Season 477: You or Someone You Love

mountain goat

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
the first incarnation of the seasons of the ukulele was a 6 week contest
that began in February 2012.
when it came to its end in mid- March of that year we were all so bereft at the time and just wanted to keep it going; we enjoyed it so much.
in the first 6 weeks you were only allowed to submit one song per week! - (how times have changed!) anyway, long story short: we did and it continued...
i volunteered to host season #7 which was titled 'Woody Week' - the songs of Woody Guthrie.
feeling nostalgic as i am, this week is titled 'You or Someone You Love'
and there are 4 options:

1. record any song you want to w/ a dedication to someone you love.

2. write an original song and dedicate it to someone you love.

3. record any song written in the year that either you or someone you love was born in.

4. record any song written by one of my favourite folk songwriting heroes: Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Patrick Sky, Tom Paxton, Chuck Brodsky, Shannon Lyon, Jeff Tweedy, Townes Van Zandt, The Indigo Girls, Richard Buckner, Bob Dylan, Steve Earle.

the seasons have kept me going and connected all these years.
i'm so grateful for this place, and to y'all.

in the spirit of nostalgia, and for those of you who haven't seen it before, this wonderful video made by our friend Tina is a fun celebration of the first year of the seasons. amazing to think it was nearly 10 years ago.

huge hugs friends. let's keep the love from Berni's week flowing
and reach out to each other.

usual rules apply.
new songs please - except Rob can post anything he darn well wants to.

xo jon

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Jon, what an excellent concept ... but we’ll be giving away sensitive info if we dedicate to someone else ... :rolleyes:

Jon, what an excellent concept ... but we’ll be giving away sensitive info if we dedicate to someone else ... :rolleyes:

hehe mate. i'll leave it up to you how much you're willing to give away!
a family member, friend, pet, a figure from history or contemporaneous who inspires you... :love:

What a lovely idea, Jon! (Just watched the whole of that video ... it was quite inspirational and Tina was obviously a gem. And I've never seen Rob without his beard before.)

Nice one Jon, although as a Vulcan I may struggle with this season. :p
Great to see some old faces, there's been some terrific players who have passed through and some we have lost in just my time. The vid evoked a time for pause and reflection of those who have passed through just like the changing seasons.

Last edited:
Great to see some old faces, there's been some terrific players who have passed through and some we have lost in just my time. The vid evoked a time for pause and reflection of those who have passed through just like the changing seasons.

Couldn't have expressed my thoughts on watching that video any better. Totally agree. Well said, sirrah!

she lives a thousand miles away, but i'll dedicate this to someone who'll never know how much she means to me

Thanks for the theme Jon Boy. I went looking for a Townes Van Zandt that I didn't know. I found this. And although new, it's foreboding Dm chord progression and melody and story is at once familiar in it's type as a Townes sub genre.

way to kick things off lads.
fair to say we're off to a broken heart.
hang on, i wrote 'flying start'...wtf
#whenyoursoulautocorrectsyourfingers

there will be a prize this week.

xo

Hey, Jon!

Thanks for hosting, fella.

Here's another TVZ song. Is it even possible to have a favourite? Dunno. But this is mine for now.

Laters, taters...

absolutely jawdropping one from Bobby above.
seeing we're on a Townes roll,
can someone please do 'Lungs' this week?
gonna hit it soon tonight friends.
thanks to you guys for a super start up.

Haven't played one here in a while, but hearing the Townes' songs from Bob and Flatbaroque is pretty inspiring...

Some Dylan, you say?

My friend Mitch and I play this at the bandstand in front of the Sir Walter Raleigh statue downtown every year during the International Bluegrass Music Association convention and festival.

Jon and I share a lot of favourite folk songwriting heroes. I decided to start with the third one on his list. This comes from the first Patrick Sky LP that I bought when I was in high school.
Patrick sky 1.jpg
Separation Blues is one that I like to play on the guitar, so I thought I should use the low G uke to get some of those bass notes, but after trying it on both ukes, I found that I liked the re-entrant uke better. I had to tune it a tone low to be able to reach those higher notes. I play it in G on guitar, but this one's in Bb, still a little high for my voice.

Last edited:
Pete Seeger was a man who walked the walk not just talked the talk - he didn't write this one but did record it and sang it often - this one is dedicated to him

Well, it's early Monday and I get my first COVID shot tomorrow.
Here's Walkin' Down The Line, an old Bob Dylan Song.
A song from another one of Jon's favourite songwriters for SOTU #477
Not one of Bob's better known songs, but one I like a lot.
One of my musical heroes, Jackie Washington did a great job of this song.

Top Bottom