So I just bought a Samwill Spruce/Flame Mahogany Soprano from Ukuleleworld.com

flyingace

Reaction score
Did I make a mistake? It didn't cost much so I can bear it if I did and it is cute enough to make nice wall art if so, but I'm hoping it will sound decent.

I own a solid mahogany concert, solid acacia tenor and a laminate koa tenor. I wanted to add a spruce soundboard to my collection as well as a soprano size.

Anybody know what I'll see when it arrives?

I wish the listing stated whether the top is solid or not. Some nice looking laminate maple ukes out there, but with laminated spruce tops also. Several low priced new models have come out lately.

Hope you love it. It will have a great setup, regardless.

I am also wanting to add a soprano and am waiting for the itch to hit.

Congrats on your new uke...next time buy from some reputable dealer who does great setups..it certainly makes a big difference in it sounding the best and feeling the best playing it..
you pay a bit more, but it's really worth it.. between a wall hanger or a player...

I wanted one of those rectangular crocodile uke cases that came with some of the samwills, but Roy said the minimum order was too large.

Roy responded to my email asking about whether I got the right one for me. He and is daughter took the time to round up 4 ukes that exemplified my requests for solid wood soprano ukes, what they looked like in person, what they sounded like, etc. Had nice large pics of each that they just took, so I know they have these in stock! I was blown away by how nice that was. I'm waiting for him to call me today to finalize and get the right one sent to me. I'm thinking of changing my order to the solid flamed maple one. I know maple is known for being very bright and I don't want to "plinky" sound, but I'm thinking that by adding some mellow Worth Browns or some Soft Southcoasts, I can soften the sound. At least it's a solid wood uke with rope binding and decent tuners. I'll post and report when I get it!

I'm not worried about set ups, I do my own on all my instruments, not just ukes. I just leveled and crowned the Fender uke I got, dressed the frets, polished them, treated the fingerboard, reset the nut and saddle, intonated both and put the new Southcoasts with wound C on. Amazing difference, even on a laminate uke! :)

I wanted one of those rectangular crocodile uke cases that came with some of the samwills, but Roy said the minimum order was too large.

Yah, the one I want now doesn't come with the rect. croc case and I'm not sure he can mix and match. I'm going to ask though!!

So I spoke with Roy today. Nice nice man! We had a nice talk and I went ahead and purchased the Solid Flamed Maple soprano. I requested the crocodile case, he said he'd see what he could do but no promises. We'll see next week when it comes in. He's a neat guy and I really really think he loves what he is doing and does the best they can with a small shop. I also believe that he will do what he can to make you happy. I'll buy from him again just based on our conversation. I'll post pics and sound samples when I get it and set it up!

These are their photos:
sw2141.jpg

sw2142.jpg

sw2143.jpg

Top Bottom