Sonny D “Ohta San” Bell Shaped Ukulele - Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

steel rider

Reaction score
Sonny D “Ohta San” Bell Shaped Ukulele - Long Neck Soprano/Concert

Edit: Sonny calls this a 16 7/8 Tenor scale ukulele, so it's essentially a long neck soprano. The bell shaped body adds volume and makes it seem almost like a concert to me but I suppose it is not quite concert sized. It has the bright sound of a soprano with the playability of a tenor neck.
------------
I bought this ukulele a few years ago (you can see old post on UU), had a lot of work done by Mike of DaSilva Ukuleles including: Lower action, new nut and bridge, install MISI active pickup.

I don’t play it at all still, as I have too many ukes and tend to only play the same two. I also really want to fund a cyclocross bike purchase.

If you know about Sonny D you know they are hand made by him in Hawaii and most every one is quite different.

This uke is made of several woods including an olive. It’s quite resonant and loud. I’m sure I changed the strings but I don’t recall which. They look like Aquila Nygluts which I don’t tend to use. He meant it to be low g but it’s strung hi g now. You can see Sonny’s hand written specs and writeup in the photos, which I think is pretty cool.

This was a demo model used for a concert I THINK by Herb Ohta Jr. but I cannot confirm that.

I paid $350 plus $125 for the DaSilva work, plus maybe $75 for the pickup. Selling for $425 plus any shipping but would rather sell local. I don’t have a case specific to this uke and I don’t own a gig bag to include.

It’s a beauty that got a lot of comments at the uke gatherings but I never bonded with it.

That’s all I can think of at the moment!

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 253
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 141
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 160
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 137
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
more pics

Photo of the back and Sonny's hand written spec sheet.

Attachments

• F.jpg
    F.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 93
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 117
Was hoping for a pretty quick sale. Is this price too high?

IMO it’s a special uke, but I guess it needs someone who will appreciate it. Maybe someone a bit quirky. Too bad no one like that plays the ukulele! :)

Sorry about that. I just sent you a PM with my number and I deleted my inbox messages.

Thanks!

Last edited:
MISI Pickup

Still available. Pickup is a MISI. Wish I had it on my other ukes. Convenient wall charging.

Attachments

• 5E21763D-3C1F-44A4-85EA-B36F8DC9E59F.jpg
    5E21763D-3C1F-44A4-85EA-B36F8DC9E59F.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 25
Nice looker, but it looks a bit like a long neck soprano in your pictures, maybe adding some dimensions will help a sale. :)

Unfortunately/fortunately, I have enough ukes - plus it's the wrong Continent for me, luckily. ;)

Funny I was just thinking that after speaking to someone about it, and came here to do exactly that!

Thanks!

Nice looker, but it looks a bit like a long neck soprano in your pictures, maybe adding some dimensions will help a sale. :)

Unfortunately/fortunately, I have enough ukes - plus it's the wrong Continent for me, luckily. ;)

Really interesting build. I imagine the new nut and saddle improved the sound. MiSi pickups are very nice.

Really interesting build. I imagine the new nut and saddle improved the sound. MiSi pickups are very nice.

It definitely improved the playability by lowering the action. Sound is still very loud and bright, which I think you want for a small bodied uke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom