Best clip on tuner

billcarr

Reaction score
Browsing Ebay I see clip on tuners range in price from a couple of dollars to $50 plus.

Is there any real difference in performance to warrant the price diff? What would be the best clip on out there? (besides a well trained ear)

Bill

Edit. To answer my own question the Peterson StroboClip looks like the ultimate clip on. It has a built in uke mode and highland bagpipe mode which would be handy for me. I just wonder if it might be a bit overkill with all those features.

Bill

Last edited:
Is there any difference between the snark sn2 and sn8 if you're only using them for ukes? Been meaning to ask this for awhile, so I'll. just piggyback on this thread.

I like the Ohana. Cheap, compact and works great. I also have a few Snarks and they are good too!

I like Snarks because they are not that accurate...The Peterson's are too accurate so I'll be spending too much time.

Ukes are constanly out of tuned anyways!! If you want perfect intonation, play a violin or something with no frets!

I like the Ohana. Cheap, compact and works great. I also have a few Snarks and they are good too!

I agree--I own about three Oahu tuners and about ten Snark tuners. The best? Oahu, hands down. See Aaron's vid here.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/oahu-clip-on-tuner.html

Smaller, better color in matte black, sticks up significantly less than Snark, much better head clip than Snark, turns itself off after use (Snark=dead battery when it inadvertently turns itself on in your gig bag. you'll see).

Last edited:
I will probably get a snark eventually. I know they are popular. Currently, I am still very happy with my Tiki Gogo tuner.

I have had a coupe tiki gogos and a snark. The snark is much better.

One of the tiki's died on me. Snark seems more accurate and more responsive. And you only have to hit the button, not hold it down, to turn it off. Small difference but noticeably less of a hassle.

I have only ever tried these to but for $10 on amazon i love the snark.

I have tried different types of tuners, and the Snark is the best bang for the buck. It's easy, just push the button for On, and push it for Off. I have several Snark's, i like the SN-1 and SN-6, both work great. And you can't beat the price. I get mine from Amazon.

I like the Cherub tuner that mmstan gave me..you can change the pitch of each note with no problem

I like my snark, but I like my intelli imt-500 better.

That is interesting. I have looked at those before they look nice. One I haven't seen a lot of love for is the Korg AW2U with the Honu on it. That one keeps calling me to try it out. Wondering if anyone here has tried one.

I like the Cherub tuner that mmstan gave me..you can change the pitch of each note with no problem

Hey Lenny, you're not supposed to tell everybody he he....let them like their snarks and intells... snark snark....hee hee LOL

Hey Lenny, you're not supposed to tell everybody he he....let them like their snarks and intells... snark snark....hee hee LOL

oh I forgot it was a secret.. haha that is all I say from now on..I know nothing(Sgt. Schultz)

I agree--I own about three Ohana tuners and about ten Snark tuners. The best? Ohana, hands down. See Aaron's vid here.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/oahu-clip-on-tuner.html

Smaller, better color in matte black, sticks up significantly less than Snark, much better head clip than Snark, turns itself off after use (Snark=dead battery).

Clarification: tuner recommended in the video is Oahu. There is such a thing as an Ohana tuner but it's not the one in the vid.

That is interesting. I have looked at those before they look nice. One I haven't seen a lot of love for is the Korg AW2U with the Honu on it. That one keeps calling me to try it out. Wondering if anyone here has tried one.

Hey Richard the Korg was my main turner before I got the Cherub..I like the Korg a lot and would be still using it if it wasn't for the Cherub

I never saw the Honu on it until now haha

I like the NS mini they sell in the UU store. Super small, functional, and helps support UU and the boys:)

I like the NS mini they sell in the UU store. Super small, functional, and helps support UU and the boys:)

I got one of those too..planet waves right..I use it when I take a uke out with me..you can leave it on and hard to see it on the headstock does not stick out anywhere

I got it from the UU store too..

Top Bottom