Aquila ukulele sugar strings: are there available a few haters because squeack noise?

mimmo

Reaction score
Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)
Hello guys,
Mimmo of Aquilastrings here.
After a lot of efords and failures I think to have found the solution to the squeak of the Sugar strings that affect some 50% of the uke players

May I ask -please- a few of volunteers that are real haters of the Sugar string's squeack in order to test some samples?

We have done the test on classical guitars and no problems at all.:D

Unfortunately I have not so many samples.
I want real haters dudes, those that thinks that it is impossible to play due to the squeack. :D
pleaase mail me to: aquila@aquilacorde.com and tell me the complete address (no piobox please) plus a pone for the mail service (and which is your forum nick name...).

I have available all high g versions of soprano, concert, tenor. No available strings for different kind of instruments ( 6, 8 string tenors, banjolele etc) and all the low G tuning.
Maximumsample quantity: right for two kind of instruments

The test is for the sample A and for the sample B (two different version of squerckless strings: it is interesting which will be the winner)
Mille grazie
Mimmo

Last edited:
Can I just say, I think it is really awesome that you are asking for input on these new strings directly from the community. :)

Can I just say, I think it is really awesome that you are asking for input on these new strings directly from the community. :)

Let me second this. I love that you are continuing to tweak and work on different strings, and I love that you are asking for input directly from the community.

Me too, email sent. Thank you!

Damn, missed the boat! I won't use the squeaky sugars so I hope the experiment is a success as I liked them otherwise!

Hello guys
I have reached a good quantity of sugar string haters ! :D
Thank you very much
I must stop. Very good response dudes !
Mimmo
Ps I enjoy a lot about your support

I am impressed. Took about 90 minutes (before I even was awake) for all those haters to surface. Not sure if that is a measure of success by itself!

Good luck with the test Mimmo.

I count myself as one of the people who stopped using the strings because of the squeaks. It drove me nuts, and never went away completely. Though they were much less noticeable after a month.

I liked the sound very much otherwise.

Sorry to have missed out on this. I thought that these were great strings in many respects. I loved the tone, ring and projection. I did have some issues with the squeak. Thanks to Mimmo for doing such a great job in coming up with new products and solutions. I look forward to hearing the results.

I'm very curious to know how this turns out. I really loved the way the sugars chimed, but had to take them off due to squeaking. If the squeak is gone but the sound is still so nice, I'll buy the new version!

I'll wait for the new version to come out, but I wish the new ones have a different name or someway to distinguish them from the original ones. It happened with the reds that the "newer" ones were less prone to breakage, but it was a lottery for the user to get new one as there were so many old ones still in the store. New Sugars? (just like the New Nylguts)

Just my thoughts. Thanks Mimmo for a great set of products.

Eugenio

Aquila Stevia?

well, I will add on the envelope a small gold or yellow star written: 'squeckless'.
So will be iImpossible to confond the new ones with the old version.
However before to go ahead I wait the verdict of all the Sugar string haters!
Take care
Mimmo
Stevia ? ja, in my cappucino dude...

I’ve heard about the squeak issue before and I definitely feel some “texture” on the strings but I have sugars on two ukes and they don’t squeak for me, lol. I play mostly fingerpicking too... maybe I have weird Spider-Man fingers :eek: I don’t think I’ve ever had strings squeak on me though unless I’m purposely trying to create that sound :confused:

I’ve heard about the squeak issue before and I definitely feel some “texture” on the strings but I have sugars on two ukes and they don’t squeak for me, lol. I play mostly fingerpicking too... maybe I have weird Spider-Man fingers :eek: I don’t think I’ve ever had strings squeak on me though unless I’m purposely trying to create that sound :confused:

Haha, probably the opposite of Spiderman fingers! One tip I've heard (and it sort of works for me) is to use hand lotion if the strings are squeaking. I think it depends on your skin type/condition whether or not the strings squeak.

I think it depends on your skin type/condition whether or not the strings squeak.

That is probably true. I found that the dryness of winter and the dryness of my skin increased the problem.

That is probably true. I found that the dryness of winter and the dryness of my skin increased the problem.

+1. I didn't like needing to moisturize my hands before playing to avoid the squeak, since I never need to do that with flouros. The tone of the Sugars was great though; hopefully the new version will fix the issue.

+1. I didn't like needing to moisturize my hands before playing to avoid the squeak, since I never need to do that with flouros. The tone of the Sugars was great though; hopefully the new version will fix the issue.

I can't wait to hear the results. I agree the tone was great.

Top Bottom