Every Day Carry: What's in your pockets?

I keep a large empty jerky can and drop the days change in it every day. At the end of 3 months I lug it to the coin machine and walk out with an average of 60-70 dollars.
Ernest

But if I did that, I would have to do all that work, and I would not net a dime, because the change fairy would simply withdraw more money from the joint account when she needed it.

This is what I carry on myself most days, 'cept the watch goes on my wrist and not in my pockets.
Ernest
pe1.jpg

Nice to see a cigar smoker here. I'm a pipe man myself, but I've been known to enjoy the occasional cigar.

Watch: Rolex (on my wrist, not my pocket)
Phone: Droid
Wallet: Coach
Sunglasses: Maui Jim or Oakley handing from shirt collar or on top of head.
Car keys.

Not much else for me. I used to carry a Leatherman Micro but it weighed too much if I wore dress slacks or suits. Also, I had two of them confiscated on separate occasions at airport security when I forgot to take them off the keychain. I just keep a full sized Leatherman in the car now.

I carried a leatherman Micra for several years too until I switched to the Squirt. I'll admit that the keys etc do weigh a bit in dress slacks, but it's worth the weight to me, since I'm so glad to have it when I do need it. I'd take other stuff off my keys before the Leatherman. And haha, when I fly, I only take my wallet, phone, and watch. Everything else gets checked. Guarantee that TSA guys take stuff from the confiscated items box.

I keep a large empty jerky can and drop the days change in it every day. At the end of 3 months I lug it to the coin machine and walk out with an average of 60-70 dollars.
Ernest

I carry the squeeze-to-open plastic change holder, as previously mentioned. If it starts to get heavy or full, I remove all but the quarters. The pennies go into a large plastic jug on the floor in my room. It must be about five gallons in capacity, and is nearly full. Why I haven't taken them in to exchange them is beyond me. The dimes and nickels go into a metal coin bank on the piano. I raid the bank and wrap them right before every vacation, then I take the wrapped coins to the bank and get "pocket money". Both my wife and I follow this regimen, and the dimes and nickels really build up. If I accumulate more quarters than I want to carry, I just spend some....

I raid the bank and wrap them right before every vacation, then I take the wrapped coins to the bank and get "pocket money". Both my wife and I follow this regimen, and the dimes and nickels really build up. If I accumulate more quarters than I want to carry, I just spend some....

That's a much better way to deal with the coins than coinstar. I dont remember what coinstar charges, but it's steep. Something like seven cents on the dollar. Especially for quarters, where you can easily make $10 rolls, and get the sleeves from the bank for free, I always found coinstar to be a huge ripoff.

My pipe lighter and tamper. Love a good pipe in my mouth and a Ukulele in my hand.

Its too bad the man-purse never caught on.

I'll carry a green canvas Diesel bag at times. I picked it 'cause it looks like the gasmask bags of WWI. I'll carry a camera, book(s) and a sammich/ or snacks. If I carry my man-purse, I'll throw in my pocket notebook, pen and reading glasses.
I will usually carry my man-purse if I have court duty, jury duty, have to work in another office that day or simply go on walkabout throughout town.
I like my canvas bag but may upgrade if I find a leather bag like the one Tom Cruise carried in the movie, "Valkyrie". The one he used to try and blow up Hitler.
Ernest

Last edited:
Wallet: Gucci Wallet- Simple black wallet. Great quality. Have bandaids, guitar pics, fresnel lens (for starting fires) and an tiny 8GB flash drive in it.

What? no rubber thingy...and you think you are prepared....

I'm not too tech savvy so I carry an Atlanta phone directory, a map of the USA, Canada and Mexico, coins for the pay phone, bubble gum, a bag of popcorn and my car keys. It's very difficult to move fast with these in your pockets.

I'm not too tech savvy so I carry an Atlanta phone directory, a map of the USA, Canada and Mexico, coins for the pay phone, bubble gum, a bag of popcorn and my car keys. It's very difficult to move fast with these in your pockets.

And I thought I had Luddite tendencies.

Stainless Steel Rolex on the wrist
Elephant leather wallet (from a preservation group in Africa, before y'all kill me)
7 year old Blackberry that's on its last legs, but refuses to give up, thank goodness
iPod touch
In my backpack is:
My MacBook
Songbooks
an old, dirty pair of socks I forgot to take out.
2 bags of Werther's Originals
This week's comics
and
my Lanikai, safely in its case from Mainland.

(The wedding ring is tattooed on...)

My pipe lighter and tamper. Love a good pipe in my mouth and a Ukulele in my hand.

I used to smoke a pipe almost all the time, until I moved to where smoking is all but illegal. I kind of miss it.

My EDC...let's see...

Keys
Rick Steves tourist wallet with coins and picks, and some walking around money in it
Wallet with only the essentials (ID, bank cards, insurance cards)
pocket comb
Swiss Army knife (the one with everything) in a belt pouch
9mm and 2 magazines (many places)
Casio G-Shock wristwatch
eyeglasses
hat (Barmah, fedora, or baseball cap)
hearing aids
iPhone

In the backpack to & from work:
hearing aid batteries
Moleskine notebook (or several)
iPhone charging thingy
harmonica
roll of film (don't know why, but there it is)
couple of pens
ipod
rosary
several dice
jump drive
usually some crackers or a granola bar or something
steel thermal coffee cup

I'm a minimalist for simplicty/laziness.
I wear no jewery except wedding band.

Right front pocket: Samsung phone (I don't put anything else in this pocket to protect my phone)

Left front pocket: Sm maglite, sm 'old timer' pocket knife (cuz it was my dad's knife that he carried) My keys are in the same pocket but hang from my belt loop.

Right rear pocket: bi fold wallet with a Lic and few cards never any cash(not cuz i don't like cash, i just never have any)

Left rear pocket: plastic bag for cleaning up after my avatar 'Nena'.
DAP

Last edited:
I've gone minimalistic. About five years ago before heading on vacation I went through my wallet and got rid of at least half the stuff in it. Now I just carry a slim little thing with a few cards and bills in it. And since I'm surrounded by clocks all day I don't wear a watch.

Slim wallet, keys, iPhone, and a bottle opener on the keychain. Because it sucks to have a bottle of beer and no way to open it!

If anyone here is really interested in this stuff, there is a rather extensive forum on this very subject.
http://edcforums.com/forum.php?
There are some very cool collectable trinkets, toys and gadgets here.

Oh....and I EDC three flashlights, two knives, a multitool, a whistle and a mini prybar.
Total value of those items alone is $1000 and I have backups for my backups.
If you think UAS (ukulele aquisition syndrome) is bad, try high end watches, knives, and flashlights etc.

Top Bottom