Season 395 - Spicks and Specks

EmmaX

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi friends!

The world near me is currently on fire, and power/etc may not be reliable, so I will post a video as soon as I can… assuming this isn’t actually the apocalypse.

This season’s theme is ‘Spicks and Specks’!

Aussies will remember (fondly, I hope!) the music quiz/game show that aired between Feb 2005 and Nov 2011, with the BeeGees classic tune, Spicks and Specks, performed by the Dissociatives (Paul Mac and Silverchair’s Daniel Johns) as the theme song.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spicks_and_Specks_(TV_series)
YouTube has episodes and highlights of the show, but I suspect these are not available in all regions.

There were music based games, like Substitute (the guest sang unrelated words, eg the text to a car repair manual, to the tune of a well known song - which their teammates had to correctly identify), Word Up (teams are given five random words from the lyrics of a song, and they must then identify the song), and Step Back in Time (songs are played backwards and must be identified by the teams).

There were 277 episodes, with guests ranging from Troy Cassar-Daley to Melinda Schneider, from Meatloaf to the Wiggles. (IMDB lists 744 ‘cast’ members https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448300/fullcredits/ and Wikipedia has a shorter list of notable guests!)

Your challenge this week, Seasonistas, is to bring either:
- any song originally performed by any of the regulars or guests;
- any song originally performed by the BeeGees;
- any song performed to the tune of a different song; or
- in the spirit of the song ‘Spicks and Specks’, bring an original that sounds upbeat, but has lyrics that are much more somber/lonely/depressing.
NEW! - any song performed as a musical act on the show (not played/performed as part of the games or only mentioned in passing on the show).

Song limit this week is three (to start with - let’s see how we go!).

The winner/s will receive a prize - some shiny pins/buttons for your ukulele case!

Multi-tracking is fine, so long as the ukulele is the star (of course). Collaboration is heartily encouraged!

The season starts, as always, at 00:00 Sunday Hawaii time, and don’t forget, you still have time left on uke4ia’s Season 394: the Electric Version!

...and here’s the Playlist!

<3
EmmaX

Last edited:
Great idea Emma! I don't know anything of this show, nor many of the names on the list, but the Bee Gees, Meatload and Suzi Cuatro are a good starting point for me. Look forward to discovering some new music and artists this week. Thanks for stepping up and hosting~

I used to LOVE watching Spicks and Specks! Great theme!

Great idea Emma! I don't know anything of this show, nor many of the names on the list, but the Bee Gees, Meatload and Suzi Cuatro are a good starting point for me. Look forward to discovering some new music and artists this week. Thanks for stepping up and hosting~

My pleasure - I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone brings!

I used to LOVE watching Spicks and Specks! Great theme!

Cheers mate! I miss the show a lot, but there’s always reruns on a Saturday night - and Myf Warhurst’s weekly podcast ‘Bang On’!

Cheers mate! I miss the show a lot, but there’s always reruns on a Saturday night - and Myf Warhurst’s weekly podcast ‘Bang On’!

I'll have to check out the podcast. I miss Spicks and Specks too!

Sadly I'm not in Aus anymore so I can't get them.

Spicks and Specks is currently being being rerun on the ABC in Australia.:)

Having had a look on the list, I see Guy Garvey made an appearance once, so here's an Elbow song I've been dying to try.

Robert Forster was on Emma's guest list. He was a member of Australian band The Go-Betweens. The video here is a promotional film of Rockdale in the '30's.It's the next suburb to me in the south of Sydney.
Good theme Emma!

This week I seem to be going for artists with stunning pipes, something I sadly do not possess. My favourite moment from Spicks and Specks was when Megan Washington announced herself to the Australian by completely enchanting everyone in her round of Substitute.

So here is my favourite song from her, Cement. With added, er, artistic input from Isaac.

"I'll feel better maybe if we get some weather" is a particularly apt line for this England cricket fan. Don't think Hurricane Dorian could save this test now though

F-Bomb disclaimer.

Last edited:
Saved a bit of dignity but we've been second best in all four tests really.

We were trounced. England have major problems with the five day game. They're OK in the limited overs format but seem to fall down in the long game.

Hi all,
I’m loving all the songs so far. This is very exciting for me, hosting my first season and all!
The playlist is up!

Just a couple of points of clarification for now on:
The challenge this week is for songs originally performed (or written) by artists who appeared on Spicks and Specks (not songs that were covered by S&S artists).
The songs do not need to have been performed on the show.

UPDATE! A new criterion: songs covered by Spicks and Specks artists may be brought if that artist performed the cover on the show. For instance, Mezcalero’s example (below) of Ceberano/Campbell’s cover of Falling Slowly was performed on the show, so it is fair game for this season.

I’m going to trust everyone to make sure their song/s meet the criteria.

I hope that’s ok!
:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom