Cross rock case question

RafterGirl

Reaction score
In October/November I am flying from SLC to Tampa for TBUG and a family visit. I'm taking my Blackbird Clara. I will be carrying it on the plane, flying Delta. It has a very nice Gator padded case that I'd prefer to carry it in. The Gator is well padded, has nice backpack straps, and a large front pocket. I flew from SLC to LA last summer for the LA Uke festival with my ukulele in a Gator padded case. I had no issues with it in the overhead. Due to a leg disability, I pre-board, so I do have a better choice of where to put it in the overhead.

However....this will be a much longer trip, with plane changes, etc. Plus, last year it was an Islander ukulele, and not a Blackbird Clara. I'm exploring hard case option that can be used backpack style. The Crossrock CRA 400 zippered molded ABS case has 3 D-rings for backpack straps. Anyone have experience with a Clara in this particular case. The measurements on Amazon look like it will work, but wondering if anyone has used this case?

Thanks my ukulele ohana.

In October/November I am flying from SLC to Tampa for TBUG and a family visit. I'm taking my Blackbird Clara. I will be carrying it on the plane, flying Delta. It has a very nice Gator padded case that I'd prefer to carry it in. The Gator is well padded, has nice backpack straps, and a large front pocket. I flew from SLC to LA last summer for the LA Uke festival with my ukulele in a Gator padded case. I had no issues with it in the overhead. Due to a leg disability, I pre-board, so I do have a better choice of where to put it in the overhead.

However....this will be a much longer trip, with plane changes, etc. Plus, last year it was an Islander ukulele, and not a Blackbird Clara. I'm exploring hard case option that can be used backpack style. The Crossrock CRA 400 zippered molded ABS case has 3 D-rings for backpack straps. Anyone have experience with a Clara in this particular case. The measurements on Amazon look like it will work, but wondering if anyone has used this case?

Thanks my ukulele ohana.

I apologize for not replying to your "size" inquiry, but as a recent purchaser of a Crossrock CRA800 ABS Hard-Shell Case I wanted to make you aware of another consideration. My Crossrock stinks!! It came sealed in a plastic bag (within box) and from the moment I opened it I was choking on a strong petroleum-like odor. I let it "air out" in the garage for two weeks; closed it and loaded it with those absorbent gel/silica packs for another 2 weeks; sprayed Febreeze Neutral lightly and left in in the basement with a dehumidifier for two MORE weeks! It was intended for my solid wood Romero Tenor, but until the odor is gone (diminished, but still not yet) it's going unused. I don't want the wood absorbing any of the smell. My future purchases will be from a local music store where I can inspect it on sight/smell !

Last edited:
I have 2 crossrock hard cases that I ordered from Amazon. The latches are not very good (not sure if these were seconds) so I put a Velcro strap around the neck when I travel. Personally, I am thinking that I would rather travel with a padded case in the future because of the banging around factor. I am thinking of a Fusion bag.

Last edited:
You should have no problems with gator HSC for a trip like that. I have traveled much longer trips with both my Pono tenors. They are in OhAu cases from HMS I have also done longer trips with my Tiny Tenor ant it’s HSC is foam type and takes up much more space.

Honestly, travel with what you have. You will be fine.

I’ve heard of the off gassing on Chinese cases. I personally like the zippered Crossrock case although have no experience with actually using it.

Good luck. I’ve never had an issue with traveling with tenor on any airline. I destine a step and even if they make me check, I’m not worrried. I would use the valet service if that was the case which is what they do for carry on if it gets crowded on the plane. Saying that, I’ve NEVER been forced to check a ukulele.

I guess I was lucky. I bought a Crossrock case from Amazon, and it didn't have any odor, and the latches were fine.
Maybe I got one from an earlier batch that didn't have the problems?

My Crossrock had a slight "new car smell" out the gate but not noticeable unless I stuck my nose in the case and against the fabric. A year or so out it simply smells like whatever I keep in it, in this case a Kremona ukulele. Of course I don't have a doggie nose like some so your mileage may vary. I like the zippered molded ABS case style better than latches and it's a level above most gig bag protection. It does look a little too much like a student violin case so you might be mistaken for someone you're not...

My Crossrock had a slight "new car smell" out the gate but not noticeable unless I stuck my nose in the case and against the fabric. A year or so out it simply smells like whatever I keep in it, in this case a Kremona ukulele. Of course I don't have a doggie nose like some so your mileage may vary. I like the zippered molded ABS case style better than latches and it's a level above most gig bag protection. It does look a little too much like a student violin case so you might be mistaken for someone you're not...

The zippered ABS is the one I’m thinking about. I think my Gator gig bag has plenty of padding, but it’s the crush protection that I’m concerned about. My Clara fits in both of my other standard shaped hard cases, so hopefully it would fit the Crossrock.

I have 2 crossrock hard cases that I ordered from Amazon. The latches are not very good (not sure if these were seconds) so I put a Velcro strap around the neck when I travel. Personally, I am thinking that I would rather travel with a padded case in the future because of the banging around factor. I am thinking of a Fusion bag.

Amazon is being sued by some manufacturers for co-mingling inventory so that some "sold by amazon" items were actually fakes of poor quality. You should return the item, as it probably isn't from Crossrock.

I’d never buy a case made of ABS. Especially for an instrument of value, I’d punt extra $ for fibreglass ( if weight is an issue) or an arch topped wooden one.

Last edited:
RG, it is unclear from your original post whether the straps are needed for the flights or for the portion between flights. Would it work if you used one of your hard cases that fit the Clara and pack the gig bag with the straps, switching them for when they are best needed. This would mean more luggage space, but you could fill the empty case with clothing and other items.

I’d never buy a case made of ABS. Especially for an instrument of value, I’d punt extra $ for fibreglass ( if weight is an issue) or an arch topped wooden one.

The Clara is valuable but isn't it supposed to be rugged and extremely difficult to damage? Combined with the abs case, how could there be a problem. I'm still confused why something that is supposed to be so rugged needs more than a gig bag? Or is the point of a Clara no humidification or worry about temp extremes necessary? I thought that, except for extreme heat, it was akin to the Outdoor.

RG, it is unclear from your original post whether the straps are needed for the flights or for the portion between flights. Would it work if you used one of your hard cases that fit the Clara and pack the gig bag with the straps, switching them for when they are best needed. This would mean more luggage space, but you could fill the empty case with clothing and other items.

Both. I like having the option to carry it backpack style to keep my hands free, both in the airports & at the uke festival. I'm traveling as light as possible, with just the uke and a purse to carry on the plane, and one 24 X 16ish checked bag. 2 1/2 days at the uke festival and 3 1/2 days with family. Casual, with no fancy activities planned.

The Clara is valuable but isn't it supposed to be rugged and extremely difficult to damage? Combined with the abs case, how could there be a problem. I'm still confused why something that is supposed to be so rugged needs more than a gig bag? Or is the point of a Clara no humidification or worry about temp extremes necessary? I thought that, except for extreme heat, it was akin to the Outdoor.

Yes, the Clara is my travel/outdoor uke, and it should be plenty sturdy if I protect it properly. I'm good with it in the padded Gator gig bag when it's inside my kayak (in a dry bag), or in a dry box on my raft. But the overhead in a plane kind of worries me. As I posted in another thread about flying with a uke, the massive (yet regulation) carry-on luggage that I saw rolling down the isle of the airplane last summer was crazy. I was all set to go with just the Gator bag until I read that thread. The zippered ABS Crossrock seems like a little step up in protection, with the option of the backpack straps.

Both. I like having the option to carry it backpack style to keep my hands free, both in the airports & at the uke festival. I'm traveling as light as possible, with just the uke and a purse to carry on the plane, and one 24 X 16ish checked bag. 2 1/2 days at the uke festival and 3 1/2 days with family. Casual, with no fancy activities planned.

Yes, the Clara is my travel/outdoor uke, and it should be plenty sturdy if I protect it properly. I'm good with it in the padded Gator gig bag when it's inside my kayak (in a dry bag), or in a dry box on my raft. But the overhead in a plane kind of worries me. As I posted in another thread about flying with a uke, the massive (yet regulation) carry-on luggage that I saw rolling down the isle of the airplane last summer was crazy. I was all set to go with just the Gator bag until I read that thread. The zippered ABS Crossrock seems like a little step up in protection, with the option of the backpack straps.

I have the CrossRock ABS zipper case and it' sturdy enough for jostling in the overhead. Super cool looking and easy to locate amongst other cases.

(And maybe OK hand checked in luggage compartment, but I'd never let a musical instrument go though the carousel tumbler. A Clara is small enough and pricey enough to carry.)

I also have a less sturdy molded zipper case that I'd put On Top my suitcase in the overhead bin, or under seat with plenty space for feet.

The Gator bag + Clara would be fine under seat.

For under seat consider using a clear plastic bag to keep it clean for backpacking.

Cheers.

I have that exact Crossrock case. I put my Kala concert in it and flew to Uganda and back a few years ago, including several plane changes. It worked extremely well - in the overhead bin, riding around Uganda on a bus, and a bunch of other crazy African adventures. The ukulele and case came through it all excellently.

It's not like it was an expensive Kamaka or something, but that particular Kala has a solid top, mahogany back and sides, and sounds amazing. I would have been pretty disappointed if something had happened to it, but the Crossrock case did it's job well. No worries!

Thanks casualmusic and Charley. Good to hear firsthand experiences with the case and travel stories. I might just give it a try with fingers crossed that the Clara fits the case. amazon is easy for returns if it doesn't easier. Even easier now that you can drop off the item at Whole Foods and they pack it up and send it back for you.

I seem to recall that the Amazon price varied a lot depending on colour?

Yes you need a hardshell case for overhead use. Lots of travelers fling their heavy roller bag into the overhead and then push it hard to make it fit. Not gig bag safe...

I have two Crossrock textured ABS cases and one smooth one. All with latches. Not with zippers. They are pretty rugged cases. I'd trust my tenors in any of these.

One of the textured cases I bought from Amazon was absolutely reeking of glue, foam and material. It took a year for the smell to totally go away. I could not have it in an indoor room without it triggering my asthma. (Not a full-on attack, but, I'd start wheezing.)

The other textured case has a slight odor to it but quickly went away. The smooth one was fine from the dealer. No odor at all. It came with a used Kanile'a K1-T I bought.

I also have a Kala textured hard case that had no odor to it. It seems to be slightly better quality than the Crossrock.

You shouldn't have any trouble with the Clara absorbing the odor. Since it is carbon fiber. But you might not want to share a hotel room with it if it's newly made.

Top Bottom