Kala 8-String and Cocobolo

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Yesterday, I brought two new ukes to our weekly jam session - the Kala cedar 8-String tenor, and the Cocobolo tenor. Following our usual routine, both ukes got passed around for people to play for a couple of songs. Both ukes were very well received - not just "Nice uke."

For $330, the Kala KA-ATP8-CTG is a steal - if you can find one. I watched as each person began playing it, and their faces lit up.

It was the same with the Cocobolo. It looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, and feels beautiful (12" radius). There are currently several being offered in the lottery on Facebook. Prices range from $499 - $599, plus $109 shipping. I think you can avoid Facebook for the lottery.

cocoboloukuleles@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cocobolofamily/
https://www.cocoboloukuleles.com/

When I look at the prices of other premium, hand-built ukuleles, I'm reminded what great bargains the Cocobolo ukuleles are.

I played Bernice Lewis' Cocobolo a few weeks back at the Berkshire Ukulele Festival, and was enthralled. (She said she likes it better than her Mya-Moa, and couldn't believe it.) Then I played one of Jerry's for a little while at the Normanskill Strummers group last Thursday. Again, smooth, luscious sound, and a great feel while playing.

I would encourage everyone to completely ignore the lotteries; there is nothing there you want, especially not the concert ukes. Nope, don't enter the lotteries, period.

Until I win one, and then you can start entering again.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
I would encourage everyone to completely ignore the lotteries; there is nothing there you want, especially not the concert ukes. Nope, don't enter the lotteries, period.

Until I win one, and then you can start entering again.

-Kurt​

:rofl::rotfl:

Well, I should wait until it shows, but...

You can start entering the lottery now.

I won Concert Cocobolo # 412...

-Kurt​

I'm waiting for the lottery to have a cutaway. Sometime back they had a few of those.

As for 8 String I'm wanting a koa version. I have the Ohana 8 String Tenor and it sounds great.

I'm waiting for the lottery to have a cutaway. Sometime back they had a few of those.

As for 8 String I'm wanting a koa version. I have the Ohana 8 String Tenor and it sounds great.

Yes, I like cutaways. The first Cocobolo I got - in April - was a cutaway concert.

Well, I should wait until it shows, but...

You can start entering the lottery now.

I won Concert Cocobolo # 412...

-Kurt​

That's a beauty. If I played better I'd jump right in. Right now I just get the emails and drool.

Jerry-- why would you want to play a uke with more than the 4 strings? Saw them for 5, 6, and 8 strings. Do you time liner and do you tune as matching strings? GGCCEEAA? Just curious.

I occasionally play my 8-string MP tenor for the novelty of it. I have it strung with an 8-string set of Living Waters Fluorocarbons. gG, cC, ee, aa. It gives the uke a fuller, more lush sound. More like a mandolin. I can't pick it, but strummed it sounds amazing. Some songs seem to need something bigger, than a standard 4-string tenor can provide. The octave G and C really fills it out while the double E & A strings reinforce them against the other strings. I performed "One Kind Favor" playing it and it fit the song perfectly.

Besides, it's fun!

Last edited:
Jerry-- why would you want to play a uke with more than the 4 strings? Saw them for 5, 6, and 8 strings. Do you time liner and do you tune as matching strings? GGCCEEAA? Just curious.

G and C are an octave apart. E and A are the same octave. Why did I buy 6 and 8-string ukes? Because they're there. :D

I occasionally play my 8-string MP tenor for the novelty of it. I have it strung with an 8-string set of Living Waters Fluorocarbons. gG, cC, ee, aa. It gives the uke a fuller, more lush sound. More like a mandolin. I can't pick it, but strummed it sounds amazing. Some songs seem to need something bigger, than a standard 4-string tenor can provide. The octave G and C really fills it out while the double E & A strings reinforce them against the others boosting their sound. I performed "One Kind Favor" playing it and it fit the song perfectly.

Besides, it's fun!

And just because I see low and high g written differently in places (drives me nuts), it's low, e low a?
And Jerry, I think you just want one of every uke ever built lol.

And just because I see low and high g written differently in places (drives me nuts), it's low, e low a?
And Jerry, I think you just want one of every uke ever built lol.

I can never remember which is the correct nomenclature. (Plus, I was in a hurry.) High-G; Low-g; High-C; Low-c; Two High-E; Two High-A. GgCcEEAA.

Lower case "g" = Low-g. I think. Maybe. :confused:

The E and A strings are the same as the standard GCEA strings.

Last edited:
Just got the Gator HSC for the Cocobolo. A tight fit, but I like Gator cases. Plus, I can tell by looking at the case which uke it is (I once mixed up which uke to take to a gig, 'cause both were in tweed cases...)

Top Bottom