Steel string ukes - a tally

ichadwick

Reaction score
What companies currently produce steel-string ukes? Are they acoustic or electric? I'm trying to get a tally of who makes them.

I've seen some Jupiter electrics with them. I saw a thread that suggested Eleuke was coming out with some models, but haven't seen one yet. Any others?

My interest in steel strings just perked up about 1,000%. I borrowed a Boss eBand JS-8 from the local music store. I has a huge library of amp sims, effects, and loops (with drums, bass and rhythm). Plus it can loop a phrase for learning, input songs from USB, iPod or flash drive, and record pieces. Tons of features in a small box that doubles as a mini-amp.

My ukes sound great through it, but I also want to try steel - maybe open-tuned slide. Thought it might be worth looking into to see who offered them. Tenor, of course.

Risa make fabulous steel-string electrics. I have their new Tenor Les Paul model (with humbucking pickups!), which is definitely my favourite, primary uke.
lpandsam.jpg

Soprano Electric (single coil)
Tenor Electric (single coil)
8-string electric

Soprano Les Paul Electrics (humbuckers):
Black
Sunburst
Mahogany

Tenor Les Paul Electrics:
Black
Sunburst
Mahogany

I don't have a great sound sample of it yet.
But I use it in this video after 2:00 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-bu5__RKw
(first clean, then with some distortion)

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check them out. I trust they have a sales outlet or distributor in North America...

Last edited:
Not likely, I ordered mine direct from ukulele.de Germany. If you make an account and login, you get 19% off, as you're exempt from European VAT tax.

My ukes sound great through it, but I also want to try steel - maybe open-tuned slide.

Don't even know if one's available anywhere, but wouldn't a tenor reso-uke with steel strings be perfect for slide?

The Risas are nice enough to warrant my attention, but the price is a tad hight and shipping to Canada is a killer. I'm looking for one I can get here. Seems I need to keep looking...

Elderly sells them? Didn't know. They're a 6-8 hour drive away. Will check their store.

I don't usually mind paying shipping from the USA - although in the past Elderly has quoted me DOUBLE the cost to ship from Michigan as MGM quoted to ship from Hawaii and others have quoted to ship from California.

I saw a thread that suggested Eleuke was coming out with some models, but haven't seen one yet.
I just saw pictures of the prototype... looks pretty cool, we'll be testing them out soon. So, sometime, EleUke steel strings will be coming...

Sometime? As in soon? I'm on the verge of taking up an offer of a Risa in the marketplace area...

Can a normal Eleuke be strung with steel strings instead of nylon?

I saw that. Very, very nice, and looks well made. At $300 I'd buy it in a flash. But it's pricier than I really hoped to pay. With taxes and shipping, that would add another $135-150 to the total.

Just as a comparision, I can walk into any music store in Canada and get a new Strat clone for $100-$150, many even come with a gig bag at that price. Mine is on consignment at the local store for $125 and it's so unused the mactac is still on the pick guard! So $600-$800 for a solid body uke just seems over the top. I can get a new Strat for that price, or any of a number of brand-name instruments. Why would a solid-body uke be so expensive?

The new model does not cost more due to mere style.
The LP has the new handmade custom Ukulele humbucking pickups, with separate tone and volume controls for each pickup (there are 4 turning knobs).
I find that it gives me a lot of flexibility with the sound. Each pickup combination (neck, bridge, neck+bridge) gives me a different kind of sound suiting different purposes.

They have definitely invested in the quality of the electronics and its output. Humbuckers give a richer, warmer tone than single coils, and are more resistant to picking up interference (humbuckers "buck" the "hum").

Every other steel-string electric uke I've seen has single coil pickups and one tone and volume knob.

Last edited:
Top Bottom