New Top and Back Clamping Method: Not Happy

Well that is darn near ingenious. It gives me ideas for other clamping chores and one could make them small for smaller applications. Always can use that special clamp where nothing else quite works... Also probably good for clamping tops and backs. I think that this particular operation does not need a lot of pressure to be strong. I think I tend to over clamp these joins a bit and maybe starve things a bit. The spool clamp can exert a tremendous amount of clamping pressure. Maybe way more than needed. The spring clamp might be just right.

There are perhaps better ways of clamping than what I do but I was never happy with my spool clamping system and several years ago switched to the down and dirty rubber band method (with a couple of clamps at either end of the body). You can see I modified my old spool clamp solera board. I like attaching the back with the neck temporarily attached, ensuring that my geometry is perfect. The body is clamped to the board through the sound hole. I use 5" X 1/2" rubber bands which can be had for about $5 per box of 100. The pegs are simply finish nails covered with surgical tubing. (I would've used dowels if I had some on hand at the time.) Nothing fancy but it's quick and easy and works well.

Attachments

• P1050633 copy.jpg
    P1050633 copy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
There are perhaps better ways of clamping than what I do but I was never happy with my spool clamping system and several years ago switched to the down and dirty rubber band method (with a couple of clamps at either end of the body). You can see I modified my old spool clamp solar board. I like attaching the back with the neck temporarily attached, ensuring that my geometry is perfect. I use 5" X 1/2" rubber bands which can be had for about $5 per box of 100. The pegs are simply finish nails covered with surgical tubing. (I would've used dowels if I had some on hand at the time.) Nothing fancy but it's quick and easy and works well.

Oh, I like this idea! I may have to try this one out. Thanks, Chuck! :D

That's similar to my method, except I use one long length of surgical tubing, one end tied to one of the protruding nails, the rest just zigzagged over the nails.

Bob

What I like about that set-up is the spool clamps in adjustable slots with square ended clamps. Lots of room for adjustment. One of the problems with my system is that there is only 3/16 of an inch wiggle room between the top/back and the bolt which doesn't leave me much waste to play with on the overhang. I have this horrible fear of cutting too close to the sides before I glue and then discovering I cut too close. Hello ruined top or back!

One-clamp plate press

Here's my press for clamping uke plates to the ribs. I have interchangeable cauls for flat and radiused plates. First photo is the basic press. Second is a tenor in its mold waiting for the top to be pressed on. Third is the loaded press. The circular cauls are the same dishes that were used to radius or flatten the ribs/plates. I never had any problems, but I've gone to using a rubbery router mat between the plate to be glued and caul to make sure the joint is tight all the way around. Mine is built right on a bench top, but a bottom could be added to the press to make it portable just to move it out of the way when not in use.

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

To those that use the rubber band, or go bar deck method (chuck, pegasus etc), how do you combat glue squeeze out when it is face down???

Beau, if you're getting squeeze out you're using way too much glue. There's a trick to it, but if you're still spreading glue with a finger tip you'll never figure it out.

I use a plain old disposable acid brush, but once you doctor it up just right you dread the day it finally wears out. Its not a big mystery or anything, but its easier to show than describe. I'll try to shoot a little video the next time I get to that operation.

But you know, guys get so defensive when I tell them that their finger is a poor tool for spreading glue that they deserve to fuss with squeeze out till the cows come home. Just one of my little peeves.

I use a plain old disposable acid brush, but once you doctor it up just right you dread the day it finally wears out. Its not a big mystery or anything, but its easier to show than describe. I'll try to shoot a little video the next time I get to that operation.

But you know, guys get so defensive when I tell them that their finger is a poor tool for spreading glue that they deserve to fuss with squeeze out till the cows come home. Just one of my little peeves.

I tend not to get too anal about these things, rather a little too much glue than not enough. Served me well for over forty years.

If i don't have to clean up glue squeeze out anymore, i'll change!- Ive heard pete uses a roller too whihc im also yet to try

How do you spread glue?

I use the greatest and bestest glue spreading device ever invented: My right index finger (those of you strange people who might be left handed, use your left index finger). The best reason is that you can feel when you have the right amount of glue... As for squeeze out, there was an exhaustive thread on this earlier talking about "good squeeze out". Not a trivial subject by any means, but also not rocket science. What I like to see are those really, really tiny balls of glue along the joint. No more, no less.

Every now and then (like the extra patch on the brace to prevent bellying) you come up with some good stuff that just makes us laugh.

Its a good thing you post stuff like this in the Lounge where we know better. If you post it in Talk, they may actually take you serious!:cool:

So what exactly made you the expert on gluing two pieces of wood together? Do tell us lesser mortals!

Not an expert Dennis, just enjoying the read of the thread. Sequoia has a sense of humor - you must've missed his "jaws bracing". Lots of effort went into that one. Kudos for sure.

Personally, I got absolutely schooled by Pete and his roller for applying glue.

Last edited:
If i don't have to clean up glue squeeze out anymore, i'll change!- Ive heard pete uses a roller too whihc im also yet to try

The important part is getting the brush just right. Out of the box the bristles are too long and the touch too soft. Cut them too short and they sweep away all the glue. I buy Titebond by the quart and transfer some to a small squeeze bottle for use.

Squeeze a puddle onto the neck block, then lay a bead on the rim half way around. If it tends to drip between the teeth of kerfed lining you are using too much glue. Semi-load the brush from the puddle on the neck block, then start on the rim, always brushing toward the interior of the instrument. As you pick up excess glue on the brush, put it on the opposite rim. If you run dry pick up more glue off the neck block. By the time you work around the wet half both edges of the rim should be covered. On a guitar this takes long enough that the lining may be sucking the water out of the glue, so with a semi-loaded brush go around the rims quickly to renew the sheen of the glue. Lastly, run a finger around the neck block to remove the glue on the edges, then clamp on the plate as quickly as possible. Using my press I can clamp down the plate in a few seconds. What I expect to see is no squeeze out on the inside but a string of glue pearls on the outside.

I forgot to mention that before the glue up I use a scrap of 220 grit paper to break the inside edges of the lining. That little round over is enough to hide a skosh of squeeze out.

I forgot to mention that before the glue up I use a scrap of 220 grit paper to break the inside edges of the lining. That little round over is enough to hide a skosh of squeeze out.

Funny you mention that- i've started to do that but my reason was to try to minimise possible telegraphing of the hard edge of the linings - i thin my edges quite a lot.

This is the type of roller i was thinking some used:
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-8-oz-glue-bottle-with-glue-roller

Top Bottom