this is interesting woodwork

Timbuck

Reaction score
Last edited:
It looks great. But I wonder if it is a case of form over function? The slightest drop of a hinge and the cupboard door won't shut! It's a lot of work just to keep a cupboard door closed (but not locked).

Years ago I visited Gillette Castle State Park in Connecticut . It is a castle designed and built by a famous actor of the day. Each interior door had a hand carved lock/latch , each one different.
The woodwork within the castle is hand-hewn southern white oak. Of the forty-seven doors within the structure, there are no two exactly the same. And each door has a handsome external latch intricately carved of wood.
I didnt have a camera when I went , but You get the idea.

https://www.gillettecastle.info

Fascinating place. William Gillette was a noted actor, known for portraying Sherlock Holmes, among other achievements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gillette

Years ago I visited Gillette Castle State Park in Connecticut . It is a castle designed and built by a famous actor of the day. Each interior door had a hand carved lock/latch , each one different.
The woodwork within the castle is hand-hewn southern white oak. Of the forty-seven doors within the structure, there are no two exactly the same. And each door has a handsome external latch intricately carved of wood.
I didnt have a camera when I went , but You get the idea.

The slightest drop of a hinge and the cupboard door won't shut!
I'm thinking that anyone who could make a latch like that would also be able to make undroppable hinges.
Miguel

Very cool latch....but what's the pin? Half a scissor?
Either guy guy's a barber or a psycho murderer :eek:

Very cool latch....but what's the pin? Half a scissor?
Either guy guy's a barber or a psycho murderer :eek:

The pin shape reminds me of a "drill drift".. Thats the wedge shape device that is used to remove morse taper drill shanks from their
sleeves, maybe the pin hole is tapered as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom