How many here have started with a Makala Dolphin or own one?

Not my first uke, but my first soprano. Very nice uke from UR.

Last edited:
It wasn't my first but I got a black one last summer. I wanted a small travel uke and this one is nice.

My only problem is that I want one in each color......

I have 2. I keep one on hand to play in the pool/at the beach, and one that isn't covered in sun block to play at parties. I've bought a bunch to give to teenagers.

ETA And no, it wasn't my first uke.

Don't have one, never had.

I keep thinking I should get one to take to the beach, then remember there's no beach to take it to. Maybe one to take on day hikes in the mountains if I stumble across one (probably would have to be red burst). Saw a blue sparkly one in a music store last weekend, but it didn't sing to me.

Started with a blue burst.

So has my daughter ;)

Attachments

• AK&Dolphin2.jpg
    AK&Dolphin2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 25
The dolphin was my second ukulele. The first was a really cheap mahalo. I got the dolphin from you (uke republic) but I still had to do a full action setup job on it myself. The mahalo was much better set up out of the box, just had to sand the nut down a bit (practice before doing the dolphin).

It's not a bad ukulele atall. My daughter has taken up ownership of this one (my son claimed the mahalo). It's a bit muted for my taste, I haven't changed the strings out from the original aquilas. And I prefer the flat fretboard on the mahalo to the rounded one on the dolpin.

Btw, anyone have strings *other* than acquilas they like on the dolphin?

Last edited:
I bought 2 (1 red burst, 1 purple) for my grand kids at the same time I bought my first, an MK-T. And have since bought 3 more (1 pink, 1 yellow & 1 black sparkle) for the next 3 grand kids, and they were so much fun I had to get myself a blue sparkle. I'm planning on another for the 1 yr old when she gets big enough!

As you well know, I got an orange one at the end of February as we were visiting various sets of relatives during the month of February. My brother in law said it played like a dream. And it was true, it was really nicely set up. And while I liked the sound, I couldn't wait to get back to my usual ukes.

I gave it to my niece on the last leg of the trip, though since we had the maximum amount of luggage you can have when traveling with an infant, I really couldn't bring it back.

That is too cute! I rarely say too cute :)
She gets it from me. The ukulele, that is. Her looks are a different question.

I gave it to my niece on the last leg of the trip, though since we had the maximum amount of luggage you can have when traveling with an infant, I really couldn't bring it back.
You, sir, are awesome

I have a few Dolphins that I've acquired for the purpose of giving them away. I've kept the first one I bought, a yellow sunburst, for sentimental reasons and to have an inexpensive soprano on hand in case the need for one comes up. I also have a plastic yellow Mahalo "smiley face" soprano.

Not my first uke, but my Yellow dolphin is basically on permanent loan to a 10 yr old. I get to see both of them every month or so when a small group of us get together to play (and eat and talk and....)

I had one. Gave it away to my friends five year-old, cos I wasn't playing it. She loves it!

I started with an Evergreen. They don't sell makalas where I live and haven't got up the nerve to shop online. So - no - I don't have one.

Top Bottom