Locks and Straps

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I had two disappointments yesterday. I bought three D'Addrario straps and half a dozen sets of strap lock buttons, but neither was any good. I don't know what D'Addario was thinking, but those straps must be made for a small child. The funny thing is they cost two dollars more than the 59" guitar straps.
"D'Addario Planet Waves Polypropylene Ukulele Strap"

The strap locks were from eBay - six sets. They seemed to be okay until I tried to put the strap on and take it off. The release button was very hard to pull, so there's too much of a chance of slipping and scratching the uke. Ironically, I bought the locks so that it would be easier putting the straps on and off.

I could try again and buy the $20 locks, but I'm done with locks - and D'Addario straps.

Thanks. I've seen that Tapastring posted here before. I have the opposite problem. My straps tend to be tight going on and off, and I was looking for an easier way to get them on and off without the straps coming off on their own. Maybe I'll try a pair of these $23 Schallers.

https://smile.amazon.com/Schaller-1...r+strap+locks&qid=1568048588&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Those Schallers are excellent, and I use them on all of my guitars. They would sure strike me as overkill on a uke, but they are very easy to mount and dismount, and are super secure, so it would seem to meet your needs.

I love the Schallers on my electric guitars and basses. I tried them on a couple of ukes but removed them. My uke straps fit well enough that they're easier to install and remove on their own than with the quick release. The Schallers also seemed pretty bulky on the small instruments, and they added enough bulk to the straps that I couldn't roll them up to fit in the case pockets well.

You might want to try opening the strap hole a bit. Another option is an elliptical button (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FKF3L6 ) which can make adding the strap a bit easier.

I love the Schallers on my electric guitars and basses. I tried them on a couple of ukes but removed them. My uke straps fit well enough that they're easier to install and remove on their own than with the quick release. The Schallers also seemed pretty bulky on the small instruments, and they added enough bulk to the straps that I couldn't roll them up to fit in the case pockets well.

You might want to try opening the strap hole a bit. Another option is an elliptical button (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FKF3L6 ) which can make adding the strap a bit easier.

Thanks for that. I think I'll leave well enough alone. I did have to open up some strap holes, but it's a fine line between large enough and too large.

Recently got a new used uke and had no idea what strap locks were until I came across these buttons. Might anyone recognize this brand or know the compatible locking system I can use?

Or do you think it's better to just swap em out?

I might take it down to Gryphon Stringed Insruments and ask their opinion as well.

20231223_182338.jpg

Last edited:
Recently got a new used uke and had no idea what strap locks were until I came across these buttons. Might anyone recognize this brand or know the compatible locking system I can use?

Or do you think it's better to just swap em out?

I might take it down to Gryphon Stringed Insruments and ask their opinion as well.

View attachment 163181
I like the idea of the locks for quick connect/disconnect, but I would like to see them standardized. I wound up with two or more conflicting systems, so I don't use any - just strap buttons.

I use this on my Baritone. It is a bit too much for my soprano and concert.

You could also give these a try from D'Addario (they also come in red) - similar to the rubber Grolsch beer bottle seal trick 😁

These are also from D'Addario, but a more secure fit (I've used these - as well as the Grolsch bottle seal...)

I should note that these are for use with standard strap buttons rather than purchasing strap locks...

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Awesome! I have to say, I thought those posts looked kind of unwieldy, but with the locking button on, those look great! The best I've seen!

Awesome! I have to say, I thought those posts looked kind of unwieldy, but with the locking button on, those look great! The best I've seen!
Same here! I had no idea what to expect, but now I love 'em. Super easy to pop on and off, but also super secure when locked in. And as soon as I saw the skull, I was sold.

You could also give these a try from D'Addario (they also come in red) - similar to the rubber Grolsch beer bottle seal trick 😁

These are also from D'Addario, but a more secure fit (I've used these - as well as the Grolsch bottle seal...)

I should note that these are for use with standard strap buttons rather than purchasing strap locks...

Good luck!!
Yes, the Grolsch beer bottle style rubber washers work like a charm as strap locks. I've never had a strap fall off while using one. Cheap and effective.

Attachments

• 20240208_083807.jpg
    20240208_083807.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom