What's your Ukulele story?

I love these stories! Keep 'em coming!

My first recollection of a ukulele is from when I was a small child. My Grampa had a ukulele that he would bring out once in a blue moon and upon which he would perform a rousing rendition of Abba Dabba Honeymoon. Me and my sister would go nuts.

Then I grew up and the ukulele fell off of my radar until I was in my 30's and on a business trip to Hawaii. I remembered my Grampa's ukulele and I decided that I had to bring a ukulele home from Hawaii as a souvenir. It was a cheap Hilo, but I fell in love with it and caught the ukulele bug.

One day, much to my chagrin, the bridge popped off right in my face. I glued it back on with superglue, but it popped off again. After repeating this process a couple more times, I realized that it was not going to work and that I was now without a functioning ukulele to play.

I quickly ordered a cow-colored Fluke (aka Mookulele) with an under-saddle pickup. Now I could plug my "mook" into my guitar amp and crank it up. And that was just incredibly fun. Since then I have added a blue Flea ukulele and a Lehua Concert Uke, made in Portugal.

I could blather on for hours more but I won't bore you. If you are interested, you can find more of my ukulele story on my blog, Ukulele Babylon.

Keep on Uking!

Go Cat Dave

P.S. Click here if you would like to see my YouTube uke vids.

Here's mine. I grew up in hawaii in home where jazz, mostly swing and dixieland dominated the house hold airwave's, played by my father, a former amature jazz drummer. As I grew I loved music and especially singing. As a teen and young adult I had the good fortune to work in various fields with folks who could kanikapila like nobody's business, (not uncomon in the islands, many talented folks) I was always too self conscious to get involved but would take every opportunity to hang and listen. In my early 20's an older friend suggested in stead of getting high and hanging out back with 'the boy's' every night perhaps I should take an evening class at the city college, well instead of math and such, I openned the yellow pages and called every local vocal teacher, no opennings. Next I remembered the drumset my father bought me 10 yrs prior and how i wish I'd learned to play. I found a drumset instructor. So for the next twenty years I've been an amature drummer. I moved away from home to the west coast in the late 80's. But always wanted to make music and sing without needing the rest of the band. This past April after band practice I recognizeded a uke box at my keyboard players house, and asked to borrow his Mahalo souvenir soprano he brought from a trip to Hawaii. After learning some chords and a few tunes my wife, bandmate and a gifted lead singer bought me the Makala MK-T. I am now excited that she asked me to re-borrow the Mahalo so she can acompany me to the first local uke club meeting next week.
I am dig'n all your's. Thanks for sharing.
Don Parsons Jr.

I'm sure I've posted this here somewhere, but here's the condensed version. I've played guitar on and off for 40 some od years, the last 20 or so mostly Ki ho' alu, and have been mad about Hawaiian music for many years. But for some reason never really took the uke seriously. A little over a year ago my grandson was playing a uke in a school program and I thought it would be a great instrument for us to play together so started researching, found UU, and e mailed MusicGuyMic. I ended up getting a Dolphin for my grandson and his sister, and a Makala tenor for myself and it snowballed from there, we now have 5 soprano's, 2 concert's, 2 tenor's, 2 baritone's, and I just ordered an 8 string tenor! I've also gotten in to building and repairing/restoring uke's (and guitars) and have several vintage ukes and banjo ukes in various states of repair. UAS is a dangerous/wonderful affliction!

My father is a bit of a crazy guy. He travels a lot for work and is very flighty, which is reflected in his interests. One day he'll be jamming (his own definition of jamming) on the harmonica and the next he'll be reading the Quran (he isn't Muslim) or learning how to speak Mandarin. Rather than describing him as flighty, I guess he's more "worldly".

Since about middle school, he'd occasionally play the Ukulele and I'd look at it, go "Oh. That's pretty cool", proceed to forget all about it, and head back to the family computer where I would waste most of my youth. Fast forward to High School at the end of Sophomore year and I'm looking for an old Queen album in my father's closet. I end up not finding the CD but I remembered for some odd reason that my father still had a Ukulele. I searched his closet, found the uke and immediately looked online for resources. I ended up at UU after a little searching and "the rest," as the cliche creator hath said "is history".

Well.. My story is as some might look at as a sad story, but it isn't really. It is really a success story, and a happy one. I am from a musical family, but more on the side of vocals than instruments. I can sing, and am told I have a good range from tenor to baratone, however, never really been comfortable with public singing, so I just didn't much. However, at 14 years old bought an old torn up fender bass and it just felt right. I fixed the old thing up, started learning and playing bass, and if I have to say so myself, turned out quite competent bass player. I sold that old fender after working for about a year, saving every penny I could raise, and earn for my dream bass. A custom Rickenbacker 4001. It was total black on black, black bindings, cant remember the wood on the fretboard but it was a dark black hardwood as well. All blacked out, and built custom for a customer that never picked it up. A 15 year old with a premium bass like that, life is good. I played that bass in a teenage band and a Jazz band for years. I also along the way picked up the guitar, and got pretty good on it. However, even trying several times over the years, never been able to understand musical theroy, or even reading music. I tried many times, and every time I played with "music", everyone would yell at me and tell me to throw out the sheet music, and just play like I always have. From the heart. It was more soulful and everyone loved it. So, I did. Fast forward several years. After years of abuse to my body in sports, and an active lifestyle, my body started to rebel. I then was involved in an accident that accelerated artritis, back and leg issues. It took my love of guitar away as well, because I could not play due to arthritis and pain issues as well as morbid obesity creeping in. My hands would not work as they used to. About 12 years ago I was in a deppresion over my health failing me, and not having a musical outlet any longer other than just playing it from a masive LP and CD collection. I would always catch myself tabbing air guitar to my music collection. One day I was turned onto an awesome talent. A voice of an angel, and from a brother that shared allot of the same health issues I had. Yeah, it was "IZ" and his rendition of over the rainbow. I watched videos, and started collecting some of his stuff. He inspired me, a man that size, can still enjoy his craft, but in a small little guitar that I always laughed at because of what Tiny Tim did to it many years before. I had no idea that such sweet music could come from one of those. I had to get me a Ukulele. I found an instrument again, that even I can play that didn't aggravate my arthritis, or other issues, and I could carry it around where ever i went. So, basically, I became the whiteboy mainland version of IZ, and even tho I did not deserve the comparison, was flattered when I was called that. Been in love with the Uke ever since. As far as my guitar, well, success story there, because my 13 year old daughter has "it" and has picked up my torch with that, and plays very well for a gal her age. She and some friends have now formed that "teenage" band themselves, and I was proud to give her that torch. And she even plays the banjo, and my Ukes from time to time.. Life is good..

Last edited:
A friend brought a uke over while we were playing guitar and fiddle. My wife liked it borrowed it, I bought her one, I bought a baritone, then another soprano, concert, etc. We formed a band, great fun, now the band is two ukes and a bucket bass most of the time. Great fun, get to spend fun time with my wife of 32 years. I think it's about all we do when we aren't in the slave mines.

Wow, you guys! I really appreciate the response I got on this thread! So many interesting stories. And no, not one of them bored me! It's fun to see stories like these. Thanks for sharing, everyone!

I love these stories! Keep 'em coming!

My first recollection of a ukulele is from when I was a small child. My Grampa had a ukulele that he would bring out once in a blue moon and upon which he would perform a rousing rendition of Abba Dabba Honeymoon. Me and my sister would go nuts.

Then I grew up and the ukulele fell off of my radar until I was in my 30's and on a business trip to Hawaii. I remembered my Grampa's ukulele and I decided that I had to bring a ukulele home from Hawaii as a souvenir. It was a cheap Hilo, but I fell in love with it and caught the ukulele bug.

One day, much to my chagrin, the bridge popped off right in my face. I glued it back on with superglue, but it popped off again. After repeating this process a couple more times, I realized that it was not going to work and that I was now without a functioning ukulele to play.

I quickly ordered a cow-colored Fluke (aka Mookulele) with an under-saddle pickup. Now I could plug my "mook" into my guitar amp and crank it up. And that was just incredibly fun. Since then I have added a blue Flea ukulele and a Lehua Concert Uke, made in Portugal.

I could blather on for hours more but I won't bore you. If you are interested, you can find more of my ukulele story on my blog, Ukulele Babylon.

Keep on Uking!

Go Cat Dave

P.S. Click here if you would like to see my YouTube uke vids.

My bridge broke off of my cheap little Hilo too! It's still at the music store where I got it from. I've been without a uke for three days and I'm going nuts without it! I have a feeling though my Hilo won't be the same, so I'm investing in another uke. Not sure what to get yet. Thanks for your story! I'll be checking out your vids!

I actually got started on my ukelele as a joke. My friend matt owns a guitar shop here and got me a ukelele for my birthday as a joke, he thought it would be funny because i'm 6'8 and black. but as i started playing around with it I fell in love.

I have had a ukulele of some kind since the mid 1960s. I started playing more seriously about 1968 and at the same time started playing guitar. I have played both ukulele and guitar ever since. I also play bass, keyboard, bow psaltery, pennywhistle, recorder, harmonica, various percussion instruments, and others...

My mother was a country-music songwriter with a Nashville contract. We had all sorts of country music "stars" coming and going when I was a kid. My father's family was big into show tunes and Irish music. I played music with my father's family and my parents' country music friends, and was performing by age twelve. I was singing since I was five, so I started really young. In the late 1970s, I played southern rock, and rockabilly, classic rock, etc... I still played ukulele this whole time, but not as often as the music business demanded other things.

Move forward to the late 1980s, headed to the Catskill Mountains and Poconos to teach fly fishing by day and play music by night. I played all acoustic guitar with an occasional electric guitar (lead) track. I also played a lot of bass at that time. Recorded two albums of original tunes in the early 1990s and played lots of shows in various places. Left the Poconos/Catskills and headed for Columbus, Ohio in December '97.

I picked up my ukuleles more and more during the last thirteen years. I married a gal from Cincinnati who came from a jazz/swing family. My father's family was big into jazz, swing, big-band music, Irish music, and my wife's family was into all that. We hit it off and I have them now playing ukuleles.

I started publishing Ukulele Player Magazine (issue one was released December 3rd, 2008) to provide a publication exclusively for ukulele enthusiasts.

I guess I love ukulele because it is a cheerful instrument. I love old show tunes, old melodies, Irving Berlin songs, Bing Crosby, old jazz and blues, too. I can play a mellow uke in the den without waking up my wife. Every day begins with coffee and ukulele. While I still play a lot of guitar, and I still perform on stage occasionally, I play for the love of music and most of the time, that means ukulele.

I've played piano my whole life, and I also like to sing. I always admired my mom who sings very well and accompanies herself on guitar. I wanted to find an instrument that I could take with me wherever I went, to sing with. I've never been able to play guitar... I get frustrated easily once my hands start hurting. So in 2004 I started hearing more and more about ukulele.

I also love Hawaii, its culture, and its people's unabashed respect for nature. That is really something to admire. Also, I love 1930s music, culture, fashion, all of it! The uke has an important role in both Hawaii and 1930s America, so I knew it would be a good match for me. I did not take to it immediately. I'd never learned how to strum before, so it took a couple of years to catch on and not give up. The hobby really took off in 2007 for me.

There is something so special about the ukulele that can't be put into words. For one thing, it's cute and the perfect size to hold (everyone can find their perfect-size uke whether they're a child or Iz!!). Also, it's one of the most beautiful sounding instruments... it can ring like a bell, be mellow and comforting like an old parlor guitar, or twang like a banjo. But it's not trying to imitate any of those instruments, it's got its own voice!

Last edited:
There is something so special about the ukulele that can't be put into words. For one thing, it's cute and the perfect size to hold (everyone can find their perfect-size uke whether they're a child or Iz!!). Also, it's one of the most beautiful sounding instruments... it can ring like a bell, be mellow and comforting like an old parlor guitar, or twang like a banjo. But it's not trying to imitate any of those instruments, it's got its own voice!

That is so true! I like to think that no two Ukuleles are the same, even if they're the same model from the same manufactourer, they each have their own voice!

Having had no previous musical experience, I started playing drums in a punk band at age 40 (it's never too late to learn an instrument!), but quickly wanted to start expressing myself musically without the limitations of a drum kit. The guitar seemed too intimidating, plus I wanted something out of the ordinary and easier to learn, and the idea of getting a uke just popped in to my head out of the blue. Now our band has added an acoustic set (yes, a punk band with an acoustic set of old country tunes) so now I play uke and sing on stage. I find it very rewarding.

All of my friends like to go out drinking and getting completely smashed - I don't, so I found myself isolated since I preferred to go out for a meal or to see a film, or do something exciting than getting drunk for the sake of it. One day I saw GUGUG on Youtube doing Theme From Rawhide, and it just stuck. I found those cheap Mahalo's on eBay for all of £12, ordered a bright yellow one, and then sat there everyday for 6 months playing and thrashing away.

My parents bought me a Sammick (Greg Bennett) concert uke for my birthday the following year, I kept practising and eventually went along to a folk sing-a-round on a nearby village. Everyoen was really supportive and wanted me to go back, so I did, kept learning new songs and getting more and more encouragement, until eventually I was being invited by them to come along to other folk nights. I bought a Bruko uke, which was several steps above the Sammick, did even more folk nights, and then bought myself an Ohana 35SG. After that I was invited to play in two bands, one of which would be a trio of a guitar, fiddle and me with the uke.

3 years from starting playing the uke, having previously no experience with making music nor any interest in doing so, we went busking at Whitby Folk Festival and really gelled together, and have now been invited to other Folk Festivals as well as a few gigs around the local area.

Suffice to say, my confidence is sky-high at the moment! :D

I was in a used instrument store looking at a set of Conga Drums when I spied a Soprano Uke hanging on the wall. I had never seen one in person, so I picked it up and started messing with it and one of the guys working there asked if I played.
I told him no and he said "You Could" and showed me a few chords C, Am, F and G and said with these I could play alot of songs, so I bought it.

When I was about 10 I wanted to play guitar. Back then there were not little guitars and everyone said I was too small (young) to play guitar.
My Grandmother bought me a ukulele thinking it was a small guitar. The uke is a Harmony Roy Smeck with a plastic finger board. I use present tense as I still have the uke some 50 years later. They gave me a book with some songs and chord diagrams and said have fun. I never had a lesson just sat there plinking with my felt pick for hours at a time. When I was a sophmore in hs my parents bought me an electric guitar. In the 60's the guitar was cool, not so the uke.
A few years ago I picked up the uke and found I really enjoyed it. My path then crossed with James Hill and his swing ukulele class, as they say the rest is history. I am now deeply entrenched in ukulele. I still play guitar, but never am far from a ukulele.

Cool thread! My grandparents went to Hawaii in 1962 bringing me back a Martin Ukulele I was 6- still have it. I had it for years playing a little because Grandma had one encouraging me to keep playing. Finally around 2000 I saw the light and have played every day since. Love the Uke!

The uke is a Harmony Roy Smeck with a plastic finger board. I use present tense as I still have the uke some 50 years later.

I am so envious of you that you still have yours! I started for the same reason - when I was little there were no small guitars - but sadly, I no longer have that first uke. Sigh.

One morning I just woke up knowing I had to play the ukulele. Very strange, since I have never played any instrument, and no one in my entourage does either. Perhaps the ukulele god whispered in my ear that night...

I bought a Kala Ka-S thinking I would put the uke down and not touch it after a few weeks. I just thought it was my latest fad, and would blow over especially since I have a busy schedule.

But it didn't blow over and I fell in love. I was able to find some time for uke playing (not as much as I want to though) and for my bday, my bfriend got me a Kala Flamed Maple Concert!!!!

Just a beginner, but so happy I had that epiphany!!!! Such joyous sound!

PL yed the guitar for 3 or 4 years and in 2009 i saw charlieissocoollike playing a ukulele in some of his videos. THen in about May 2010 I asked my dad if i could buy one he laughed and said i will have a look for one. That JUly he found one it was a Stagg US10 soprano for £25. I had a guitar worth £300 pounds in the house and yet I could not put this ukulele down. At first I thought it was a toy but then I found Aldrine and Jake on youtube and I started to play even more. I finally got a decent uke that Christmas which was a Greg Benett uk 70 pkn, and well the rest is history.

Top Bottom