Priorities!

Sorting through everything is incredibly difficult and when you finally figure it out, you may still be wrong about the virus since so much remains unknown, even to the experts.

Here are two pieces I have processed that shows how serious it might be:

First is the Washington nursing home that reports 23 deaths and 63 cases. The total population there is 120 residents and 180 employees. Many other nursing homes will (or have already) have the virus infect patients and workers.

The US has 330 million people. If only 10% are infected (some project 40 - 70%), that is 33 M people. At the low mortality of 1%, that comes to 330,000 deaths. Likely few, if any, communities will be untouched.

I have been on spring break this week and now will be teaching my face to face classes online (along with my current online ones) until at least April 3rd.

The leader of my uke group at our Thursday rehearsal announced that our two day a week meetings of about 35 seniors will be cancelled for the next 3-4 weeks. The suggestion came up to do it online. How do you do that, my research shows it might be a little complicated for many of our members.

I just came back from a little restaurant and the grocery store, and the reality of this pandemic finally hit me. The restaurant I go to is a little place that serves huevos rancheros. Despite having my salubrious influence for decades, my wife still eats flour tortillas. To her shock, there were none to be had. Evidently, the TP hoarders are also cornering the market on processed grains. Now the tragedy has landed on our door step. We had to go buy store-bought flour tortillas with a veritable pharmacopeia of ingredients. On a comical note, I noticed that the only frozen vegetables that remained were brussel sprouts and lima beans. Not even an epidemic and the thought of starvation could make those items more palatable. I guess I have had a bunker-mentality even before this flu, so that I have a 25 pound bag of red beans as well as other dry goods. You guys freaked me out, so I did buy an extra jar of tomatillo sauce. So now my ukulele and I are prepared for the quarantine.

Some weeks before the scare, I did a shopping trip to Whole Foods and picked up a couple of large packages of organic no sodium corn tortillas (I have high blood pressure) and to make it easier to load, I ordered online a couple of taco holder trays, so I'm all set.

Also, about a year ago I read that toilet paper has gone from 4.5" wide to 4" which I thought was dumb. I got online and found some that were still 4.5" so I ordered a case of 96. When they arrived I found that they had less layers, which I also think is dumb. I gave my mom half and I stuffed my half in a cabinet. I don't buy into this panic at all, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with it.

Last edited:
Diarrhea and GI distress has in fact been part of the symptoms that some ppl infected with COVID-19 have experienced. Of course that's really not why ppl are hoarding TP.

Also, for those who have recovered from the virus, we're seeing 20-30% reduced lung function in lots of cases. If you can avoid getting sick, that's the way to go.

I’m wondering why everything is being pushed back to the end of March. Does someone know that this bad stuff will be over then? Will there be TP a’plenty? Will there be school, sports, etc? Will UUers be able to serenade the old folks?

I can hardly wait ‘til April 1, but I hope I’m not a fool. Or are better days a’comin’? :eek:ld:

Last edited:
My guess, because there's not been official comment, has to do with a couple of things: 1) US COVID-19 trajectory tracking strongly with what we saw happen in Italy. According to that, Italy is about 11 days ahead in terms of the spread of the disease; 2) suspected average incubation period of 14 days (this number is more of a standard incubation period associated with our understanding of the flu. COVID-19 has some documented examples of 9-27 day incubation.)
The next two weeks would therefore be the most critical period for reducing the spread of the disease in the hopes of preventing a full-blown pandemic.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a stack of 100 $1 bills?

No, thanks. Do you have any idea where 100 $1 bills have been? :eek: :stop:

Toilet paper will be back pretty quickly, I don’t worry about that.

COVID-19 will get serious in places and not in others places. The only silver lining that might come of it, will be the realization that it isn’t the other guy, but it is all of our responsibility to not get someone else sick. While I doubt it will happen, if people thought less about protecting themselves and more about protecting others, it would make things better, not just in this instance, but going forward. I don’t think anyone who boasts how it is no big deal, would want to see a list of people they infected, including the ones who didn’t recover.

So far it is not a big deal for me, I just have take the steps to make sure I don’t make it a big deal for someone else.

John

Very well said, John. I am hoping that the outcome of this whole thing is that people see what can be done when we cooperate. Then maybe we could take on something like oppression and violence, a bigger presence working together like peoples' lives depend on it.

deleted by request of kohanmike

(deleted by request of kohanmike)

BTW, as someone over 60, I also fall into one of the risk groups. And with the asthma I developed from breathing in all of that crap while working at Ground Zero in September 2001, it raised me up a notch. And I work for a school district. I'm not going wacko crazy about things, but I'm very glad that as a former paramedic and food service worker, I always wash my hands very well. 'm just hoping everyone else does, too.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
always wash my hands very well. ''m just hoping everyone else does, too.

-Kurt​
And therein lies the rub... or lack thereof.
If there's community spread (and at least one case is suspected of being such), social isolation will be key.

I’ve been researching Poverty In America and came across this quote by Laurel A. Rockefeller. I think she speaks to all of us.

“Just think how much better your life could be if you and everyone around you learned what our parents, grandparents, and great grand-parents from the Greatest Generation learned: we are all connected, every life is valuable, every life (human, plant, and animal) is precious, every viewpoint is valid. When we transcend our petty momentary desires, we find ourselves and our world enriched. Empathy evolved among humans because it fosters life. We need each other and we need communities. Let us all endeavour think before we speak, look at life through the view-points of others, and care about those around us.”

Excerpt From
American Poverty
Laurel A. Rockefeller
https://books.apple.com/us/book/american-poverty/id930612339
This material may be protected by copyright.

Tom

Hey Tom, thanks for the quote. I was also thinking about our ancestors lately. Namely, I was thinking how much better people are going to be eating during the quarantine. When I went shopping today, i noticed a lot of canned vegetables were missing from the shelves and I thought "well, good for my adipose American brothers and sisters. They'll be eating more at home and grazing less at McDonald's. They'll be eating a lot more like our ancestors and that's good." My motto has always been it my great-grandma didn't know about this food, I shouldn't put it in my mouth.

Hey Tom, thanks for the quote. I was also thinking about our ancestors lately. Namely, I was thinking how much better people are going to be eating during the quarantine. When I went shopping today, i noticed a lot of canned vegetables were missing from the shelves and I thought "well, good for my adipose American brothers and sisters. They'll be eating more at home and grazing less at McDonald's. They'll be eating a lot more like our ancestors and that's good." My motto has always been it my great-grandma didn't know about this food, I shouldn't put it in my mouth.

These aren't your nan's cans. :p With all the sodium and additives for canned, flash frozen is by far a healthier alternative assuming one has the means to keep things frozen solid. by the looks of it, people will definitely be doing more home cooking, which on balance should be better for a number of reasons... including staying in and not becoming a vector.

These aren't your nan's cans. :p With all the sodium and additives for canned, flash frozen is by far a healthier alternative assuming one has the means to keep things frozen solid. by the looks of it, people will definitely be doing more home cooking, which on balance should be better for a number of reasons... including staying in and not becoming a vector.

Nutrition is on a sliding continuum. For you and I canned vegetables would be a step in the wrong direction. For members of the Fast Food Nation it would be a step in the right direction.

I’ve been researching Poverty In America and came across this quote by Laurel A. Rockefeller. I think she speaks to all of us.

“Just think how much better your life could be if you and everyone around you learned what our parents, grandparents, and great grand-parents from the Greatest Generation learned: we are all connected, every life is valuable, every life (human, plant, and animal) is precious, every viewpoint is valid. When we transcend our petty momentary desires, we find ourselves and our world enriched. Empathy evolved among humans because it fosters life. We need each other and we need communities. Let us all endeavour think before we speak, look at life through the view-points of others, and care about those around us.”

Excerpt From
American Poverty
Laurel A. Rockefeller
https://books.apple.com/us/book/american-poverty/id930612339
This material may be protected by copyright.

Tom

I’m not certain that that view ever was commonly held but it is a view that I hold and I wish that more people did too. Thank you for drawing this book to my attention. It seems to me that folk mostly cling to their own dogmatism and believe that the only allowable and valid view is theirs.

Last edited:
Get a bidet seat, and you won't need TP. :)

I never did learn to use one of those, but my feet stay pretty clean. Outhouses! That’s the answer! But, heck, we don’t have Sears & Roebuck Catalogs any more either!

Modern times indeed! :eek:ld:

Last edited:
My friends,
As a retired health care employee, there's nothing hoaxie or fake about this. If you're offended by the flurry of media attention, pick up a book and educate yourself about what is a pandemic and how populations are affected.

We are SO fortunate to have all of the professional news media (not OPINION mongers like Fox, etc.) researching and reporting along with real experts.

There NEEDS to be up to date information available so that we can make decisions based on the most accurate information available at the time. I don't consider the Rose Garden "praise-the-leader" session in any way informative. Put on the real scientists, medical officials, and people who have to deal with everything on an minute to minute basis. To that orange stained narcacist... shut up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom