Hello from an old beginner

old and slow

Reaction score
Hi all. I've recently decided to take up an attempt to learn stringed instruments. And thought this would be a great place to enhance my learning experience.

I bought a Charvel Surfcaster A/E at a pawn shop on a whim, and then it snowballed a bit from there. Added an old beater 7-digit sn Yamaha G-85A classical acoustic guitar, pawn shop clearance deal, that I really like.

Then I decided that what I really wanted was a baritone ukulele to learn with. I had a ukulele when I was a kid, so I am somewhat familiar with the instrument. But never had any training or came close to mastering it.

I drive a truck on weekdays, and often have an hour or two or eight that are available for extracurricular activities before I get home in the afternoon/early evening. A baritone uke seems like about the maximum size instrument I would want to carry around. And about the maximum size that I could comfortably play from the drivers seat while sitting around.

So my search continued for a used baritone ukulele. But I wound up with a Mandolin that seemed to cheap to pass up. Another pawn shop clearance deal.
Figured even if I didn't play it that it might look nice hanging on the wall. A different kind of art if you will.

Then bought a Fretlight 500(pawnshop clearance). A mistake, but cheap enough that I hope to recover most or all of my expense.

And then a way too cheap like new Dean EX-SN that I didn't really want. But just couldn't walk away :p

So I plan on selling most of these. All except the vintage Yamaha which I really like. And I'll probably add a Les Paul copy that I've been eyeing for quiet unplugged practice at home.

But I really want a nice baritone ukulele as my go-to instrument of choice. Unfortunately these seem to be rare on the used market in my area. So I have come here seeking knowledge in buying and learning this instrument in every way I can.

I don't know where you are but I have a Brunswick BU4B baritone uke and its fantastic. Laminate mahogany, sounds great and cost me about £70

I am near Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. Had been considering getting a Makala with the hard foam case just to get started. But the Brunswick may be something to look at.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I haven't been able to access the site for a couple of days. Kept getting a message from my devices that said it was unsafe. And when I tried to bypass it got a screen that said there wasn't such a site.
Only happened on the forum. The regular UU site was accessible.

Welcome, I started at about 65. It is great.

Then I've got a little head start on you. And hopefully not as slow as I suggested.

Maybe my screen name should've been "slow to get old". And have aspirations to become associated with "slow-hand":cool:

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome, old and slow! I had the same problem you did re accessing the forum. Not sure what the problem was, but it's good to be back. You will quickly discover that this place is addictive. :)
Jan D,

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I haven't been able to access the site for a couple of days. Kept getting a message from my devices that said it was unsafe. And when I tried to bypass it got a screen that said there wasn't such a site.
Only happened on the forum. The regular UU site was accessible.

Welcome. Seem like you already have UAS. Enjoy!

Welcome, old and slow! I had the same problem you did re accessing the forum. Not sure what the problem was, but it's good to be back. You will quickly discover that this place is addictive. :)
Jan D,

Thanks Jan D! It is somewhat addictive. I just got my first uke since I was a kid, an old Giannini baritone, and found myself out lookin at some mulberry logs that I have with ideas about building a dugout/bowl back Baritone with a 21" scale length and a slightly wider than spec neck!
Luckily they all had some cracks in them so I was able to put that craziness on the backburner for the moment.

Welcome. Seem like you already have UAS. Enjoy!

Yes. Thanks for the welcome!
I'm trying to keep it domestic, or at least this half of the earth, and not get so deep that it includes the China Syndrome.
Been checking out the luthier's lounge most recently.
Will probably be diving into all the local cigar shops dumpsters soon enough! ;)

Top Bottom