HELP Higher string tension please...Tension chart??

markT

Reaction score
I did a few searches and never found a string tension chart.

I just jumped in to uke world and have read and researched much here about strings.
When I first got my 2 concerts I changed to Collings recommended Savarez and like them, but have nothing to compare them to...yet.

I want higher tension and possibly brighter...SO...I ordered up some Worth CD's "More hard material than CM. Powerful and sharp sound.
Hard touch."

I just put them on and they are slinkier than the Savarez! I knew they would be thinner diameter, but was hoping for higher tension.

Does anyone know where a many brand, string tension chart may be hiding or any direction I might try next??

I see the Fat CF. "More powerful and soft sound. The thickest gauge of Worth Strings."
Maybe I'll those or....???

HELP! :confused:

Unfortunately there is no such animal as a multi manufacture string tension chart, many of us wished there were. South Coast make a high tension string which I have on three tenors and I love. Be fore warned when you enter their website you will become lost and lose your mind over all the choices. The string set I like is the HML-RW which they no longer make, they have change the wound strings and it is called HML-WB. HML stands for Heavy Medium Linear. He has light, light medium, medium, heavy medium and heavy gauge.......which equal increasing tensions.

He has a tension chart for different scale length beside each string model. There are linear=low G and ukulele=reentrant and all kinds of specialty strings. Good luck

Last edited:
I'd try the tenor sets - CT or CH. The gauges are higher than the concert ones. I gave a set to a friend many years ago for her concert and it seemed fine.

Sounds like you are after reentrant C tuning on a concert with higher than average tension. This would be the Southcoast HMU-NW set here- http://www.southcoastukes.com/ukulele.htm

But you also say you might want brighter. In that case, I would recommend the LU set in Eb tuning. That should be so bright you'd have to wear sunglasses to play it. :cool:

I'd try the tenor sets - CT or CH. The gauges are higher than the concert ones. I gave a set to a friend many years ago for her concert and it seemed fine.

+1 I have found this to be a good solution - if you mostly like a particular concert string set, but would prefer a little more tension, then try the equivalent tenor set.

So, if you are otherwise happy with the Savarez, I would say try the Savarez tenor set.

Last edited:
Actually, there is such an animal:
http://files.meetup.com/4654212/Ukulele String Comparison Chart.pdf
Although it doesn't show all the string tensions.

You guys are awesome! Thanks Johnson. That is a big help.

Brad...I had about come to that conclusion. Except either CH or CF.

Dave & Jim..the southcoast site was confusing at first but lots of good info.

jollyboy, I like the tension of the Savarez concert set. The tenor set is thinner diameter so it would be less tension on my concert size.

All this said, I'm ok with the Savarez on my Koa, but the Mahogany is a little darker and thicker sounding. Also, the action is a tad low and if I can raise it a touch with higher tension, all will be well. The CD's lowered the action and feel like rubber bands.

jollyboy, I like the tension of the Savarez concert set. The tenor set is thinner diameter so it would be less tension on my concert size.

Blimey, so it is - unusual. Anyway, if you're thinking of going with Worths - there is a downloadable excel sheet on this page that cross-references string gauges with tensions (at each scale).

String tension is simple to calculate ( linear formulas ). There are several string tension calculators around the internet. But the formula is ( or should be ) just about identical on each one. If you give it a try, you should quickly be able to think for yourself about tensions. For instance, if you put a larger diameter string on in place of what's there now, and you tune it up to pitch, the tension will be greater. If the string material is denser, ditto. There are charts around of the densities of various plastics, though sometimes you have to guess what proprietary string company's plastic nick name is which plastic. The differences aren't that much. What I'm saying is, if you are even a little comfortable with simple calculations, you can figure this stuff out and dispel most of the mystique.

You guys are awesome! Thanks Johnson. That is a big help.

Brad...I had about come to that conclusion. Except either CH or CF.

Dave & Jim..the southcoast site was confusing at first but lots of good info.

All this said, I'm ok with the Savarez on my Koa, but the Mahogany is a little darker and thicker sounding. Also, the action is a tad low and if I can raise it a touch with higher tension, all will be well. The CD's lowered the action and feel like rubber bands.

I run CH. Wanted the CF to be heavier gauge all around, but only the A string is thicker. Doesn't make sense to me. The A string in a CH set is plenty tight. It's the others that could use some more mass.

I run CH. Wanted the CF to be heavier gauge all around, but only the A string is thicker. Doesn't make sense to me. The A string in a CH set is plenty tight. It's the others that could use some more mass.

Thanks so much friends. All has been a big help!

I see that Brad. Thanks!

Heavy CH More hard material than CT.
Powerful,forceful and dense sound.
Hard touch. Inimitable stickiness. 0.0224 0.0291 0.0319 0.0260

Fat CF More powerful and soft sound.
The thickest gauge of Worth Strings. 0.0244 0.0291 0.0319 0.0260

Thanks for the tip Brad.

I went ahead and bought the CH and the CF set. I put the CF on first and this is what I wanted. You are correct, the A has the most tension, but not too much. I wish the C was a little thicker, but this is fine.

I can now forge ahead without worrying about strings!

The Savarez set is good on my Koa and the Worth CF feels AND sounds great on my Mahogany uke...

The charts and everyone else's comments helped me come to this conclusion. Thanks all! :)

Top Bottom