Greetings from sunny Singapore!

YunaAngell

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Yuna, nice to meet you all.

I'm a total beginner in the ukulele. I just bought my first uke today. Going for Rockschool Debut level classes in December. The music school said they will teach a quick 3 level lessons then they will start on the Rockschool grades. I intend to finish all the grades for the ukulele in the coming years.

I also intend to take up the James Hill ukulele teacher course next year together with my Rockschool classes as the the school said the James Hill level 1 is suitable for total beginners. I thought I needed to finish all the Rockschool grades in order to take up the James Hill courses but the school said I could start at level 1 as a total beginner. I would have some knowledge of the uke by then because I'm starting the James Hill courses only late next year and I start the uke Rockschool Debut level classes this December.

I'm going to buy an acoustic guitar for fun soon and teach myself to play the guitar with Youtube and books.

I find the ukulele has only 4 grades for the Rockschool which is faster to learn than say the guitar which has 8 grades for the Rockschool which is daunting to me because I need to spend 8 years studying and I find myself old already at 37 LOL. I might go for basic lessons for the guitar in the end but not the 8 grades.

I thought to myself that maybe learning the uke well will help me to adapt to the guitar on my own better. With some basic guitar lessons for me of course maybe next year for just a few months.

I was in the school choir for 7 years starting from high school into different school levels afterwards too. I had performed at the National Parade with the combined school choir and at school events. I never learnt music theory and just sang by ear.

After I was hit with schizophrenia and depression in 2004 in my early 20s, I was having bad memory and I became slightly tone deaf. I had shouting matches and screaming fits in the psych ward and that changed the quality of my voice. I couldn't really sing anymore. I want to retrain myself in music officially starting with learning the ukulele. I'll be going for singing lessons later on just to get that off my bucket list of gaining my singing ability back after the illnesses.

I saw a few strum and sing lessons advertised locally and maybe once I'm good with the ukulele, I might take up the strum and sing lessons.

Sorry I must have said too much by now. I should stop.

Hello again and thanks for having me here.
Yuna :)

Last edited:
Yuna,
I have only played the ukulele for roughly a year and just two years playing a guitar.
I seem to be the only individual that can stand to listen to my playing though.:eek:
I play ukulele much more than guitar, I find the sound of a Uke calming and they just seem to speak to my soul.

Yuna,
I have only played the ukulele for roughly a year and just two years playing a guitar.
I seem to be the only individual that can stand to listen to my playing though.:eek:
I play ukulele much more than guitar, I find the sound of a Uke calming and they just seem to speak to my soul.

LOL I'm sure your family or friends would love to hear you play a little at least.

I find music speaks to my soul too. The sound of a uke is really nice. And a guitar sounds really cool too.

Yuna :)

Top Bottom