What are you doing to keep busy at home?

Because of C-19 causing students to stay at home, there are a lot of new online & TV college courses. I found one that goes into music theory so I am enjoying that. I found another on computer networking so I'm doing that one, too.

I enjoy the TV courses more than the online stuff, because a 50" TV means the instructor is life-sized, like she's there in the room with me, but I can still watch her lecture while in my underwear.

Reading this....

I'm playing my new Aklot all bamboo tenor cutaway uke with new D'Addario black strings because I'm really liking it. Also playing my new mini bass that I had converted from a short scale guitar, locking in the bass arrangement I did for the Sinatra/Basie version of "Fly Me to the Moon" doing straight ahead walking style, it's more intricate than I realized.

(I'm also making my own chicken sausages, faro and black beans, avocado and green salsa, and many other items low sodium because in the last couple of years my blood pressure has gone up due to gaining too much weight, which I'm in the process of loosing.)

Aklot mine 800.jpg

Les Paul Turquoise 900.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
How do you like the Aklot? I've been looking at one. Like your bass. Boy I wish I had bigly hands lol.

Because of C-19 causing students to stay at home, there are a lot of new online & TV college courses. I found one that goes into music theory so I am enjoying that. I found another on computer networking so I'm doing that one, too.

I enjoy the TV courses more than the online stuff, because a 50" TV means the instructor is life-sized, like she's there in the room with me, but I can still watch her lecture while in my underwear.

What are TV courses? While my TV is only 32", I might still enjoy the courses, but don't know how I'd access them or what is available.

I'm not at home too much. I work in an essential services industry and find my work days to average about fourteen hours. Today's my day off, so I went to the bank and then dropped by a little hole in the wall restaurant I know and ordered some take-out breakfast. I read an old Nero Wolfe novel in the park while smoking some rope tobacco in my pipe (that should keep people six feet away). I practiced improvising with B mixolydian and E major pentatonic to accompany my version of Rhythm Changes in E. I also played around with pedal point technique using the G as a drone and using the upper three strings to G mixolydian. I charred a chicken carcass and made a brown stock. I am pressure cooking some barley and millet to accompany the stock as soup. I'm drinking IPA's ad libitum and tonight I'll probably do the floors and laundry. So, yeah, it is a fairly average day for me in spite of the pandemic pandemonium.

Window shopping Tiples...

Scooter

How do you like the Aklot? I've been looking at one. Like your bass. Boy I wish I had bigly hands lol.
I love the Aklot, it replaced a tenor Fluke I bought here in the Marketplace because I found that it didn't project as well as I wanted, kinda dull sounding and hard to play with the rounded edges and thick squared off neck. The Aklot with new D'Addario black strings is bright and projects well.

All of my basses are sub-short scale, 21" to 25" and should be good for anyone with smaller hands. I prefer that size mainly because standard size is too cumbersome and also that mine fit well playing in a ukulele group.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Hubby and I packed a picnic lunch, put a couple of lawn chairs in the car, and drove around the back roads. When we found an uninhabited place with a view, we sat outside, ate our lunch, and enjoyed the beautiful spring weather. It really does help to get out in nature. The scrumptious strawberry rhubarb cobbler was therapeutic too. :)

Never touched a ukulele all day, but no worries. There’s an endless supply of days ahead with nothing on my calendar except cancelled events, so making up for lost playing time shouldn’t be a problem.

Jan

I'm playing my new Aklot all bamboo tenor cutaway uke with new D'Addario black strings because I'm really liking it.

One of these days, I'm going to put all the black bits on my Aklot Bamboo.

[snip]
I read an old Nero Wolfe novel in the park while smoking some rope tobacco in my pipe (that should keep people six feet away).
[snip]

Used to smoke Samuel Gawith Black XX Twist, before the heart attack. Talk about stinky, but, the flavor was awesome!
Will be making pipes this summer, won't be smoking though!

Used to smoke Samuel Gawith Black XX Twist, before the heart attack. Talk about stinky, but, the flavor was awesome!
Will be making pipes this summer, won't be smoking though!

This was Gawith Hoggarth twist. Keep me in mind once and if you sell some pipes. I'm always in the market for a largish billiard made from decent ebauchon with any grain. To avoid the censure of the topicality police, let me add that as I sit here wondering why people eat so poorly whilst in quarantine, I am experimenting with the custom tenor hanging from my neck to see what nuance I like better after an Amaj7. I am supposed to play an Am6, but it sounds too close to the maj7 to my ear. it is too subtle. I prefer the Adim7 morphing into a B7 after a few beats. How's that for uke talk?

I had an idea a few days ago, but I’m not sure I have the courage to do it. We’ve had a few warmer days lately & many people are out walking in my neighborhood. I thought about setting up a chair in my driveway, plugging in my uke to my amp, and playing/singing. Some fun, popular, uplifting songs. Maybe folks could stop for a few minutes & listen or join in. As long as they stay 6 feet apart. Right now it’s cool & rainy, so I can work on some songs & work up my courage.

I had that same idea. I might just do it today. However, I don't have an electric ukulele. I'll just use my tenor.

I had that same idea. I might just do it today. However, I don't have an electric ukulele. I'll just use my tenor.

Let us know how it goes & what songs you chose. Since it will be chilly & wet this coming week, I'll work on a set list of sorts. Yesterday I was practicing Let It Be. Trying to find the key that best suits my voice.

I’m doin’ pretty much what I always do. I’ve been retired for a long time, and I’m definitely a homebody.

I usually take a good walk, mess with the iPad, play an instrument or two, read Louis L’Amour and snooze.

Sometimes I hafta go buy somethin’ but not lately of course. :eek:ld:

I washed the kitchen floor this morning, no church.
I washed the bandwagon this afternoon, no gig.
Gee, it's big! And it was filthy. (The bandwagon)
Can you tell I'm bored?

New Zealand goes into total lockdown at 12.00 pm Wednesday for a minimum of 4 weeks but in reality more like 8 or 12. Only essential services will be operating, all other places of work are to close and everyone is to self isolate at home. Supermarkets, pharmacies etc will be open but nothing else. It's going to be an interesting experience, but we have to beat this virus somehow, and social distancing seems to be the only way to stop the spread.

Top Bottom