What songs do you think are the "STANDARDS" for uke?

UkerDan

Reaction score
I've checked out multiple lists online that people claim have the "standard" traditional songs that every ukulele player should know. But all of the lists are completely different (well, they all had Iz's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow).

Please share your opinion! What songs do you feel every uke player should know?

Enter Sandman

We should all play whichever songs we enjoy playing! I don't play Iz's version of Over the Rainbow (or any other version), nor any George Formby songs, nor any tunes with a title ending with "rag". I do play a lot of songs from the Great American Songbook and Tin Pan Alley which to me epitomise the golden age of the ukulele. Ukulele Lady is a good example, as it's of that era *and* it features a ukulele! You might prefer Hawaiian music, in which case your list will be completely different to mine.

There are probably a lot of people out there who feel differently but I don't roll that way. To say that I ought to know song "X-Y-Z" because I play the ukulele is like putting the cart before the horse. I play what I want to play on the uke because I like the song, not because I feel compelled to play or learn a song just because it's associated with the uke. Those circles may sometimes cross but it's not very frequently. I have no desire at all to play/learn Somewhere Over The Rainbow, 5 Foot 2, All Of Me, You Are My Sunshine and the like, some of which is pure dreck.

There are probably a lot of people out there who feel differently but I don't roll that way. To say that I ought to know song "X-Y-Z" because I play the ukulele is like putting the cart before the horse. I play what I want to play on the uke because I like the song, not because I feel compelled to play or learn a song just because it's associated with the uke. Those circles may sometimes cross but it's not very frequently. I have no desire at all to play/learn Somewhere Over The Rainbow, 5 Foot 2, All Of Me, You Are My Sunshine and the like, some of which is pure dreck.

Myself too, I don't even think I ever have tried learn Iz songs, they were wonderful.
Uke works for all kinds of music .... not so well with blues or hard rock of course lol.

"Ukulele Lady", even if you're not.

Amen to Ukulele Lady, we perform it a lot.
IMHO Tiptoe Through the Tulips is a lovely song (No falsetto allowed), and I think SOTR/Wonderful World are obligatory for ukers.
That's just me, though.
If you prefer more modern sangs, Count On Me is really nice. We think Three Little Birds and Don't Worry Be Happy are very cool, too. We've learned No Problems Today by Glenn Rothel, and we're learning Peace, Precious Peace, too.
These are all feel good songs!

I've checked out multiple lists online that people claim have the "standard" traditional songs that every ukulele player should know. But all of the lists are completely different (well, they all had Iz's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow).

Please share your opinion! What songs do you feel every uke player should know?

I believe that everyone who picks up a ukulele does so with a certain song in mind that they want to play. That song is their first "standard" song. Later on (sometimes before the first song is learned) another song will come to mind. That's the second "standard" song in that persons list of traditional standard songs. Before you know it someone else will ask for a list of "standard" traditional songs and the rest is history.

Our Group (and myself in particular!) always get a great feeling playing:
Ain't She Sweet
Five Foot Two
Doctor jazz
Loving You Has Made Me Bananas
as 'standards'.
Then for more modern stuff we really get into:
Up Around The Bend
The Night before
You Shook Me All Night Long
The Weight
But as has been pointed out, you will enjoy playing songs that matter to YOU.
Just enjoy what you are doing, and it's all good!

I've been toying with a songbook that will be titled "The Ukulele Player's Burden." :D

Tiptoe
5'2
SOTR/Wonderful World
Ukulele Lady
Aloha Oe
I'm Yours
Happy Birthday to You
... and more songs, maybe Riptide and Ain't She Sweet? and Tonight You Belong to Me and (shudder) Lava.

I'm sure this list will be different in different places, with different age groups and subcultures (can I just say here that Marrakesh Express at uke club last night totally rocked?)

There's no law saying you have to play the songs people ask for. It's not like any of us are motivated by applause, right? Right? But so help me, every time I play SOTR and there's a living human in earshot, they applaud. Every. Single. Time. Even when it's a group of us rehearsing and we suck. We could play a dozen songs before and after and those get ignored. Unless it's I'm Yours when people whip out their phones to take video.

As the Kinks said, give the people what they want. Or not; your choice. If you can ignore the clamoring demands of the public, then you are stronger than I am.

I'll try to play some of those just because if you play in a group that's what they play. I hate them but for me it's strumming practice. At home I play what I like which is mostly instrumentals, bluegrass and C&W. I do a lot of fingerpicking which is WAY more enjoyable to me.
So, whatever floats your boat...

I think a more productive approach might be "songs that capture the essence of the 'ukulele and you should be familiar with." So far Aloha 'Oe is the only song I see here that I'm slightly inclined to play. But I'm familiar with most of them and they inform my overall picture of the 'ukulele.

The best bit of 'ukulele work ever played, IMO, is by Peter Moon on "Kawika" by the Sunday Manoa. That's the heart of Hawaiian 'ukulele to me.

Standards you say?? That could be quite a list. I am over 80 years old and still love some of the songs my father called favorites or standards from about 1910 on. Since I was raised on the Big Band Sound I have many I call standards. Considering I am from New Orleans I probably have a few more dozen standards. I agree with others on here. What you like and play are your standards and your list will probably never really match any one else's. Play whatever numbers you love, your standards. and let it rip.

Five Foot Two/Please Don't Talk About Me
Sweet Sue
Ukulele Lady
Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian
My Ukulele Helps Me Beat The Blues
My Blue Heaven
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Lindberg Hop
I'm Satisfied With My Gal
If I Had You
Singing In The Bathtub
Living In The Country
Ain't Misbehaving
See You In My Dreams
Boodle Am Shake
Don't Get Around Much Any More
Get Out Those Old Records
My Buddy
Cecilia
Won't You Play A Simple Melody
I Ain't Got Nobody
Coney Island Washboard

Five Foot Two/Please Don't Talk About Me
Sweet Sue
Ukulele Lady
Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian
My Ukulele Helps Me Beat The Blues
My Blue Heaven
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Lindberg Hop
I'm Satisfied With My Gal
If I Had You
Singing In The Bathtub
Living In The Country
Ain't Misbehaving
See You In My Dreams
Boodle Am Shake
Don't Get Around Much Any More
Get Out Those Old Records
My Buddy
Cecilia
Won't You Play A Simple Melody
I Ain't Got Nobody
Coney Island Washboard

Nice selection Jim, I would add I'll See You In My Dreams.

Top Bottom