Season 432 - Solitude

Here’s a Griffs collaboration for the season with Kev (Mezcalero) on a song I wrote probably 30+ years ago. I’m doing vocals and keyboards - Kev’s bringing all the ukulele magic! What a gifted player he is - thanks so much Kev! :)

(Listen with headphones for the full experience if you can.)

Last edited:
Trying different devices to record videos... So far, the Surface Pro (v 1.0) is the best, and most consistent. This wasn't it.

Copyright 1965, Paul Simon.

Last edited:
This one is kind of obvious, I guess, but I wanted to do one I knew well so I could try out my new gadget, a Tascam DR-05X digital recorder. It's only a single-track recorder, so I still had to stitch all the tracks together with Audacity. All the reverb effects are also Audacity. This thing has really clean audio, I like it.

listening to a couple of Brian's awesome songs this morning gave me an itch to try and play some blues
it's not my thing but i gave it a went nonetheless
thank you for this week Mikkel

Thanks for hosting Mikkel! While i've been able to contribute to a couple of collaborations, this is one of 1st songs that came to mind for me when you announced the theme. Classic James Taylor cover here. Thrilled to be joined by Jon and Willie here.

Thanks for hosting, Mikkel. Who knew so much loneliness could be so enjoyable?
I thought I'd bite the bullet and try to come up with an original for the season. I set myself the restriction of writing a song about loneliness but without specifically mentioning loneliness in the lyrics. So no words like lonely, alone, lonesome etc.
Whether that was successful is up for debate.
Anyway, here's the result...

Hey Mikkel, thanks again for hosting! I'm posting this one up for Marc Hinchey! This song was his idea, so we got together at my place and gave it a go. XingXing is joining us on my lap :)

What a fantastic topic for these strange times when many are having solitude forced on them not always having friends or family around for support.I really appreciated the pictures Geoff put on to support the where Ravens feed song showing areas where I should be at this time,thank you all.

A quickie from me about a fella who Isolated in his own tortured world ……...

Howdy Gang,
My entry for the ongoing Seasons of the Ukulele Competition/Challange
Ive gone for a old hair rock classic ballad , I happened to see this band in my youth headlining the Castle Donington Monsters of Rock Festival on August 18th 1990.

OK, thought I'd do another.

Some people are happy to not be going out on a Friday.

If I keep going with these, remind me to get better lighting. I am not that colour IRL.

Last edited:
I believe that the playlist is up to date, let me know is some video is missing!

i have provided some background to this piece in the description on yt

A poem by Jorge Luis Borges

Borges is one of my favourite writers.
Here is me trying to put music to his poem.
I used some chords I don't normally use and i like the challenge. I will get my phrasing and playing better the more I do this.
The end part was me playing on, thinking I could do a fade out on my phone video editor after recording. But i found out that there is no fade out option. Haha.

The poem:
After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
And company doesn’t mean security.

And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
And presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open

With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your roads on today
Because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After a while you learn…
That even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your garden and decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure…
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth…
And you learn and learn…
With every good-bye you learn.

Top Bottom