Kamaka vs. KoAloha ??

rclifford13

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between my next tenor ukulele being a Kamaka or a KoAloha. They are both beautiful and roughly the same price so what are the differences between the models? What would YOU recommend? Please help me out as I am really torn between the two! Thanks so much.
Rob

Since I'm assuming you're going to get either one mail ordered, I'd recommend listening to as many as you can on youtube and the like.

They're both quality instruments built to last a lifetime. Major difference is tone and it's impossible to argue which one sounds better.

im biased because i work at KoAloha, but in all seriousness, i like our stuff better. much easier to pick up and play. very playable and also aesthetically pleasing. we also have the best warranty since like, ever. especially compared to Kamaka's yearlong wait list for repairs

Last edited:
Not to hijack, but...I was torn between Kamaka and Koaloha and actually ended up getting a Kanile'a that I am very happy with. As long as you are considering the K's, it is a great ukulele at a competitive price, and they provide great customer service. Just a thought...I'm sure you will love whatever you choose.

Edit: I now have the Kamaka, and I play that over my Kanile'a 99.9% of the time, so between Kamaka and KoAloha, for tradition, for elegant design (over more mod looks), for historical value, I choose Kamaka.

Last edited:
do they still make Pono with Koa?

that's a tough one...

Aloha,

I've got to say that I LOVE both of these builders. They play wonderfully and hold a tone in their own rite. I must admit though...if you ever have an opportunity to play a full custom from either of these builders you'll really see (and hear) how complex a tone and masterfully built ukes can be.

ahui ho,
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

Back when I was looking into and emailing MGM I asked the same ???? about the Soprano's....
I was looking at the Kamaka cuz they were the oldest mfg. and I figured I couldn't go wrong...
He told me they are both very well built and when I asked which he would buy....
I ended up with a KoAloaha Soprano.

buy both, problem solved :)
buy me 1 while ur at it :D

*edit
jz realised ur aussie, wow... ur guna spend heaps trying to buy one of these ukes.

Not to hijack, but...I was torn between Kamaka and Koaloha and actually ended up getting a Kanile'a that I am very happy with. As long as you are considering the K's, it is a great ukulele at a competitive price, and they provide great customer service. Just a thought...I'm sure you will love whatever you choose.

I'll toss in another vote for Kanile'a. But I can understand your dilemma. I'm planning a trip to the islands and want to get a new uke while i'm there so i'm in the same boat you're in.

I'd go with the Kamaka.

Why you ask? Well to be honest it is because the Kamaka is considered as the finest factory made ukes around. While this may not be the truth (some will argue Kanile'a and KoAloha are better, and for some they are) it is true that these are fine instruments that will not only play as well as you could hope, but become an item you can treasure for a lifetime. This company has some serious history to it and by purchasing one of these ukes you are becoming a part of that history of ukulele excellence. (Since 1916!) Yes, you are paying a bit for that KK sticker (well inlay now-a-days) but when it comes down to purchasing yourself a professional quality instrument you cannot go wrong with a Kamaka.

I'd go with the Kamaka.

Why you ask? Well to be honest it is because the Kamaka is considered as the finest factory made ukes around. While this may not be the truth (some will argue Kanile'a and KoAloha are better, and for some they are) it is true that these are fine instruments that will not only play as well as you could hope, but become an item you can treasure for a lifetime. This company has some serious history to it and by purchasing one of these ukes you are becoming a part of that history of ukulele excellence. (Since 1916!) Yes, you are paying a bit for that KK sticker (well inlay now-a-days) but when it comes down to purchasing yourself a professional quality instrument you cannot go wrong with a Kamaka.

Haha i agree! I have my self a kamaka made in the 70's. It broke and i needed to send it in for a $100 repair, but its totally worth it. GO WITH KAMAKA. Thats my personal preference.

Aargh... this is difficult but I've decided to go with the KoAloha for two reasons:

1. Comes with preinstalled pickup
2. Didn't like the tone of the Kamaka in the shop

Thanks for the help!

I've got one of each. The Kamaka is made from nicer looking Koa but the KoAloha sounds better IMO.

Now, I have my KoAloha tuned with a low G and the Kamaka in high G. When I tried Kanileas in high G I thought that beat the Kamaka for sound.

So I'd say Kamaka for looks, KoAloah for low G, Kanliea for high G. Get all 3!

Top Bottom