Baritone Beginner

Nick Hudson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please accept my apologies if this has been posted before, I'm sure it has, but I am a fresher to the forum and still finding my way around.

I have recently bought a Lanikai LU21B baritone uke and would like to know a couple of things:

1) Can I get strings to tune my baritone uke to GCEA, like a concert uke?
2) If so, will I be able to play the chord charts with the same finger positions as a concert uke?
3) If I can tune to GCEA where can I purchase the strings? I live in Abu Dhabi and I need a supplier that will post internationally, at a reasonable rate!

Apologies again if this has been up before..... thanks in advance :)

Nick

Aquila make a set of GCEA strings for Baritone
At least they did a couple of years ago because
I got a set to try out!
They are all plain nylgut,no wound strings included
in the set.

Fantastic - thank you very much. Sorry to be a bit dense but will I then be able to use the same fingering positions on the frets as you would for a Concert.

Yours ... Very New Ukist!

Yes, same chord shapes although it will be the "low G" sound whereas you probably have "high G" on your concert. Living Water also has a custom baritone set for GCEA although I think it is better tuned a little lower - lower tension that way

The Aquilas I had that were GCEA for Baritone
came with a re-entrant G (High G rather than
Low G) so everything was exactly the same to
play as on a soprano or concert.....

Fantastic - thank you very much. Sorry to be a bit dense but will I then be able to use the same fingering positions on the frets as you would for a Concert.

Yours ... Very New Ukist!

The traditional Baritone tuning of DGBE uses the same fingering positions as a concert (or a soprano or tenor) just a 5th lower, whether you string it linear (low D) or reentrant (high D). If your only concern was the finger patterns, I'd recommend a set of Southcoast HU-W3 strings and tune to DGBE to have a great reentrant tuned baritone sound. If you'd prefer GCEA -I'd still recommend doing the research on the southcoast website - I'm a huge fan of their strings.

I too prefer the DGBE dropped tuned....but if you still like they have GCEA strings....good Luck....

Hilo also puts out a baritone string in D,G,B,E. HMS has them. Personally, I like a baritone tuned to either G tuning or Bb tuning. C tuning sounded washed out to me on a bari.

I have one in Bb and if I want to play in C, I just put a capo on the second fret. Southcoast Strings has a great writeup on strings. http://www.southcoastukes.com/004.htm

Yes, the chords would be the same as your concert if the bari. is tuned to C.

Top Bottom