Season 453 - Laundry day

I sent her the video as a reminder and asked if she still liked to spin to see if she could do things
under pressure... her reply was "not for a while now"... that is a real grown up answer.
Ahh the wonder of a lost childhood.

I loved it when the laundry went into the pressurised spin-cycle. That was a fun peek into the family scrapbook of memories. Grandfather was doing a good job with the accompaniment as well.

Get A Load Of This from R. Crumb & The Cheap Suit Serenaders

I was reminded of this by Yukio's great version of Charlie Jordan's Keep It Clean. I'm sure that was the inspiration for The Cheap Suits' song.

An original for the season from me. The voice you hear is actually a sampled version of mine - sampling isn’t something I’ve dabbled in much up to now, but I had a specific sound in mind and this fitted perfectly! Listen with headphones for full effect if you can. Thanks for hosting, Mikkel! :)

So, Berni's Epiphany week has begun, and we are well into the last day of the clean dirty entertainment!

I figured I better record something myself also, just for good measure.

Including this, we are up to 44 videos - and still time left to record!

This theme was challenging for me. In the end I found this children's song. It's not a well-known nursery song, it's a modern song written by Kris Flameng.

This past week, songwriter Tom Lehrer began the process of sharing all of his creative work in the public domain. What a cool guy!

This Lehrer song mentions both brushing your teeth and throwing out the garbage.

Just doing a bit of last-minute dirty work for our man, Marc, in Texas.....

So, the week is all finished!
52 videos all together.
Most songs I anticipated showed up, and a lot I didn't know.
I will see if I can make a wrap up one of these days.

Lead mining was an important industry in England's North Pennine Dales from Roman times (and possibly earlier) until the beginning of the 20th century. Part of processing the ore was to wash it to separate the smaller ore particles from the other materials that were brought up with the ore. Ore washing at one time was done by women and boys not old enough to work down the mines themselves. The process was unpleasant manual work - cold and wet - and was largely mechanised using water power in later years. This song was originally collected from a former Lead Miner from Teessdale who reputedly said you could be sacked if mangement heard you singing it. When the Lead mines began to seriously decline in the late nineteenth century, many of the miners emigrated and later ended up working lead mines in Wisconsin. I remember having a discussion with Randy about this.

When we used to have "folk"weekends up in the Yorkshire Dales ,often in the George at Hubberholme in Wharfedale, an old guy used to get up and entertain us with songs and tales from the local lead mining fields. At the time he still worked on the old spoil heaps where he found enough florspar and other valuable ore to keep himself and family living on his small holding. The songs and stories painted a pretty grim picture of the miners life.

Wrap Up!

I figure I better wrap this up, so it is cleaned away before the next season again is announced.

So, we had 29 participants, bringing 52 songs all together.

We had a lot of fun, I know I had at least, and we had no less than 3 Formby songs.

I hope you all watched all the videos, there is so much good stuff.

There are no prizes, sorry, so it is not the most exciting wrap up. I was hoping to come up with some clever statistics or graphics or stuff, but work got in the way.
Since there are no prizes you there are no winners... I mean, you are all winners, of course, but if I should pick a few honourable mentions:
If you haven't heard cua94's smooth "Rubber Ducky", Kimi and Kevins "Hang me up to dry" or lizbrinkers "Take Me To The River", you should go back and give them a listen. And all the others songs as well.

I hope you are all enjoying the last few days of Berni's theme :)

Top Bottom