10 Months at Ukulele - Still a beginner or maybe an advanced beginner

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I am a little envious of guitar players switching over to uke and then saying "I've only been playing this for 3 weeks" or.. that guys selling a DVD on ebay saying he's only been playing 3 hours and now wants to sell you a DVD because he's mastered the ukulele and his comment about playing with the ibanez "they are all the same anyways". But... I'm sure those people put in the work beforehand so why can't they be happy that crossing over is fairly easy?

Fo me, the 10 months has been fun. work. fun work.

I read some powerful suggestions about the uke from UU yesterday and from Daniel Ho and feeling reinspired to play less sloppily, trying to master the instrument and not defile it with sloppy play.

All I can tell you is: My wife and I had a massage therapist in the house last night. There were 5 kids running around doing their thing. They all felt compelled to try to figure out what I was doing on my uke.. meaning.. I was stealing their attention away from the TV. With scales practice.

That was cool.

And. After taking a break from the uke, I sang some of the songs aloud. To me, it sounds like the singing is better. I don't know; but, I've always been leery of singing in public because I don't have any pitch control. It seems that as I continue to try and mimic the melodies with my voice that the practice MAY be paying off. I don't know. I DO know. I just haven't put it out there for others to judge. I'm still shy about it. I look forward to trying that and not hiding behind a harmonica.

It is much easier if you have played the guitar. After all, a ukulele really is a small guitar with a few less strings. The concepts of chords and finger picking and strumming to some extent are all transferable.

Now, I am trying to figure out how the massage therapist fits into your story.

It is much easier if you have played the guitar. After all, a ukulele really is a small guitar with a few less strings. The concepts of chords and finger picking and strumming to some extent are all transferable.

Now, I am trying to figure out how the massage therapist fits into your story.

haha. She had her 2 daughters with her. We live in Thailand.

THe truth of the matter is. We were in a hotel room and I was getting a foot massage. My wife sleeping next to me. My wive's 2 kids came to visit, the Masseusse' 2 daughters came to watch TV while mom worked and one of my wive's kids brought his gf.

So, I just said kids in the house because it would sound better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom