What are some rock bands where bass players sing?

Peter Cetera - Chicago

Yeah, they were a rock band once upon a time!

Chicago Transit Authority is a truly great album with great bass lines and singing.

Here's a few more:

Peter Cetera - Chicago
Mark King - Level 42
Dickie Peterson - Blue Cheer
Richard Page - Mr. Mister
Tony Lewis - The Outfield
Jesse Colin Young - The Youngbloods
Colin Moulding - XTC
Randy Meisner - The Eagles
Timothy B. Schmidt - The Eagles
Tony Jackson - The Searchers
Justin Currie - Del Amitri
John Waite - The Babys
Chip Hawkes - The Tremeloes
Trevor Horn - The Buggles
Rob Grill - The Grassroots
Glenn Hughes - Deep Purple
Andy McCluskey - OMD
Curt Smith - Tears For Fears

- Steve

Chicago Transit Authority is a truly great album with great bass lines and singing.

I put Peter Cetera at the top of my list before I saw your post. I always enjoyed his bass playing and was very pleased when Bass Player magaine did a cover story about him a few years ago. I had though everyone (including Peter Cetera himself) had forgotten what a creative player he was.

- Steve

Also, Boz Burrell.

You know, I feel really stupid, because when I said "Greg Lake", I thought of both ELP AND King Crimson... I have no idea how I forgot BOTH of these guys... and to think I just ordered "Larks Tongues In Aspic", "Starless And Bible Black" and "Red" from amazon.com yesterday.... Sheesh! John Wetton had one of the coolest distorted, grindy bass tones I've ever heard. Boz Burrell is of course much better known as the non-singing bassist for Bad Company, but I did know he sang on a couple of Crimson albums (or was it just "Islands"?).

Last edited:
JJ Burnel - The stranglers

Wallace you owe us a beer...

Last edited:
You know, I feel really stupid, because when I said "Greg Lake", I thought of both ELP AND King Crimson... I have no idea how I forgot BOTH of these guys... and to think I just ordered "Larks Tongues In Aspic", "Starless And Bible Black" and "Red" from amazon.com yesterday.... Sheesh! John Wetton had one of the coolest distorted, grindy bass tones I've ever heard. Boz Burrell is of course much better known as the non-singing bassist for Bad Company, but I did know he sang on a couple of Crimson albums (or was it just "Islands"?).
"Islands" and the live album "Earthbound", which most Crimso fans hate, but I am quite attached to.
And don't forget Gordon Haskell, bassist and vocalist on the "Lizard" album.

After consulting my lawyers and realising my mistake, I suggest that I got the whole thing the wrong way round! Curt Smith was never behind the curtain playing bass.

He did really play bass though. I've seen live vidoes of him playing a Steinberger back in the 80's and a Hofner Club more recently. Some Tears For Fears records used synth bass, but "Head Over Heels" had a nice bass guitar part.

- Steve

Top Bottom