Ukulele Computer Files

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I copied my "Ukulele" folder to another hard drive today, and I was amazed at how much was in it - 140 GB - and that doesn't include all the video files. I probably have over 1,000 songs in books and individually, as well as many articles. I'll have to go through and start eliminating things.

Of course, that doesn't include all my uke-related pictures. I think that folder is even more crowded. Things do tend to accumulate.

Backup! Backup! Backup! Especially before you start eliminating stuff. Backup first, eliminate, then swap back once you're sure you didn't toss anything you need.

Sheets that are scans take up a lot of space, usually jpg, but can also be PDF. It's best if they're original PDF files, not done from a scan. A scan can be from 500K to 2MB (2000K). I make my own sheets and save them as PDF to transfer to my iPad, they're usually 50 to 80K.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

You need to learn to do your computer house cleaning.... :biglaugh: (& yes, that is a real term in the computer world).

(Most likely you'll be better off keeping them all on an external drive, & just access then when needed.)

Backup! Backup! Backup! Especially before you start eliminating stuff. Backup first, eliminate, then swap back once you're sure you didn't toss anything you need.

Yes! I've been doing multiple backups for years. I now backup seven folders to two external drives and a NAS. I like HGST Ultrastar drives.

Sheets that are scans take up a lot of space, usually jpg, but can also be PDF. It's best if they're original PDF files, not done from a scan. A scan can be from 500K to 2MB (2000K). I make my own sheets and save them as PDF to transfer to my iPad, they're usually 50 to 80K.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yes, it's surprising how much the same document can vary in size. I sometimes use WordPerfect to convert a document I want to share. I bought a great program that reads, writes, and edits PDF. I bought it specifically to deal with ukulele music, but it's on my non-working computer, so I can't tell you the name. I tried a couple, and this was the best. It can even number the pages. I have one song book with about 183 pages, and I can make any changes I want to that. If I find the name, I'll post it.

EDIT: That was quick. The PDF program is Nitro Pro. Wow, the price has gone up since I bought it in March.

https://www.gonitro.com/

Last edited:
You need to learn to do your computer house cleaning.... :biglaugh: (& yes, that is a real term in the computer world).

(Most likely you'll be better off keeping them all on an external drive, & just access then when needed.)

Just like in my analog world, when I delete something digital, I find a need for it the next day. :D As long as I have storage room, and I can find what I want, too much is better than not enough.

Yes, it's surprising how much the same document can vary in size. I sometimes use WordPerfect to convert a document I want to share. I bought a great program that reads, writes, and edits PDF. I bought it specifically to deal with ukulele music, but it's on my non-working computer, so I can't tell you the name. I tried a couple, and this was the best. It can even number the pages. I have one song book with about 183 pages, and I can make any changes I want to that. If I find the name, I'll post it. EDIT: That was quick. The PDF program is Nitro Pro. Wow, the price has gone up since I bought it in March.

Just like in my analog world, when I delete something digital, I find a need for it the next day. :D As long as I have storage room, and I can find what I want, too much is better than not enough.

I use a Mac, which comes with an app that deals with PDFs, and I also have a graphics design app that handles PDFs, Canvas X Draw. The size of a document is based on how it was created and then saved. A scan is always bitmap, which is tiny individual pixels that make up the text and takes a lot of space, but if the page is created in an app like Nitro or Canvas, or Acrobat and saved as a PDF, the text is vector, which is done with algorithms and makes the text "live." Vector takes up much less space than bitmap.

For a short time I played uke with a harmonica player, he would create a chart on his computer, print it, then delete it. If he needed to change it in some way, he scanned it back into the computer but couldn't figure out how to make changes because the text was not live anymore. He asked me what app he needed to convert the scan back into live text. The only answer to that question is to not delete the original file. For some reason he thought he always had to delete the documents from the computer and wouldn't let go of that idea. Needless to say, as an advanced computer user, I didn't last long playing with him.

Often if I scan music I can use the Text Black/White setting and save as a 1 bit PDF. Using VueScan on my Mac & Canon Epson scanner.

If you have Acrobat Pro there is an "Optimize PDF" function in the "Edit PDF" that can sometimes reduce the size of the file.

PDF Expert is also a good app.

I love the program VueScan. I don't know if it is still considered the industry standard, but it's far better than the software that comes with the scanner. It's a one-time cost and you get lifetime updates. I had a problem a couple of times where something wouldn't work. I emailed the creator along with the log (he gives instructions) and he had a fix update within an hour or two. Just great support. He had an update ready when Catalina was released. And the software just keeps getting faster and better.

I use a Mac, which comes with an app that deals with PDFs, and I also have a graphics design app that handles PDFs, Canvas X Draw. The size of a document is based on how it was created and then saved. A scan is always bitmap, which is tiny individual pixels that make up the text and takes a lot of space, but if the page is created in an app like Nitro or Canvas, or Acrobat and saved as a PDF, the text is vector, which is done with algorithms and makes the text "live." Vector takes up much less space than bitmap.

For a short time I played uke with a harmonica player, he would create a chart on his computer, print it, then delete it. If he needed to change it in some way, he scanned it back into the computer but couldn't figure out how to make changes because the text was not live anymore. He asked me what app he needed to convert the scan back into live text. The only answer to that question is to not delete the original file. For some reason he thought he always had to delete the documents from the computer and wouldn't let go of that idea. Needless to say, as an advanced computer user, I didn't last long playing with him.

What app on the Mac lets you work with a PDF. I've never noticed it

And yes, I realize I cannot edit a PDF that was created by scanning. Since you use a Mac, you're probably not familiar with Irfanview. It's a free photo editing program, and it can convert from almost anything to almost anything. it can save images as PDF.

I love the program VueScan. I don't know if it is still considered the industry standard, but it's far better than the software that comes with the scanner.

I've been hearing about that for years, but the Epson software works okay on my V600.

What app on the Mac lets you work with a PDF. I've never noticed it. And yes, I realize I cannot edit a PDF that was created by scanning. Since you use a Mac, you're probably not familiar with Irfanview. It's a free photo editing program, and it can convert from almost anything to almost anything. it can save images as PDF.

The app is Preview, which replaces Acrobat Reader. Not only can view and save PDFs, it also handles JPG, TIFF, PNG, and other bitmap images. It does markup and can insert saved signatures into a PDF. It can do a certain amount photo editing, and also allows adding and deleting PDF pages. It does not convert scanned text to live text, but you can scan with it from a scanner, iPhone or iPad.

If I need to manipulate PDFs, I use Canvas X Draw or PDFpenPro.

VueScan and other scanner software, has a built-in OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that is very good. You save the OCR interpreted document as a PDF. The software interprets the words in clumps of text. So you have boxes of text that are not connected to the other boxes.

There are several free OCR apps available. Some of them say they allow you to save as a Word document.

Adobe Acrobat Pro also has one built into the app. You can change text, but not easily and it really screws up the word spacing and page layout. You could also replace an image with an equally sized one under Edit PDF..

VueScan and other scanner software, has a built-in OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that is very good. You save the OCR interpreted document as a PDF. The software interprets the words in clumps of text. So you have boxes of text that are not connected to the other boxes.

Canvas X Draw used to do that, but in the latest version they fixed it, but each text line is separate because of the chord diagrams.

Last edited:
Going back to 140Gb, that is a lot of stuff.

First maybe work out a way to organise into folders if it is not in folders already.

If you think 140 GB is a lot, you should see my garage. :D

I don't like to throw anything away because I'll probably find a use for it someday. I take the opposite approach to printing. I prefer to save things digitally, although I do have a mountain of printed songs. When I go to jams, I use my Kindle, but I don't want to get rid of the printed versions.

I do have my files organized into folders, and I occasionally go back and delete and organize. I didn't realize that I have instructional videos in the uke folder. That one folder has 120 GB of data, so most of that 140 GB is video.

Uke Folders.jpg

Top Bottom