Fear of Crowds

Target and Whole Foods are also opening early (in California) for Seniors to shop, but the shelves are still pretty empty. It’s good of them anyway.

I guess the hoarders are still trying to stay “prepared”. :eek:ld:

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for brightening my day, Ziret! :)

Jan
Happy to! I hope all is well down in Corvallis. A friend from there called yesterday and it sounds like you're a little behind us in restrictions.

I’m lazy - be nice to have a ‘transcript’ of the lyrics.

I’m in SF Bay Area and all the counties are in lockdown. Luckily, a couple of weeks ago we shopped in preparation of
such a lockdown. Tomorrow, or Friday we’ll take the car out for a spin - charge the battery. Walked around the block yesterday and crossed the street when I saw another walker coming my way.

Bi be watching Amazon Prime Original Series. In three weeks, the rains will start to go away and we’ll use the patio.

Be safe peoples, this is coming your way. Don't hoarde, but stock up with essentials for a one month isolation. And don’t forget stamps and checks to pay bills

Happy to! I hope all is well down in Corvallis. A friend from there called yesterday and it sounds like you're a little behind us in restrictions.

Thanks, Ziret. We’ve had lots of closures and cancellations here in Corvallis. And quite a few people (but not enough) are trying to follow the state and federal recommendations and mandates. So far, the only two confirmed cases in our county are two Corvallis residents who caught the virus while visiting family in Washington State, so they are self-quarantining up your way. It’s reasonable to assume the virus is here, but very little testing is being done so we have no data to work with. It’s only a matter of time before we get hit hard. In the mean time, many of us remain hunkered down, only venturing outside for groceries, walks in quiet places, and to hunt for toilet paper. :)

Jan

Disturbing images - all this talk about people hunkering down with no toilet paper.

John Colter

So prepare for the "Shelter in Place" order that will be inevitable in the entire country. If you, like many uke players, are in the higher risk age bracket, begin social distancing immediately. And then play your uke a lot and hope we get over this sooner than later and better than worse.

Stay safe and healthy!

My bank and library are now closed, but the bank's drive-up window is open. If we had started social distancing long ago, we'd be much better off now.

I've decided that if I get this, I'm going to recover from it.

Well, we went food shoppin’ to Stater Brothers’ market this mornin’ at the 0745 seniors only time. We got everything we needed except paper products. It was crowded and we had to line up, but it wasn’t too bad. Everyone was pretty cheerful and friendly.

Each shopper was limited to 1 box of milk, a dozen eggs, one chicken and a loaf of bread — good enough. I couldn’t readily find the beer I wanted, and, by the time I did, my wife had crossed the finish line. We did get wine and cocktail time snacks though.

We both feel better now. I hope we don’t die. :eek:ld:

Can you believe there are (stupid) People on Clearwater Beach, huddled in groups? They are NOT Floridians, and they all were reported to look like kids on Spring Break. The City would not close the park until Monday, because of lost business. Just dumb.

I run a fairly large performing arts center. Seeing the COVID-19 coming and what was happening in other parts of the world, I cancelled all classes, rehearsals, workshops, performances, ukulele meetups, and concerts. I asked all of my staff to work from home and I closed our buildings. This was done out of an abundance of concern for our staff, and our patrons. We now have ZERO income, but still, I believe that closing and enforcing extreme social distancing, even though this could close us forever, is the right thing to do. Has anyone anyone done a meetup using Zoom?

Kudos to you Ed, you probably saved some lives. Like my wise mother-in-law, from the old country, used to say:

"If you've got your health, you've got your wealth".

Lots of canned vegetables left on local shelves. Even in a health emergency you can't get people to eat their veggies. :D

Canned vegetables have practically no nutritional value. They don't taste good either. No point in eating them.

Thank you for your posts.

I am in a "Shelter in Place" order in the Bay Area. The issue is the lack of testing keeps us in the dark as to who might be infected. Until this last week, the seriousness of the pandemic was downplayed and the availability of tests was lied about ("anybody can get one"... by Friday, we will ship 4 M more tests"...).

So it is completely understandable that those nine infected never knew nor were alarm bells raised at the time. Our uke meetups were not cancelled until the week after) I suspect that many in other parts of the country still are not duly informed or alarmed as to how serious this can become. If the virus does not affect you personally, the changes that are occurring should (businesses closing, no travel).

So prepare for the "Shelter in Place" order that will be inevitable in the entire country. If you, like many uke players, are in the higher risk age bracket, begin social distancing immediately. And then play your uke a lot and hope we get over this sooner than later and better than worse.

Stay safe and healthy!

If everyone was tested, since everyone wouldn't be tested and receive results at the exact same time, would only tell you who was infected at that time, and would give you a false sense of security. It is quite possible to become infected a half hour after being tested.

If everyone was tested, since everyone wouldn't be tested and receive results at the exact same time, would only tell you who was infected at that time, and would give you a false sense of security. It is quite possible to become infected a half hour after being tested.

Vo, a small town in Italy tried a surprisingly effective experiment. They tested all 3400 or so residents which enabled them to clearly see who was infected (some of which were not showing symptoms). Isolating all of those who tested positive for covid-19 stopped further transmission of the virus in that town. (Heard this on the Rachel Maddow show. https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...containment-key-to-covid-19-fight-80952389719)

Vo, a small town in Italy tried a surprisingly effective experiment. They tested all 3400 or so residents which enabled them to clearly see who was infected (some of which were not showing symptoms). Isolating all of those who tested positive for covid-19 stopped further transmission of the virus in that town. (Heard this on the Rachel Maddow show. https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...containment-key-to-covid-19-fight-80952389719)

I thought you only wanted to talk about ukuleles. Yes, there are more important topics than different types of ukulele strings and which ukulele is the best and does one use a strap button or not.

If you don’t know where to get more TP, you might be in a bigger fix than using the wrong strings. :eek:ld:

Has anyone anyone done a meetup using Zoom?

My hubby attended his first meeting via Zoom yesterday. He said it was quite straightforward; that when a person was talking, their face would come up on the main part of his monitor, while thumbnail images of the rest of the committee members were visible across the top of the screen. For those who don’t have a device with a camera, they can still participate aurally. Basically, someone has to set up an account with Zoom and arrange the meeting time. Everyone planning to attend receives a weblink, which they use to access the meetup at the scheduled time.

I believe Dot Levine (of Philly) held a Global Uke Meetup today (Thursday) via Zoom. Registration was limited to 100 participants. I wasn’t able to attend, so I don’t know how it went. She’s a UU member. If she sees your question, maybe she will respond to it. Or you could PM her.

Jan

We did a Zoom jam today with about 20 people. The latency didn't work for everybody to sing & play together. Everybody except the song leader muted and we played 1:many with the leader, then unmuted to discuss and pick the next song. There were still a few sound dropouts which really threw me off, but for the most part it worked well. If only I could play so well when everybody could hear!

I think most of us ran in gallery mode so we could see a grid of everybody playing on video even though we couldn't hear everybody.

I thought you only wanted to talk about ukuleles. Yes, there are more important topics than different types of ukulele strings and which ukulele is the best and does one use a strap button or not.

If you don’t know where to get more TP, you might be in a bigger fix than using the wrong strings. :eek:ld:

I have no problem following and contributing to threads that are not directly related to ukulele. My previous post was to suggest we keep covid-19 to the General forum and leave Uke Talk to ukuleles. That said, I don't want to be the UU policeman, it's a free world and anyone can post wherever they want.

We did a Zoom jam today with about 20 people. The latency didn't work for everybody to sing & play together. Everybody except the song leader muted and we played 1:many with the leader, then unmuted to discuss and pick the next song. There were still a few sound dropouts which really threw me off, but for the most part it worked well. If only I could play so well when everybody could hear!

I think most of us ran in gallery mode so we could see a grid of everybody playing on video even though we couldn't hear everybody.

We're doing one tomorrow - not Zoom, but similar. It will be recorded, so we can re-live it during the week.

Top Bottom