UWC 2012, Ukulele World Congress

Freeda,

I thank you too! I particularly am enjoying fingerpicking that version of "The House of the Rising Son" and lovin' it.

The version I have been practicing is Am, C, D, E, F. Damn that E chord! I can almost never get a clean chord.

This one uses an E7 which I never thought to try. A revelation!

I've always played it with an E7 on the uke - I often do that when a song calls for an E unless it sounds bad - and usually it doesn't unless the song is in the key of B or E and not in a blues or jazz style.

In HOTR, which is in the key of Am, the "proper" chord in that key would be an Em, not an E. The chromatic G# in the E is used to create tension to force a fast resolve back to the tonic so the dominant works fine because it also wants to resolve.

At least...that's my story and I'm sticking to it until corrected by somebody who actually knows this stuff... :)

John

Last edited:
I've always played it with an E7 on the uke - I often do that when a song calls for an E unless it sounds bad - and usually it doesn't unless the song is in the key of B or E and not in a blues or jazz style.

In HOTR, which is in the key of Am, the "proper" chord in that key would be an Em, not an E. The chromatic G in the E is used to create tension to force a fast resolve back to the tonic so the dominant works fine because it also wants to resolve.

At least...that's my story and I'm sticking to it until corrected by somebody who actually knows this stuff... :)

John

Yep - I play it with an E7 as well.

Back to the topic - I was getting ready for bed last night when I realized - "this time next week I'll be bedding down at the cabin in Indiana!"

John

Back to the topic - I was getting ready for bed last night when I realized - "this time next week I'll be bedding down at the cabin in Indiana!"

John

Indiana is a bit far to go on my budget, but I wish y'all a great little summit...hope to see videos here on the forum.

Took my faithful steed in for an oil change today...one more thing to check off the "UWC checklist." Also picked up some odds and ends - a couple of tiki torches and citronella oil, etc. Planning to buy a shade tent or screen house if I can find time to get to Cabella's.

I also picked up a larger plastic box for my strings, uke tools, etc. Man, my calibrated eyeball is failing! The box I had was just slightly too small to hold all the strings and whatnot I have now. The one I just brought home is about four times as large - now everything rattles around loose. Well, maybe if I throw in my Renaissance wax and some rags it won't seem such overkill... :)

John

Indiana is a bit far to go on my budget, but I wish y'all a great little summit...hope to see videos here on the forum.

Sure hope you can make it some day. Would be a real treat to rub elbows with you. If we could get you and Jon here the same year that would be a double treat for all us fans of old-time and old blues stuff!

E is a bastard, that's for sure! :) That, B flat, and Fmaj7 are the bane of my existence lately.

Just to reiterate, cheer, or +1 what Rob said - learn your Bb and the other movable shapes. Learning the closed or movable shapes lets you play any song in any key with little effort. Bass and rhythm guitar players spend a lot of time playing "the box." The same technique works on ukulele, too. With a little thought you realize that there are alternatives to those chord transtitions that you used to hate and suddenly the key of F (F, Bb, C or C7) becomes ridiculously easy instead of dreaded.

I play bass in a praise band and I've taken this to the extreme that I don't have chord names on my lead sheets - just the degree of the scale and "character" of the chord (maj, min, 7, etc). I got in this habit when we used to have a leader who would come in Sunday morning and say, "man, my throat is shot, I can't sing that in F today" and we'd have to move it to E or Eb. :steam:

John

Better get an epipen just in case.

Or, I could get an apipen, and coral them. Or write them nasty letters in a language they would understand.

Most likely, if one comes near me, I will just scream like a school girl and run away with my arms flailing in the air.

Or, I could get an apipen, and coral them. Or write them nasty letters in a language they would understand.

Most likely, if one comes near me, I will just scream like a school girl and run away with my arms flailing in the air.

Noted! Just found out kiddo is out of school Wednesday. Will see if we can come down earlier. I am so excited and grateful to Mike for putting this on!

Wait... there's bees? I don't get along well with flying insects that have dangerous weaponry.

They seem to be pretty well behaved because, honestly, I don't remember seeing a single bee last year. Not saying there weren't any, but I don't recall seeing one. I was kind of surprised when Mike mentioned hives, in fact. I also don't remember seeing a lot in the way of flowering plants around the field (just lots of trees and bushes and grassy stuff), either, so the bees are probably seeking nectar elsewhere...

John

Hey there! I rewrote the lyrics to 'Sweet Home Alabama' and turned it into 'Needmore Indiana.' Please give it a look. I'm hoping that a bunch of us will jam on the song, the more the merrier. It has but three chords: D, C, and G.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/236184839465/

I had trouble getting the PDF here so I attached to the Facebook UWC group instead.

According to the theory of aeronautics the wingspan of the bee does not have enought surface area to support it's body weight. But the bee is unaware of all this and just goes from flower to flower and makes a little honey everyday.

Hey there! I rewrote the lyrics to 'Sweet Home Alabama' and turned it into 'Needmore Indiana.' Please give it a look. I'm hoping that a bunch of us will jam on the song, the more the merrier. It has but three chords: D, C, and G.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/236184839465/

I had trouble getting the PDF here so I attached to the Facebook UWC group instead.

Hey Ronin - if you e-mail me the PDF I can toss it up on my web site and then post a link to it here. Gotta help out us FB holdouts!

This is an awesome idea. I wish I had a spare small bass amp - I'd bring the UBASS 'cause Sweet Home just cries for a walloping bass. I promised to leave my kickback at the church so the guy filling in for me could use it and my only other bass amp is a 4 X 10 G&K Goldline - great amp but just a bit much to drag to Indiana in my little Kia!

John

Top Bottom