Tuning in 5ths - CGDA or GDAE

GrumpyCoyote

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Putting this question in this section, because you lot are the likeliest to know about string dimensions and stresses on the bridge.

I'd like to play around with 5ths tuning on the uke, as opposed to 4ths. For example, Viola/Violin (Mandola/Mandolin, whatever) tuning on my tenor, and eventually an 8 string if I like it.

I did the obvious thing, and just started cranking on a low G strung with a standard GCEA set- but nearly lost a bridge in the process. Clearly not the best call. Tuning it down is likewise problematic - too mushy and floppy.

Any advice as to what nylon or fluorocarbon strings dimensions I should try to get there without popping my bridge off?

And yes, I could just play a mandolin (and do) but I want that nylon/nylagut feel and the "ukie" tone.

I've heard of peopel using classic guitar strings. I don't know if that would helpm but its another option.

I'm 99% sure I saw they sell Aquilla strings for 5ths. I think MGM knows about this. I think it's a great call. I play mando too. For me it would be awesome to have another uke tuned to 5ths so when I get together with bluegrass pickers, I can play Fiddle Tunes a whole lot easier.

One day... I'll have both ukes.

I'm 99% sure I saw they sell Aquilla strings for 5ths.

I've also heard this, but for the life of me I can't find where to buy the set. And I'm good at finding things.

Top Bottom