Ukulele Humidifier Questions, Recommendations and Logistics

Farkvam

Reaction score
Hi all,

I ordered my first solid wood uku and am looking for some advice on humidifiers. I live in Southern Ontario where the winters are cold and dry, and the summers are humid and hot.

First a logistics question: due to chronic but temporary illness I am resting most of the day at home and often sit with my uke on my lap, where I can play it anytime, sometimes just for a couple minutes at a time throughout the day (a small but important joy in the midst of difficulty). I was told I need to get a humidifier, and it struck me: how is that going to work, when I have it ready to go leaning against the wall or on my lap? I have to remove and reseat the device any time I want to play it? Sounds like a pain to be honest, I'm wondering if humidifying it at night during these dry months is enough?

During the summer however I spend most of the day on the balcony and would like to keep my uke with me there for easy access. Will the summer humidity be safe for the uke, or am I just getting paranoid? :)

If anyone has any recommendations for a humidifier that is easy to insert and remove that would be a big help as well. Is it ok to have the uke upright against the wall with a humidifier in the strings?

Apologies for the meandering post, just looking for some advice on managing humidity for someone in my position. Thank you in advance!

What is it that they say "Any humidifier is better than no humidifier" In your situation you will never be able to maintain a steady 50% humidity. So, short of getting a whole house humidifier, you can get one that fits in the sound hole. Find a style that is easy to remove and put on. I just bought an electric humidifier for my display case and I think it will work out well. But, I don't leave these particular ukes out. I always put them back in the display cabinet. I keep an inexpensive humidifier in each uke case for the others. Anything is better than nothing.

I lived in KW and London ON for many years and found the summer humidity there oppressive. But if it's comfortable enough for you to sit outside then it is also good enough for your uke. In the winter it can get a bit dry inside and my house there had a drum humidifier attached to the furnace which helped a bit with comfort. You could try a sponge in the case or bag just for the night if you notice changes to your uke such as fret sprout, or get a room humidifier which will also be beneficial for you.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you don’t need to worry about the summers. Just don’t let the Uke sit around in the direct sunlight. In the winters, keep your Uke humidified overnight and when not in use. A sound hole humidifier or a humidified cabinet should be fine. Happy strumming! ��

Get a hard case for your uke if you don't already have one. Buy a Boveda or D'Addario 49% HumidPack for stringed instruments with a sleeve. Keep the humidPack inside the case all the time. (I smush mine in by the heel of the uke.) Put your uke inside the case when you're not playing it.

The HumidPack will keep your case at 45-50% RH. It releases moisture when the air is dry, and absorbs moisture when the air is humid.

You only have to use one in the case because they are made for use in guitars. They recommend two to hang inside a guitar in the sound hole, and one by the headstock. I find that one is enough in a tenor ukulele case. Hanging it in the soundhole actually was too much humidity for some of my ukes, so I place it by the heel of the uke in the space between the heel and case's compartment (not under the instrument).

You don't have to hang anything on the strings. To be safe, you can buy an inexpensive hygrometer such as an Inkbird to make sure the interior of the case has the desired RH. You have to replace the HumidPack about once a year. Rarely a paper pouch might develop a small damp patch, I've had that happen to 2 out of 50+ because I squeezed the pouch when the crystals had formed towards the end of the pouch's life, and I think they pierced the inner envelope. The sleeve prevented the damp patch from touching the ukulele's finish.

All the best with your difficulties.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input! Despite owning a guitar for over twenty years I had never used a humidifier, so this has answered some good questions for me. Cheers!

I live in Germany where air conditioning and whole-house humidity regulation in private homes is very uncommon. In the winters, in-doors humidity drops to below 30%, and something like 10% if I open the windows for 10 minutes when it's freezing outside. Summers can get relatively humid with humidity values of up to around 70%. Instead of guessing, I'd suggest to get a hygrometer for exact values (my guesses were fairly off!), which also helps with peace of mind.

My experience with my ukes is that the temporarily higher humidity values didn't negatively affect any of my instruments over the years. Low humidity, though, is a problem. On my first tenor, before I humidified, the fingerboard shrunk due to low humidity, which caused the frets to stick out and a string started buzzing. Humidifying it fixed the buzz, luckily. In your situation, I'd probably not overly worry about the summers, but I'd look into humidifying the room you play/rest in during winters, if you keep the instruments out of their cases (with humidifiers inside). If it's very dry, keeping them out for 12 hours a day can already cause issues. A properly humidified room would also be good for you, not just the ukuleles.

I eventually bought a quality laminate ukulele from Kiwaya for my "always out" soprano in the winter. Regularly oiling the fretboard prevented issues. My very first uke, a Stagg concert with a solid top (which is actually a really nice instrument), has also spent more time outside of a humidified case than inside one, and it didn't suffer. But that was a €150 ukulele, and it's not a risk I'd take with my vintage or more expensive ukuleles.

Vielen Dank for the suggestions Mivo. I had written out a response in German for you but it wouldn't post. Probably just as well to keep things readable for everyone!
My new uke isn't expensive, about the price if your first uke, but I'd still like to take good care of it of course :)

Last edited:
Minnesota person here who has the same problem. My general rule is I put in humidifier when I turn on the furnace. You can DYI with pill box / craft containers with small holes in it and water crystals https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-Water-Storing-Crystals-12-Ounce/dp/B0042YYVYG/ref=asc_df_B0042YYVYG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167118301188&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10889440888456162961&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019623&hvtargid=pla-311195095669&psc=1 (that is a lifetime supply)

If you are concerned then get a hydrometer. https://www.elderly.com/collections/humidification/products/oasis-oh-2-hygrometer

Last edited:
get a hygrometer. If you're not accessing, then you're only guessing. Trump's gone; it is once again okay to use data to inform your decisions. I keep my ukuleles in hard cases with humidifiers. It is easier to humidify a case than a casa. I became a bit lazy and didn't return one of my ukes to its case between usages and the frets became wonky. My 16th fret became buzzy and muted. That was a big deal to me who prefers to play between the B notes on the 11th and 16th frets. My luthier said the fret board was dried out and he had to service the frets. The uke is okay now and resting nightly in its little 40% velvet-lined coffin.

Thank you vanflynn and ripock! Great suggestions.

Minnesota person here who has the same problem. My general rule is I put in humidifier when I turn on the furnace. You can DYI with pill box / craft containers with small holes in it and water crystals https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-Water-Storing-Crystals-12-Ounce/dp/B0042YYVYG/ref=asc_df_B0042YYVYG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167118301188&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10889440888456162961&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019623&hvtargid=pla-311195095669&psc=1 (that is a lifetime supply)

If you are concerned then get a hydrometer. https://www.elderly.com/collections/humidification/products/oasis-oh-2-hygrometer

Interesting idea. How well does it keep humidity up around 50% in the winter? Is it consistant? How often do you have to change them or put more water in?

Interesting idea. How well does it keep humidity up around 50% in the winter? Is it consistant? How often do you have to change them or put more water in?

That’s why you get the hydrometer. Mileage may vary

FWIW, and not everyone will want to pop for these. But, I bought a pair of Cigar-Oasis Excel 3.0 Electronic Wi-Fi humidifier/hygrometers. I put one each in my cases for my more pricey ukes. I love the Excel 3.0. So far, 10 days and I have not yet had to refill them with water (and I am in a really dry environment). I like the fact it has wi-fi and a cool app. However, there is an additional subscription to use the wi-fi.

20210401_175124.jpg

While you are researching, check out the Boveda (49%) packets. A close friend and classical guitar player uses them on his 6 & 12 strings. What's nice is they work "both ways" bringing humidity up and bringing it down. Sounds unlikely, but I've used them in three closed cases, each has a hygrometer and during dry Wisconsin winters and humid Augusts, all stayed withing a +- 4% of the 49%. ( PS- I also keep an Oasis-18 in each uke sound hole as the cases are a snug fit!)

https://bovedainc.com

I also use an Oasis-18 for inside the body. When the ukes are inside the caseOne other piece of wisdom.. my friend suggested "seasoning" a new case with a Boveda pack and Oasis before using it on a new uke. Presumption is that the padding will absorb some of the moisture right away. Who knows... ? Can't hurt!

When using the Oasis, check it frequently when you first start using it. You'll get an idea of how frequently it needs refilling. And DON'T let it go completely dry, i.e. collapsing on itself. The fabric will eventually crack and possibly leak. At the end of the dryness season I remove the cap and let the gel beads dry out. They last longer and don't damage the fabric while drying out.

I live in the arid western US. I have 23 stringed instruments hanging on the wall in my climate controlled music room. I have an airecare cool mist wicking filter humidifier that cycles on and off with its own humidistat. It holds about 1.5 gallons and I refill it about every two days. I have a smaller Vicks model that only holds about half a gallon. I have to refill it daily.

My hygrometers indicate the relative humidity stays around 45%.

I live in the arid western US. I have 23 stringed instruments hanging on the wall in my climate controlled music room. I have an airecare cool mist wicking filter humidifier that cycles on and off with its own humidistat. It holds about 1.5 gallons and I refill it about every two days. I have a smaller Vicks model that only holds about half a gallon. I have to refill it daily.

My hygrometers indicate the relative humidity stays around 45%.

I'm curious. What hygrometer do you use?

While you are researching, check out the Boveda (49%) packets. A close friend and classical guitar player uses them on his 6 & 12 strings. What's nice is they work "both ways" bringing humidity up and bringing it down. Sounds unlikely, but I've used them in three closed cases, each has a hygrometer and during dry Wisconsin winters and humid Augusts, all stayed withing a +- 4% of the 49%. ( PS- I also keep an Oasis-18 in each uke sound hole as the cases are a snug fit!)

https://bovedainc.com

I also use an Oasis-18 for inside the body. When the ukes are inside the caseOne other piece of wisdom.. my friend suggested "seasoning" a new case with a Boveda pack and Oasis before using it on a new uke. Presumption is that the padding will absorb some of the moisture right away. Who knows... ? Can't hurt!

When using the Oasis, check it frequently when you first start using it. You'll get an idea of how frequently it needs refilling. And DON'T let it go completely dry, i.e. collapsing on itself. The fabric will eventually crack and possibly leak. At the end of the dryness season I remove the cap and let the gel beads dry out. They last longer and don't damage the fabric while drying out.

Cool suggestions Web_Parrot!

I use the Inkbird hygrometer. It's small and inexpensive so I can tuck one in each case. There is peace of mind knowing what the humidity levels are.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-ITH-...=1&keywords=hygrometer&qid=1619566454&sr=8-16

This is one of the articles (authored by Andrew Kitakis of The Ukulele Site) that got me on the right path when it comes to humidity. You can drive yourself crazy over it, or get that hygrometer and follow Andrew's practical advice.

https://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/what-every-ukulele-player-should-know-about-humidity

I keep my ukes in their cases, but they are close at hand.

We've got high humidity in summer and when those readings get too high for me, I use Bovida (as someone else suggested) and I use Oasis humidifiers as well as Bovida during our very dry winters.

Bluesy.

Top Bottom