Kiwaya - new model

Ukecaster

Reaction score
No affiliation, saw on the Bay. Kiwaya KPS-1K, supposedly a new model. Sure is purdy. Might be labeled wrong, says concert in title line, but mentions soprano in ad verbiage, plus KPS is usually sop, while KPC is concert. There's another listing for a KPC for double the price, plus shipping from Japan. But both are 14 frets to the body, I still don't get that, on a sop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiwaya-KPS-1K-HG-High-GradeCurly-Koa-Concert-Ukulele-with-Paua-Shell-Inlay-3437/323115614420?hash=item4b3b3100d4:g:QPYAAOSwCGham74K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KIWAYA-KIWAYA-KPC-1K-HG-ukulele-concert-size-Curly-Hawaiian-core-material/162774529727?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211758%26meid%3Dbebac2f8a033468184cb0b36db76657d%26pid%3D100507%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D162774529727&_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226

Concert.jpg

Last edited:
That sure is pretty, and I bet it plays like a dream.

No affiliation, saw on the Bay. Kiwaya KPS-1K, supposedly a new model. Sure is purdy. Might be labeled wrong, says concert in title line, but mentions soprano in ad verbiage, plus KPS is usually sop, while KPC is concert. There's another listing for a KPC for double the price, plus shipping from Japan. But both are 14 frets to the body, I still don't get that, on a sop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiwaya-KPS...614420?hash=item4b3b3100d4:g:QPYAAOSwCGham74K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KIWAYA-KIW...m=162774529727&_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226

View attachment 107090

Those are gorgeous! They look like they are influenced by the Takumi higher end models.

I'm curious - what don't you get about 14 frets on a soprano? I think it's great and wish it was a more common feature!

I was looking at these on Elderly's site. They really look great. Plus, they're Kiwayas. Even their cheapest ukuleles are excellent.

I think I got an email from Elderly on this as well. It caught my eye in the email. The original listing in Japan is an American expat who runs a uke shop in Japan. I would love to check that out some day. I've never pulled the trigger on ordering from him but he sounds legit.

I think I got an email from Elderly on this as well. It caught my eye in the email. The original listing in Japan is an American expat who runs a uke shop in Japan. I would love to check that out some day. I've never pulled the trigger on ordering from him but he sounds legit.

I've ordered from him - it was so easy, and shipped in two days. Highly recommended!

That is lovely, for sure. I like Kiwaya. You can also buy a very lovely Takumi 3K concert from HMS for $1,600 shipped. I've played the one they have in stock and if it stays on there much longer, I will be putting it in my cart. ;-)

When I was looking for my concert, I saw these at Elderly. They are called "Strummers." I don't know what that means exactly, but I wanted a picker. You can see slight differences between that model and the KTCs, not sure how much real difference they make.

Pretty sure KPS is soprano, and they have that one moslabeled in the ebay ad. Concert should be KPC.

Personally, for that money, I'd get a Kanile'a or other Hawaiian K brand...:shaka:

This Kiwaya KMT-K Master Series Koa Tenor looks cool too. Saw it on Flea Market, supposedly only 20 of these out there, so far.

Koa Master Series Tenor.jpg

.....I'm curious - what don't you get about 14 frets on a soprano? I think it's great and wish it was a more common feature!

I just don't understand how, with soprano scale, they could have 14 frets to the body, instead of the usual 12 of a vintage Martin, and most others. I looked closer at the specs, and see that the Takumi scale length is 350mm, or 13.7795", while a standard Martin sop is 346mm or 13.625. So the Takumi scale length is just over 1/8" longer, so I'm still not sure how they can add 2 extra frets to the body, with approximately the same scale length. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
I just don't understand how, with soprano scale, they could have 14 frets to the body, instead of the usual 12 of a vintage Martin, and most others. I looked closer at the specs, and see that the Takumi scale length is 350mm, or 13.7795", while a standard Martin sop is 346mm or 13.625. So the Takumi scale length is just over 1/8" longer, so I'm still not sure how they can add 2 extra frets to the body, with approximately the same scale length. What am I missing here?

Just as some 17" tenors have 12 clear, some 13 clear, some 14 clear, etc., the same can be true in other sizes. Fret placements are mathematically determined by scale length. How many are clear has to do with bridge placement and how many total is determined by fretboard length.

Does that help?

Last edited:

Would that be considered a soprano long neck- aka super soprano?

Top Bottom