Anybody here watch the Discovery Channel?

I've watched all the ones mentioned here. And I really like The Colony. I thought last season's group was better though.

There was also another survival type show but I forgot the name - a small group had to travel through the arctic (Alaska Experiment?.)

I was not crazy about Survivorman because he kept talking about how lonely he was. Too much talk, not enough tips.

Whale Wars is interesting if it happens to be on, but I don't go out of my way to catch it.

Last edited:
I've watched all the ones mentioned here. And I really like The Colony. I thought last season's group was better though.

There was also another survival type show but I forgot the name - a small group had to travel through the arctic (Alaska Experiment?.)

I was not crazy about Survivorman because he kept talking about how lonely he was. Too much talk, not enough tips.

Whale Wars is interesting if it happens to be on, but I don't go out of my way to catch it.

The Colony,, it was great , how did I fail to mention it??
Yeah the Alaska Exp. was great , it took people who knew nothing & most of them learned and adapted. I want to catch a rerun of it.
What Im wondering about The Colony, is they do get attacked. Now if they seriously defend themselves, will it be held againt them in a court of law? Yeah , its scripted, but I think in their situation the line between reality & fantasty gets blurred. What would you do if somebody sprayed pepper sprayin your eyes? I dont think I would want to be in that position.

Steve

I tried getting interested in "The Colony" and "Alaska Experiment" but I couldn't do it. They resemble too much like "Survivor" and other reality shows that look like they were scripted instead.

Last edited:
The Colony,, it was great , how did I fail to mention it??
Yeah the Alaska Exp. was great , it took people who knew nothing & most of them learned and adapted. I want to catch a rerun of it.
What Im wondering about The Colony, is they do get attacked. Now if they seriously defend themselves, will it be held againt them in a court of law? Yeah , its scripted, but I think in their situation the line between reality & fantasty gets blurred. What would you do if somebody sprayed pepper sprayin your eyes? I dont think I would want to be in that position.

Steve

In the first season, I believe the people attacking were not allowed to actually touch the colonists, just intimidate them. I'm sure the people they hire are professionals in some kind of fighting art and know how to defend themselves. This season, it seems the attackers are hands-on but I'm sure they are also professionals in fighting arts or self defense. The fights are planned, so I think producers know to keep things like pepper spray unavailable to either side. As far as law suits, both colonists and attackers have to sign a contract so it's probably covered in there.

In the first season, I believe the people attacking were not allowed to actually touch the colonists, just intimidate them. I'm sure the people they hire are professionals in some kind of fighting art and know how to defend themselves. This season, it seems the attackers are hands-on but I'm sure they are also professionals in fighting arts or self defense. The fights are planned, so I think producers know to keep things like pepper spray unavailable to either side. As far as law suits, both colonists and attackers have to sign a contract so it's probably covered in there.

But the colonists DID get sprayed in the first contact with the large group. I think it was the second episode. Maybe 3 of them got it in their eyes.
Steve

But the colonists DID get sprayed in the first contact with the large group. I think it was the second episode. Maybe 3 of them got it in their eyes.
Steve

Yeah I just saw that in part of one of the flashbacks. The second ep happened to be the same week I was out of town. I still think everything is covered under the contracts they signed before the show.

Hello,
Yes any body watch the discovery channel. It is my favorite channel. I like some show of this channel. My favorite show are:-
Man vs Wild
Dirty Job
Deadliest catch
Time wrap

You mean, Time Warp? That was fun. Can't say much about Deadliest Catch now that the Hillstrands and Sig Hansen are leaving the show.

This is the best time for Discovery to air such great shows that involve science and wildlife.

My personal favorites are:

Survivorman - I wish for more episode from this program.

Mythbusters - even after six seasons, this is the most educational and entertaining show on there.

Dirty Jobs - Mike Rowe is still funny and dirty for plunging into the craziest and most vital jobs.

Deadliest Catch - One of the better reality shows about crab fishing on TV.

Man Vs. Wild - It's still fascinating but Bear Grills is getting more standoff-ish.

I'd rather go to the dentist than watch any of these shows. Keep in mind, however, that I still like Andy Griffith reruns. :p

Dirty Jobs is fine by me. Mike Rowe isn't a bad host and he's right for this series. Not too talkative, he lets the subjects do the talking and that's alright by me. Survivorman makes me want to take a ukulele to a tropic island and strum away while looking for stuff to get by on if I get shipwrecked miles away from home.

Last edited:
I used to watch it a lot more when it was more science-oriented. Since it started, it's added all sorts of pap that really belongs on some other channel (humour? sports? gullible peoples' network? religious cult network?). They put paranormal ghost hunter nonsense on prime time instead of Saturday morning when the children can watch that sort of crap. Adults don't want that stuff. They have all sorts of "mysterious stuff" shows about things that aren't mysterious at all, but they try to pretend they are. Nova is the show I turn to for science.

I would like to consider myself as a discovery channel bum. I like mythbusters the most though I also enjoy watching whale wars and those shows about jungle survival.

I specifically enjoy watching Bear Grylls and his quest to survive a whole island for some days. For the number of episodes I watched, I think I like the sequence when he ate a small live frog which he claimed to give him a lot of energy. Well, that should really pump you up.

I would like to consider myself as a discovery channel bum. I like mythbusters the most though I also enjoy watching whale wars and those shows about jungle survival.

I specifically enjoy watching Bear Grylls and his quest to survive a whole island for some days. For the number of episodes I watched, I think I like the sequence when he ate a small live frog which he claimed to give him a lot of energy. Well, that should really pump you up.

Bear Grills is pretty good, but there are times when he shows off to the camera too often. Let's see Bear Grills play a ukulele in the jungle on his show.

I watched a few TV shows too.

I used to watch it a lot more when it was more science-oriented. Since it started, it's added all sorts of pap that really belongs on some other channel (humour? sports? gullible peoples' network? religious cult network?). They put paranormal ghost hunter nonsense on prime time instead of Saturday morning when the children can watch that sort of crap. Adults don't want that stuff. They have all sorts of "mysterious stuff" shows about things that aren't mysterious at all, but they try to pretend they are. Nova is the show I turn to for science.

How about the History Channel reporting on alien encounters? :D

I like Discovery and History a lot, they are pretty fun. Do you know where I can watch these TV Channels online? I have been looking for some Live TV Streaming Sites lately, and I would appreciate any input on it, thank you in advance for all your replies, guys :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom