Tenor uke kit

Kukulele

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a tenor uke kit. I like the partial pre-built kits from Hana Lima, but I don't see tenor size. I don't want to have to bend anything yet.

I was thinking of getting one. It has bent sides but that is about it as far as whats been done. You will be able to make some choices too. I don't think it has a nut saddle bridge or tuners. I don't have much room to build a uke right now or I would have already got this.

I was thinking of getting one. It has bent sides but that is about it as far as whats been done. You will be able to make some choices too. I don't think it has a nut saddle bridge or tuners. I don't have much room to build a uke right now or I would have already got this.
Kuk, still a bunch of skill sets needed to complete this build though. And you still need frets, keys, nut, saddle, finish. However, it looks like he has all the basic wood parts included to help you get started. Jump in and get your feet wet! Hell, it's only $$...e.lo..

Last edited:
Kuk, still a bunch of skill sets needed to complete this build though. And you still need frets, keys, nut, saddle, finish. However, it looks like he has all the basic wood parts included to help you get started. Jump in and get your feet wet! Hell, it's only $$...e.lo..

There is more to the kit than shown in the picture. I read it has plans, bridge blank, and a pre slotted fretboard. It will need a nut and saddle and tuners. Just an idea there are kits for almost anyone out there.

I looked at Pete's kit and it looks great, but it's a little bit more $ than I want to spend on my first build. That one on ebay seems to be more what I'm looking for, but let's see what the bidding gets up to before the auction ends.

I really just want a cheaper kit for my first build, but I don't want a soprano kit. If Papas Boxes didn't shut down I would buy a cigar box tenor kit from him. I can get cigar boxes but I still haven't seen a good place to get pre-made necks from. Maybe I should learn how to carve out a neck.

Pete Howlett at www.uklectic.com sells 'em! :)
john
Yes, I like this kit! A bit more pricey but I believe worth it for a novice builder. That is to say, it includes all the parts needed to complete your uke, along with some of the critical, tricky tasks already finished for you. It could satisify your desire to build your own uke plus have a realistic positive end result (i.e. a decent, playable uke that you built).

P.S. An added bonus.. I believe Pete would be avaliable for any questions you had during the building process...e.lo.....

I watch all of Pete's videos, he is very inspiring. Everyone in this forum is very inspiring to learn how to build an instrument you love.

I have koa concert ,soprano, and tenor uke kits but they are real kits You have to glue up the tops put the kerf lining bend the sides etc....and have knowledge of how to build the ukulele....

LMII use the term "Service" to define their kits. "Fully Serviced" would define mine whereas Hana Lima's is a box of parts (good quality parts I have to say). What I have tried to do at UK UKES it take out the frustration and leave in the fun - to strip it back so there is enough to challenge someone with moderate building skills. Also I use the same materials for the kits as I do for my koa ukulele so there is no skimping on quality.

In my vids, the kit built concert has turned out a cracker and I use it for most of my demo videos, even though it has a little of that classic Hawaiian asymmetry...

Can you please tell me if its possible to buy a kit for a baratone neck, but it musy be shaped as I have bad emphercima and the dust doesnt help my condition.Mal

Mainland Ukes has a bari neck fully shaped with fretboard at a very reasonable price. Good quality, too!

Top Bottom