Season 382 Connections

Clever idea John, as near as damn it a play what you want season. I never realised Bye Bye Baby was a 4 Seasons song but I know the Rollers were a Scottish band originally founded by two brothers, I think I've found my link to get started although I may lean more towards Rod the Mod's version.

Clever idea John, as near as damn it a play what you want season. I never realised Bye Bye Baby was a 4 Seasons song but I know the Rollers were a Scottish band originally founded by two brothers, I think I've found my link to get started although I may lean more towards Rod the Mod's version.
Pretty much play what you want mate, yes, so long as there’s a connection. I’m interested to see what wierd and wonderful connections Seasonistas make just as much as the music itself. I think Wee Ginga Yin used to be in the Rollers by the way ;)

This weeks challenge from the Ukulele Underground is to make a CONNECTION to the
Intro song by the host... One man and his Uke. He chose to play Bye Bye Baby.
So the connection is to the title that has Bye Bye in it and my contribution is Bye Bye Blackbird
which is a song published in 1926 by the American composer Ray Henderson and lyricist Mort Dixon.
It is considered a popular standard and was first recorded by Sam Lanin's Dance Orchestra in March 1926.
Diana Krall did a version used in the soundtrack of the movie Public Enemies, which captures the pathos of the song.

My connection falls into the category of "The Bleedin' Obvious" . An original.I was going to call it exactly the same as John's song but in these days of copyright angst I've expanded it to " Bye Bye Baby the blanket is unraveling". baritone in DF#AD.

Bye bye baby
Its time that I went
The chatter is idle
The poetry is spent

Our old love letters
Are grocery lists now
Empty shelves
Cracked church bells
Madness of the crowd

Forever is prone to lightning
Undying is suspect too
The blanket is unraveling
The warmth between me and you

Distance as the crow flies
Time played off a break
You’re scared you start to wonder
If the giver’s on the take

John and Linda grew together
Jane and Henry grew apart
We just grew indifferent
Tiredness of the heart

Undying is suspect too``

Bye Bye baby there’s winter talk of snow
Swallow told me man go south
The sun still runs the show
I know I need the heat
I know I need the shine
I know I need the memory
Of the days that you were mine

Undying is suspect too``

Bye Bye baby
Its time I was gone
Thank you for the kindness
The latitude
And the song.

Last edited:

Will be expecting a Proclaimers song from you then? :D

Mine is a simple but tenuous connection. From Four Seasons, to Joy Division. Both have had biopics made about them, albeit the Four Seasons one was a stage show. It made sense to my sleep-addled brain at 6am. Both songs could also be interpreted as falling out of love with someone you can't leave.

Here's a Carl Smith song from the 50's, and the connection is this song, like Bye Bye Baby, is about a married guy who sweetly dumps a girl he's been seeing on the side, but in this one some hanky panky has taken place. Carl Smith was a white hot country artist in the 50's, women went wild over him. A bit about him that could help someone make some connections this week. He was married to June Carter long before Johnny Cash married her, and Smith and she had a daughter together, Carlene Carter, who at one time was married to Nick Lowe, and later was Howie Epstein's girlfriend, in a drug addled relationship. Epstein was Tom Petty's bassist for a long time.

Season 382. Submission 1. "I'm Not In Love" (Written by Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman, 1974-75) Recorded by 10cc in 1975)

Thank you for hosting and your wonderful theme, John.

This one is on the subject of saying goodbye and was selected in response to your fine performance of "Bye Bye Baby."

Tenor ukulele on this one (amped)

Well we’re off to a flying start already. Thanks ladies and gents. Keep em coming. I will check back later tonight if I get time, or more likely tomorrow morning. Keep going down those musical rabbit holes :)

The Bay City Rollers were a Scottish band founded by two brothers, the Sutherland Brothers were a Scottish band founded by, you've guessed it, two brothers.
Rod Stewart, who incidentally had Scottish parents, took his version of this Sutherland Brothers song to the top of the UK charts back in 1975.

connecting with our host's starting song, "bye bye baby" thus - going from the year the bay city rollers version of that song was released (that's the version of the song i know best) - 1975 - and looking to see what songs the mighty t rex released as singles that year - nothing i haven't covered before, and i don't like to chew my cabbages twice! but the B-side to one of the t rex singles was this song, "chrome sitar", which i haven't covered before, so here we are!

It's the early hours of the morning and I'm waiting for the cab to take us to Stansted, and thence to Sicily. So I'm not going to risk waking everyone up. But this is kind of like Mornington Crescent, isn't it?

Bye Bye Baby by the Bay City Rollers? Well then, there's two routes you can take .

Route 1: Bye-Bye Baby. Baby's in Black. Black-Eyed Peas. I-I-I-I-I-I can't give you anything, but my love. Love will keep us together. Together in electric dreams. Dream baby, got me dreaming sweet dreams. Sweets for my sweet, sugar for my lover. That sugar baby of mine. Bye bye baby, baby good-bye. Mornington Crescent!!

Route 2: Bay City Rollers. Rolling in the Deep. How Deep Is Your Love? Love, love me do. Do-wah diddy-diddy-dum-diddy-do. We are the diddy-men & we come from Knotty Ash. Ashes to Ashes, Funk To Funky. Play That Funky Music, White Boy. Boys Cry (When no-one can hear them cry). Cry-I-I-I-ing over you. You're the one that I want. Guantanamera. The Wind Cries Mary. Just Blew In From The Windy City. Bay City Rollers. Mornington Crescent!!

Arriverderci! :)

By all of which I mean to say, great theme, John! Sorry I won't be able to join in :(

Last edited:
This is a song about connections. I wrote this several months ago, but this is a recording I just made for this week. There's a more polished recording with better audio quality on my originals only channel. I was sort of finding my way through it again because I haven't kept in practice with it. It's too difficult, not technically, but emotionally.

I didn't know you
You didn't know me
Only once by design we met
I wouldn't have known you
You wouldn't have known me
Except for the internet

We met only once, irl
But that was enough, I could tell
And from then on I hoped to call you friend
We talked and laughed and shot the breeze
I knew you and you knew me
But like all times, good or bad, it had to end

Connections of technologies
Connecting our biographies
Connecting us with friends we've never known
New ways to know them
New ways to show them
New ways to miss them when they're gone

Everything we have seen
Everywhere we have been
All searching for new places to belong
And suddenly, on social media
I started reading memoria
That's how I learned that you were gone

If I didn't know you, tell me why
Why do I feel such emptiness inside?

So terribly amused at how a single song can be seen so differently from two sides of the Atlantic. I even paused and thought “he is playing a Four Seasons song?”. Anyway, the Bay City Rollers only did one song to American ears (sadly) and it is about Saturday I think...but I chose to use the Valli thing and go with my Juice Newton connection because I felt the world was screaming for a cover of this on the Ukulele.
Anyway, both from New Jersey, here is me practicing great restraint in not doing a Bon Jovi song complete with pyrotechnics (Mel holding a candle).

Now, I grew up around music. It was playing all the time in our house, from moms fifties and doo-wop to dads country...it was never quiet and the TV was never on.
Back to moms Doo-Wop. I love me some Doo-Wop, some of it full of innuendo, some of it amazing in terms of vocal harmonies, and I have collected a lot of it from tiny labels and unknown foursomes pulled in off street corners to be offered $10 to cut a record...
And I play it when mom is over and she shrugs and asks for two things.
Dion and the Belmonts or Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.
I of course oblige her, but to me this is so watered down compared to what was recorded during that era...but she loves her Italian guys singing doo-wop and really, you don’t argue with my mom.
Anyway, I guess it is what she was exposed to...clean cut versions of what was street music, at least she never asks for the Crew Cuts or the Lettermen...
This song is also from an overly clean cut band that plays a fifties style of music. They are also from New Jersey. For some reason my mom has never warmed to them.
The Misfits.
I said 383 because I am an idiot.

Top Bottom