Fear of Crowds

I worry about the health providers who are putting their own lives on the line in order to keep as many infected people alive as possible...and doing it with insufficient resources and adequate protective gear for themselves.

I worry about the health providers who are putting their own lives on the line in order to keep as many infected people alive as possible...and doing it with insufficient resources and adequate protective gear for themselves.

Yes! There is no excuse for insufficient resources. This virus first appeared in December, 2019. We are just now beginning to take it seriously. I hate to see people mentioning how many people die from the flu or pneumonia or anything else. Corvid-19 is in addition to everything else, and there's no treatment or cure.

More and more events have been canceled around here, and group gatherings have been canceled - like the local St. Patty's Day parade and the 5K race.

I have three rolls of the large size three ply toilet paper and half a bottle of hand sanitizer. I'll trade it for a 1968 Camaro. On a serious note, my wife and I are all ready and paid for for a two week river cruise in France and a week in England starting the first week in June. Last week we were offered vouchers to postpone it if we wanted. We thought that was just silly. I don't know if it is or not today.

I would postpone your trip to France and the UK. The UK government has told older people that they should avoid cruise ships. The latest developments here indicate that the scientists will aim for 60% of the British population to be infected to ensure sufficient herd immunity to prevent COVID19 becoming an annual major disruptor. This country does not try to contain anymore. It tries to delay. The only people getting tests now are those already in hospital. Whoever is showing symptoms is to self-isolate until you get better or worse.

Oh! Self-isolate is it? That's a relief - I thought they were telling us to self-immolate!

John Colter

Yeah, better to stay in your home for now, at least you still have your Ukelele to continue w:)ith your practice. It's still better than nothing to do. :)

I would postpone your trip to France and the UK. The UK government has told older people that they should avoid cruise ships. The latest developments here indicate that the scientists will aim for 60% of the British population to be infected to ensure sufficient herd immunity to prevent COVID19 becoming an annual major disruptor. This country does not try to contain anymore. It tries to delay. The only people getting tests now are those already in hospital. Whoever is showing symptoms is to self-isolate until you get better or worse.

Yeah, better to stay in your home for now, at least you still have your Ukelele to continue w:)ith your practice. It's still better than nothing to do. :)
We will see how things are in May and adjust accordingly. I'm not going to do anything right now.

Yeah, stay in and play your ukes.

When they turn off the internet, then we'll really be in trouble! :)

Here's the meat and toilet paper aisles at my local supermarket today.
20200313_123700.jpg
20200313_123930.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw a couple emails from music stores. Some will be open by appointment only. Some are not allowing any instruments to come into the store, even if repairs are needed, or someone wants to trade or sell it. Some are offering curb side pickup, so local people can purchase by phone or online and not get out of their car.

I fear that many smaller businesses will not survive these difficult times. I certainly hope that all living beings will survive all this, though.

Edited to add: It was just announced that all schools in my state will be closed until the end of the month.

Last edited:
Edited to add: It was just announced that all schools in my state will be closed until the end of the month.

What state is that?

My local school district, here in upstate NY has cancelled classes for next week, with the caveat that it could be longer. The Albany School District cancelled through the 27th.

However, as every student in my district gets breakfast and lunch, we are sending school buses to central locations with a member of the food service staff on board, and handing out the food. Kids who qualify for the weekend backpack of food will still be getting it. We are working on getting Chromebooks to every child, and conducting remote classes.

And those of us who work in the central office are reporting for work next week, unless unless directed otherwise by the Superintendent's Office.

-Kurt​

Strange times we're living in. Here in the Los Angeles area, all public schools and libraries have been shut down, concerts have been cancelled, and nearly everyone I know has been shifted to working from home (including myself) until at least the end of the month. I'm in a small city outside of Los Angeles, and our first confirmed case was announced today - an employee at a very busy Apple store, who has been on sick leave since March 2. I'm guessing this virus has been circulating in my community and elsewhere for a while now, but we just didn't know it, because nobody was testing for it.

Here in Oregon, things are being cancelled (or closed) faster than you can enter the changes on your calendar. More people are working from home or attending their university classes online. Public schools and libraries are closed. If they ever get around to doing more testing, one can assume even greater numbers of people will be self-quarantined. With everyone trying to amuse/distract themselves at home for two or more weeks, I fully expect the internet will begin operating at a snail’s pace; local bandwidth will simply be unable to keep up with the demand. I’m grateful to have an assortment of acoustic instruments, tons of music, and lots of unread books, available to fill my time. Who knew being “grounded” could be so much fun. :)

Jan

What state is that?

My local school district, here in upstate NY has cancelled classes for next week, with the caveat that it could be longer. The Albany School District cancelled through the 27th.

However, as every student in my district gets breakfast and lunch, we are sending school buses to central locations with a member of the food service staff on board, and handing out the food. Kids who qualify for the weekend backpack of food will still be getting it. We are working on getting Chromebooks to every child, and conducting remote classes.

And those of us who work in the central office are reporting for work next week, unless unless directed otherwise by the Superintendent's Office.

-Kurt​

Illinois.
As I understand it, schools are going to be able to provide meals to those who need them though. I hope so.

I Prefer to play/sing in front of a large crowd. Playing for one person, or very small groups, makes me nervous.

Last edited:
Here in Washington State all schools close tomorrow for six weeks, all events cancelled, work from home if possible, no groups larger than 25, etc. School lunches in my area will be delivered to central locations. It gets a little more draconian every day. I just returned from Albertsons and it appears everyone here decided to self isolate at the grocery store. It looked like 8pm on Christmas Eve, without the joy. Or the food. I couldn't buy a sack of flour. I doubt we'll be over it in six weeks.

And yes, the internet is occasionally irritatingly slow.

I just returned from Albertsons and it appears everyone here decided to self isolate at the grocery store. It looked like 8pm on Christmas Eve, without the joy. Or the food.

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for brightening my day, Ziret! :)

Jan

Top Bottom