I'm going to make some concert size Ukes

Timbuck

Reaction score
I'm going to make some concert size Ukes (thread update)

It all started off when I received this e-mail from a Guy in CA.

Hello Tim,
I have seen your videos on You Tube and like your instruments.

I an 75 years old and my mother passed on a few years ago. She did play the Ukulele with a senior group. Anyway, I have recently discovered a complete original Martin soprano neck in a box of her things. Evidently the sound box was badly damaged and discarded. I have never seen this neck before and have no idea where it might have come from. The neck is complete with fretboard, perfect dovetail, tuners, and nut. It still bears the martin label. I can send photos if you are interested in seeing it.
My question is, would you be willing to build a mahogany sound box for this neck? I plan on playing this Ukelele along with my mother's old Kamaka. I am not trying to deceive anyone that it is a Martin, although it deserves to look like a Martin!
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Joe

He sent me a few photo's and I came to the conclusion that it was from a Style 1 Soprano..I thought "no problem" I could easily make body to fit that co's I ve got all the jigs etc:just that size, and as a bonus I could finally get some idea of what the dovetail was really like co's they rarely break off and I'd never seen one close up ...So I took on the Job :)..When this neck arrived a few days later I examined it carefully and something didn't quite look right, the fretboard extension looked a bit big compared to my sopranos..so I held it side by side to a soprano and realised that it was a Concert neck from a Martin style 1C...and seeing as I had took on the job I decided to make a Concert size Body to make it whole and play again.
I have been asked to make a concert size Martin copy many times over the last few years and I've always declined co's I didnt have the templates or jigs..so now some materials are on the way so I can make a mold and a few templates and stuff...Here are a few pics of the neck ..As you can see the dovetail joint wasnt a great fit but it was well cut...and there is a small amount of the black white and rosewood binding still there so I can get some dimensions...also there is enough of the neck block left to get sizes from...and according to the Martin records the scale is 14 3/4" but it is actually closer to 14 7/8".

PICT0007_zpszqhyumqs by Ken Timms, on Flickr
PICT0013%202_zps93wwaf51 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
PICT0016_zpsk0a25sxg by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow Ken!

Kudos to you for helping to rescue that family heirloom for that old guy.

If someone came to me with a question like this, you'd be the first person I could think of to solve this problem.

It seems a happy side effect that you might also be creating some concert ukes down the road as a result of this project.

Mahalo!

Way cool. And once this gets figured out, can a longneck soprano be far behind? :cool:

Love reading those stories and seeing photos. :) I guess this is like a form of "reality TV" for us uke fans!

Today while I was in the shed I thought i'd make a start..so I removed the remains of the the neck block from the male dovetail with a 1/4" chisel plus hot water and a small scraper..then I made a female neck block to fit it, I did this the hard way with a razor saw, drill bit, and a chisel, and using some blue chalk to i/d the high spots..It took about 45 minutes to get a good fit and I was very pleased with the outcome (my apprenticeship is nearly over)...Also I made a routing template out of some scrap plywood ready for when the materials for the mold arrives...More pic's

PICT0007%202_zpscz0mpu1g by Ken Timms, on Flickr
PICT0013%203_zpsiianzomo by Ken Timms, on Flickr
PICT0016%202_zpscdy4nkyv by Ken Timms, on Flickr
PICT0019%202_zpsplqibk3u by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Today while I was in the shed I thought i'd make a start..so I removed the remains of the the neck block from the male dovetail with a 1/4" chisel plus hot water and a small scraper..then I made a female neck block to fit it, I did this the hard way with a razor saw, drill bit, and a chisel, and using some blue chalk to i/d the high spots..It took about 45 minutes to get a good fit and I was very pleased with the outcome (my apprenticeship is nearly over)...Also I made a routing template out of some scrap plywood ready for when the materials for the mold arrives...More pic's...

Looks great Ken!

I wish I had the patience and skill that you do. :)

He maybe an old guy to you Boolie boy...But to me he's just a young-un:eek:ld:

Maybe I should have chosen different words, I meant it more as an endearment, rather than an age indicator, i.e. "that poor 'ole guy"

But thanks. Feeling pretty ripe at 47 yrs old now, seems like everything is relative.

I wish no disrespect to my Elders. :)

I'll take one of your concerts when they come out Tim. Do you have a list to get on?

Shoot Booli, I have shoes older than 47 years; ... in fact I'm wearing a pair now older than that. Good old Converse tennis shoes of old.

If a pair of shoes lasts for 2 years, then I'm happy with them. I cant imagine how a pair of shoes would look if worn for 47 years+... ;)
Then again, I rarely change shoes unless there's a special occasion and use the same pair everyday.

Well, that was off topic!
Very exciting to see you make concerts Ken, I know they will be top notch :)!

At 28 I reckon I'm of the younger generation of UU:ers, we seem to have an older demographic here. Well, suits me fine, people have been telling me I'm an old man for 10 years ;).

Seems Ken has rediscovered his stash of motivation. Looks like it's the lack of challenge that's the problem Ken, not a lack of motivation.
Restoration of antique ukuleles? There would be enough work for several lifetimes but I suspect you'd never get rich.
Miguel

This should be an interesting thread... Matching the finish on the neck to the new body could be a challenge. Real old patina might be tough to match, but I'm sure Mrs. Timbuck is up to the challenge. Keep us posted on progress.

Ken,from some of your photos, the fretboard looks like it had been varnished, or some kind of lacquer applied. Is this so and if it is, was it done originally, or sometime later? I'm curious because I've been led to believe that one doesn't normally apply a finish to the fretboard, other than some lemon oil or similar protectant.

Bob

Ken,from some of your photos, the fretboard looks like it had been varnished, or some kind of lacquer applied. Is this so and if it is, was it done originally, or sometime later? I'm curious because I've been led to believe that one doesn't normally apply a finish to the fretboard, other than some lemon oil or similar protectant.

Bob
the finish is only on the edges as far as I can see.

Will you ever make another tenor? I missed out when you made one many years ago and have hoped you would make another

the finish is only on the edges as far as I can see.

Great! I would love to have a shot at it!!!

I have a part completed Tenor still in the Mold, it needs a back fitting ..I forgotten all about it till you just jogged my memory:eek:ld:

Top Bottom