Just One Ukulele?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I don't know if this has come up, but does anyone have just one ukulele?

I've been helping a woman find a ukulele. She wants a "good quality" tenor, solid wood, for $500. I've offered several ideas, but she's still looking. She says it will be her one and only. Is it possibly to be a ukulele player and have just one uke?

I've been helping a woman find a ukulele. She wants a "good quality" tenor, solid wood, for $500. I've offered several ideas, but she's still looking. She says it will be her one and only. Is it possibly to be a ukulele player and have just one uke?

I have just one. I have a Kanilea tenor that fits my needs perfectly. I like to play finger style and the tenor size lends itself nicely. I preferred to have one really nice ukulele rather than a bunch of lessor ones. Everyone is a little different. It’s all good!

It is possible for some......but they aren't on this forum...... :smileybounce:

I think this is the key thing - I'm sure the vast majority of those who own a ukulele only own one and don't feel the need to talk about ukuleles all the time. My wife for example is a much better guitar player than I am a ukulele player and she only has the one guitar. She does not go to any guitar forums.

I've given some thought to the question of how many ukuleles I really need. In my more lucid moments, I conclude that three would be my minimum number. One sturdy cheapie to keep in the car, and two really nice ones for regular use. I reckon I need two because if a string breaks then that uke is, effectively, out of commission for a day or so while the new string(s) settle.

So how come I've ended up with a dozen really nice ukes, and another dozen (or so) lesser ones?

And I've only ever had one string breakage - years ago.

My name is John Colter and I am a uke-aholic.

I could get by with either one of my sopranos. That doesn't mean that I don't WANT more. But I certainly don't NEED more.

Though I must admit, I told myself I was going to stick with the two I have but I've been eyeballing a lot of ukes lately. LOL. Kinda want a taropath, kinda want a tenor to tune dGBE, kinda miss having a concert sometimes, kinda want more sopranos for no other reason than I think they are cool. But with a 2nd kid on the way I'm really trying to stick to two.

I think this is the key thing - I'm sure the vast majority of those who own a ukulele only own one and don't feel the need to talk about ukuleles all the time.

I understand, but just owning a uke isn't the same as being a UU member and obsessing about ukuleles twenty hours a day. :D

I'm sure there are hundreds of poor, neglected ukuleles hidden away in closets, yearning to be loved - and played.

I think it's definitely possible to be a serious, enthusiastic player and have only one. But maybe it depends on how strictly we define "having only one" ukulele. I would consider myself to be enthusiastic, if not serious. And while there are always a lot of ukuleles here in the house, there's only one that I think of as "mine."

Jerry - one thing to consider if someone is picky like that and rejecting off-the-shelf models - if she has something specific in mind, $500 probably gets you at least close to in-range for some custom builders.

Jerry - one thing to consider if someone is picky like that and rejecting off-the-shelf models - if she has something specific in mind, $500 probably gets you at least close to in-range for some custom builders.

Thanks. A custom build never occurred to me. Bonanza is well under $500. I don't know if anything would satisfy her, though. I think limiting herself to just one uke for the rest of her life is a big part of the problem.

How about a LoPrinzi? She can probably pick up a used one in mint condition in her price range.

Do you have any specifics about what she is looking for? Type of sound? Type of wood? Does she play fingerstyle or primarily strum and sing? What didn't she like about the ones that she has looked at?

I started out thinking all I needed was one and told myself that I wouldn't buy a bunch of ukuleles. But then I decided that I might get a better one, but that would be it. I've done pretty good. I've only bought four ukuleles over seven years and I sold one of those, but saying and doing are two different things. I do know a couple of ukulele players who only have one. Neither of them play much though and neither lives and breaths ukulele.

How about a LoPrinzi? She can probably pick up a used one in mint condition in her price range.

Do you have any specifics about what she is looking for? Type of sound? Type of wood? Does she play fingerstyle or primarily strum and sing? What didn't she like about the ones that she has looked at?

She looked at a LoPrinzi that's for sale. She wants a good tenor, solid wood, not mahogany. I haven't heard from her in a couple of days. Maybe she's given up the hunt.

I started out thinking all I needed was one and told myself that I wouldn't buy a bunch of ukuleles. But then I decided that I might get a better one, but that would be it. I've done pretty good. I've only bought four ukuleles over seven years and I sold one of those, but saying and doing are two different things. I do know a couple of ukulele players who only have one. Neither of them play much though and neither lives and breaths ukulele.

I admire your will power. I'm attracted to ukes that are different.

I admire your will power. I'm attracted to ukes that are different.

Actually there is no willpower involved. It isn't like I'm not buying ukuleles to somehow nobly deprive myself. If I wanted another one I would certainly buy it.

My son, a recent college graduate, evacuated from the Peace Corps and therefore with his life on pandemic hold, has just one, though he was looking into making one and likes the sound of mango. His is Asian Koa.

She looked at a LoPrinzi that's for sale. She wants a good tenor, solid wood, not mahogany. I haven't heard from her in a couple of days. Maybe she's given up the hunt.

LoPrinzis aren't all mahogany, (some use other woods, I think), but are good quality, IMO, and are solid wood. But, they might not be what hits the right note, (pun intended), with her.

I don't think I would want only one ukulele. I play both reentrant and linear, so would want at least 2.
In reality, I have more than 2. I try to talk myself into selling something, but so far, none will be leaving the nest. I play them all regularly.

I don't really have UAS anymore, though, after a stretch of definite UAS. I'm very happy with what I have. I've got the size and neck that works for me sorted out, and have ukuleles that sound great to me and that I enjoy playing. I enjoy looking, though, and sometimes do have the urge to buy, but have kept that in check so far.

As the pandemic rages on, and more time will be spent at home, I sometimes rationalize that buying another one to entertain myself during this time is reasonable, though. :)

But, unless something special comes along, I'm good with what I have.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the question...

Scooter

I often have just one...but that one is a revolving door.

Top Bottom