headless videos

fretie

Reaction score
I view a lot of ukulele videos where the players have cut off their heads...ok, not that grisly way...but, you know, left their head out of the screen. I know it can show case the instrument more but really it does look a bit grim, all these headless ukulele players....

I totally agree. It's just plain disconcerting and distracting.

I for one make sure you can see my ugly mug. Even if I look angry when I'm at my most focused. :)

It's the tyranny of portrait vs. landscape videography. If you take relatively tight shots, something has to give.

If that's the case then the shot should be a true close up of the right or left hand.
Most of these videos are always cut right at the neckline. It is more like god forbid someone recognizes me sort of thing. In this day and age what with the walking dead etc it's rather disturbing.

It's the tyranny of portrait vs. landscape videography. If you take relatively tight shots, something has to give.

I always try to get a good head shot and a clear view of my fretting hand when I make vids. And not have the top of my head cut off either.

There are two issues here:
  1. Self-image: Everybody has self-image problems. Its hard to overcome these issues. I think you should try to though. Being seen with a wart on your nose is a better image than being seen as the headless horseman.
  2. Inexperience with the video production industry. That's right Industry. Forget about making money. That's not what I'm addressing. I'm talking about the craft of making videos. If you want to produce quality content - Tutorials are in this class; You have to be able to see clearly what the tutor is doing. But you have to make the student hang around long enough to get the lesson. Headless wonders drive people away, perhaps before the message has been passed on.

The handful of times I was brave enough to post videos, years ago during the earliest Seasons of the Ukulele, I did the headless thing in the interest of anonymity. I'm still not comfortable with having either my real name or my face plastered all over the Interwebs, but have sort of come to accept that as a person living in the 21st century it's almost unavoidable. Seems like the whole world, except for me, desperately wants their 15 minutes of fame!

I currently use a cell phone camera clipped with a capo, I'm lucky to get my Uke in shot.

I am a headless poster for two reasons. I figure the playing is more important than my face. I also don't particularly want my business associates and students watching me play. There is an aspect of deniability if they only see my hands :)
Playing the ukulele is what I do for me. And, this year I am doing the Seasons for me, and trying new techniques and styles.
My New Years Resolution was to make mistakes - if you never make mistakes, you never learn.
My aim is participation, not perfection. So, my videos are not perfect. Which about kills me as I am a perfectionist. The headless videos are "saving face" - pun intended.

Last edited:
I have no issue with watching the ukulele videos where people choose to not show their face. I don't understand what the big deal is. People have their own personal reasons for it. Most of us, Seasonistas, enjoy making videos weekly and marking our progress with the uke. We also enjoy the fellowship. I would rather someone make a headless video than to not post at all! I'd hate for someone to miss out just because people complain that they can't see someone's face. I guess if it bothers someone to watch a video where someone hides their face, then don't watch. It's no big deal. The headless video posters will still have fun. But you will be missing out on some good music.

I hope I haven't ticked anyone off. It's not my intention. I just don't want the headless video posters to feel bad, either, when they have done nothing wrong.

Last edited:
I totally agree. It's just plain disconcerting and distracting.

I for one make sure you can see my ugly mug. Even if I look angry when I'm at my most focused. :)

I've noticed that I look angry, in my uke videos, too. I guess it's because I'm concentrating. I sure don't feel angry!

IamNo(t) a headless wonder. IamNoMan who wonders where he's headed. I too value my privacy. That's why I use this silly literary conceit.

I currently use a cell phone camera clipped with a capo, I'm lucky to get my Uke in shot.
Missed you in the Seasons Jon'o. Get those strings and come back.

I am a headless poster for two reasons. I figure the playing is more important than my face. I also don't particularly want my business associates and students watching me play. There is an aspect of deniability if they only see my hands :)
Playing the ukulele is what I do for me. And, this year I am doing the Seasons for me, and trying new techniques and styles.
My New Years Resolution was to make mistakes - if you never make mistakes, you never learn.
ln other day words, go for participation, not perfection.
Actadh I have some difficulty with this. You are you in totality, not just your playing, not just your face. With me its not "Why not take all of me"... It's take me or leave me as I am, warts and all. I seldom ever socialized with my coworkers. They are in competition with you, and they do try to put you down for differences; if it gets them ahead. (Not all of them). I sorta think though; that with your students part of your role is to inspire them; Show them: they don't have to be perfect to participate. I'm not being critical here. From what I can tell, you probably do quite well with teaching and inspiring. Your values are certainly in the right place.

I do think you have your new years resolution backwards though. I would resolve to learn from my mistakes, not hide from them.

The handful of times I was brave enough to post videos, years ago during the earliest Seasons of the Ukulele, I did the headless thing in the interest of anonymity. I'm still not comfortable with having either my real name or my face plastered all over the Interwebs, but have sort of come to accept that as a person living in the 21st century it's almost unavoidable. Seems like the whole world, except for me, desperately wants their 15 minutes of fame!
I don't seek fame. when my 15 minutes comes, and it does that repeatedly, I make the most of it. I am not special, except I am a special person. I had polio as an infant. I also have a perfect face for radio. The kind of face that inspires pity and makes you want to give and give. March of Dimes made me a poster boy when I was three, United Way when I was four. I had two full page newspaper ads with my picture front and center before I was in kindergarten. This kind of thing happened to me a lot growing up. I was featured on a local TV panel discussion when I was about 16. I didn't ask for any of this. I must say I have always been as active as possible. People notice that and maybe take advantage of you or maybe just the Possibilities. This is what your talking about I think. I'm afraid often enough but I don't let fear rule me. Like actadh says:
ln other day words, go for participation, not perfection.
I do participate in the world and sometimes a little fame goes along with it. It seldom yields enough to buy a cup of coffee. Ah but once my fame got me a cup of coffee and some Balaclava! I like that.

I have no issue with watching the ukulele videos where people choose to not show their face. I don't understand what the big deal is. People have their own personal reasons for it. Most of us, Seasonistas, enjoy making videos weekly and marking our progress with the uke. We also enjoy the fellowship. I would rather someone make a headless video than to not post at all! I'd hate for someone to miss out just because people complain that they can't see someone's face. I guess if it bothers someone to watch a video where someone hides their face, then don't watch. It's no big deal. The headless video posters will still have fun. But you will be missing out on some good music.

I hope I haven't ticked anyone off. It's not my intention. I just don't want the headless video posters to feel bad, either, when they have done nothing wrong.
Oh this is so true Deb. You are right on the mark!

If I look angry in my videos; I'm not either. I love to make music. In my case I look the way I do because of 60 years of acute, chronic pain. I do not complain of this except for one reason. I never learned to smile.

Though I've not posted videos I've made some to hear myself. I use Photobooth on my iMac. When I'm close enough that the uke and hands fill the frame my head is above it. If I move back far enough to get my head in I'm too far away and the built in mic isn't close enough for the proper volume.

If your phone has an input connection get a Lavalier or similar mic to use with your phone. If it sends a digital signal to the phone so much the better.

I don't seek fame. when my 15 minutes comes, and it does that repeatedly, I make the most of it.

Growing up I too had my share of those little bits of "fame" - in the newspaper, on local TV, that sort of thing. It never made me uncomfortable the way the Internet does - on the web, once something is out there it is out there forever, whether or not you want it to be. I'm old enough that when it happened when I was a kid, once it was over, it was over unless my mom saved a newspaper clipping - no VCRs or scanners in those days!

I have a feeling gender plays into the "headless uker" thing as well. Hopefully my experience was in the minority, but I'll just say that as a woman, putting videos on YT opened up a whole new avenue for harassment! I get enough of that just walking past a construction zone, so - no more.

Having already become a very popular artist in town back in the mid 90's I made an effort to not become famous and recognizable by strangers. This is almost a joke as I am very recognizable by those who have met me.

There are no pictures of me online there was once one in front of a shop I was working with but that is now gone. The tattoo videos Ive released have no direct face shots in them though you can hear my voice in a couple. A year or so ago the silly sounds/words season I tried recording myself and learned I was much worse than I thought playing and singing, my recording equipment stunk and my shop is anything but quiet its all hums and buzzes.

Here we are now I'm pretty well geared up with a tascam dp 008ex for sound my 3rd or 4th gen ipod films in 1080p so I'm covered there if not I have an old bloggie that I believe also does 1080p not that I need it for YouTube. I just haven't the guts yet and or figured out how I'm going to present myself.

Ive looked into masks and other ways to cover my face, Ive made a camera mount to mount my ipod to my risa stick as well for an interesting view. I dont get the concern really over seeing someones face. I mean they are playing an instrument not selling me anything or hiding their O-face. The walking dead? Really? A younger me might become the Headless Zombie Uker blood and all! Well see what Halloween brings.

~peace~

I've noticed that I look angry, in my uke videos, too. I guess it's because I'm concentrating. I sure don't feel angry!

I call that my "uke face" :) It's funny, though, how when I'm at my most happiest - concentrating on playing a challenging piece - I look my most angriest.

Iamnoman - I think I explained myself badly, as I am not hiding from mistakes at all. This is the quote that gave me my New Years Resolution -

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something.

Neil Gaiman

I just don't think my face is necessary in the video.

This discomfort with headless players is not the problem of the player and it is quite possibly rude to suggest the player should change themselves. Just as if someone gets mad at this reply its not on me for their anger but themselves. Now of course I aim to help others mostly so I do offer a simple solution that involves nothing but a piece of paper, your printer, some tape or glue and a Popsicle, chop or shish kebab stick.

Google a picture of a person of your choice there are many available with a search. Then cut this out and attach it to the stick or pencil with tape or glue maybe make a few different sizes. You can then puppet in your own head on any video that may cause you any disconcert.

Below Ive attached a couple pictures to use as a jumping point for your own creativity.

borat220906_700x451.jpg Obama-BuzzFeed-620x362-720x340.jpg bugs_1.jpg

Using this method your headless player problem can have anyone playing for you in the comfort of your own home. It can even make those angry people look happy!

frau-gr%u0025C3%u0025BCndgens.jpg

Warning: the above is funny nothing but, if you dont see it as funny ask yourself why not?

Last edited:
Top Bottom