::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Parents giving their kids weird spellings of their names is really inconsiderate to the kid. It doesn't make your kid any more special, you are just dooming them to a life of having to spell or pronounce their names every time they have an sort of official interaction. Kind of a pet peeve of mine.

I agree.

Try going through life with "[NAME REDACTED]".

These days I just carry a black Sharpie and draw a thick black line where it says "Signature". No body knows how to pronounce that.

So yesterday was "the most snowed day" in San Jose

43 years ago it snowed quite a bit in San Jose. If I remember correctly in my neighborhood, it was about 4-6" deep and it was so much fun. I think 10 years before that, on the same date it snowed hard enough to stay on the ground a while too. Yesterday it snowed again but not enough to stick unless you were at the higher elevations. The Santa Clara Valley looks beautiful right now because the we're surrounded by snow capped foothills.

It is kind of cold though. Well, California cold.

Ah yes, that "California cold". You had to put on socks with your sandals.

9k=

As someone with an uncommon (yet still not made-up) name, I went through a few phases of liking and not liking it.
In elementary school I just wanted a "normal" name like all my friends. I could never find any of those personalized items at the store like a cup or those little license plates with your name on it for your bike.
I get annoyed having to correct people sometimes.
Starbucks is fun.
Anyhow by the time I was 15 or 16 I kind of liked having a different name.
I also think once Matt Damon became famous at least most people have heard the name and now can even spell it correctly. So that helps.
I have met only five people with my name, one of them is female, and one also spells his differently (Daemon).
So I think a unique or interesting name is overall a good thing, but not a weird or made-up name just to be weird or made-up.
Some of those names with accent marks that do not affect pronunciation are probably my biggest pet peeves.

Parents being clever can end up just being cruel though.

Sometimes they do well though.
For example, I like the name Aldrine. :D
I don't know how many of you know the story behind it.
His parents wanted to give him an American name. They named him after Buzz Aldrin. But they added the "e" at the end to make it "more American."
I think that's a great story too!

As someone with an uncommon (yet still not made-up) name, I went through a few phases of liking and not liking it.
In elementary school I just wanted a "normal" name like all my friends. I could never find any of those personalized items at the store like a cup or those little license plates with your name on it for your bike.
I get annoyed having to correct people sometimes.
Starbucks is fun.
Anyhow by the time I was 15 or 16 I kind of liked having a different name.
I also think once Matt Damon became famous at least most people have heard the name and now can even spell it correctly. So that helps.
I have met only five people with my name, one of them is female, and one also spells his differently (Daemon).
So I think a unique or interesting name is overall a good thing, but not a weird or made-up name just to be weird or made-up.
Some of those names with accent marks that do not affect pronunciation are probably my biggest pet peeves.

Parents being clever can end up just being cruel though.

Sometimes they do well though.
For example, I like the name Aldrine. :D
I don't know how many of you know the story behind it.
His parents wanted to give him an American name. They named him after Buzz Aldrin. But they added the "e" at the end to make it "more American."
I think that's a great story too!

Was Damon that hard for people to get?

I know two other Damons.

My surname is spelt the Scottish old-country way, less common in the US. I've given countless spelling lessons in my time.

I have to sweep the whole interior of the pool twice a day. Each time is a half hour upper body workout. I have flimsy little ukulele arms. Maybe I'll bulk up a bit.

I have to sweep the whole interior of the pool twice a day. Each time is a half hour upper body workout. I have flimsy little ukulele arms. Maybe I'll bulk up a bit.

Get one of those bubble-wrap type covers that float on the water. Does great for keeping dust/dirt and leaves out, and maintaining temp. We had one when we had a pool in California.

Get one of those bubble-wrap type covers that float on the water. Does great for keeping dust/dirt and leaves out, and maintaining temp. We had one when we had a pool in California.

This is for while the plaster cures. I only have to do it for a couple of weeks. Then the pool's cleaning system takes over.

Worked today. Then loaded up my inventory in my van. Headed out tomorrow to the Fresno Jazz Festival to sell my clothing line over the weekend. It’s fun and my gf Judy goes with me. We have a lot of laughs and I come home with money. It’s a win/win.

Worked today. Then loaded up my inventory in my van. Headed out tomorrow to the Fresno Jazz Festival to sell my clothing line over the weekend. It’s fun and my gf Judy goes with me. We have a lot of laughs and I come home with money. It’s a win/win.

I've heard about that....a couple of girls take off in a van and come home with a wad of cash. Just don't get caught, Sally!! ;)

Top Bottom