Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2020

I’m with Baz another fender Uke meh....... they may be nice? Yes, some people will buy! What is missing in discussion - laminate. I assume so. Also, tuners, look like Kluson , stamped tuners. Ok , they work. But most important, how do they sound!!! I guess I will have to wait util July to see if local music store has a few and how they sound. Nothing new here but good luck.

My issue with the Fenders is strangely not how they look ( though I think they are hideous), but more to do with the laziness.

Fender have yet, in my experience, to put out anything other than mediocre ukuleles that fall flat. They are a huge brand with huge development money. They have a chance to either put out

1. A genuinely decent semi pro solid uke
Or
2. A genuine contender to beat Risa on the solid body steel strung electrics.

They have the means to do both, certainly the latter. Instead they chose cheap laminates that look like guitars.

Perhaps they are just trying to appeal to their guitar customers. Perhaps. Certainly not appealing to ukulele fans. At least not this one.

Hey Luke, are you going to visit the NAMM show this year?
Hi Rainer:

I did go to NAMM but I didn't focus on the ukulele related booths too much because I wanted to see the other instrument exhibitors as well. Since I only had 1 day available, I had to move quickly. You really need 2 to 3 days to see, enjoy, and absorb the entire exhibition.

Luke

A closer look at the Lava U ukulele (ukes starting at 2:47). Video is in German, what he is saying is that the uke models can be had with the same electric system as their guitars with built-in effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O7MqdN-H7U

This caught my eye at the NAMM show. Very classy looking and the prices are surprisingly low for a carbon fiber instrument. They start at $399. I didn't play them so I don't know how they sound.

Can't say I've stayed up to date on uke releases this year... *Yawn*

But I'd like to commend Line 6 and their HX Stomp, which won an award this year. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best compact multi-effects around. If your pickup will work with a 1M ohm input impedance, it's an all-in-one WITH impulse responses. Not cheap, but also no more expensive than a standard pedalboard setup and will likely take you further. I'm working on a review.

Also, speaking of IRs, can't believe no one has mentioned the LR Baggs Soundscape pedal. It's kinda oversized for what it does (do you really need a "next" footswitch?), but it will make the impulse response technology more accessible than ever for non-techies.

I really like those new exotic wood Kalas. Might need one.

My issue with the Fenders is strangely not how they look ( though I think they are hideous), but more to do with the laziness.

Fender have yet, in my experience, to put out anything other than mediocre ukuleles that fall flat. They are a huge brand with huge development money. They have a chance to either put out

1. A genuinely decent semi pro solid uke
Or
2. A genuine contender to beat Risa on the solid body steel strung electrics.

They have the means to do both, certainly the latter. Instead they chose cheap laminates that look like guitars.

Perhaps they are just trying to appeal to their guitar customers. Perhaps. Certainly not appealing to ukulele fans. At least not this one.
I played one today for the first time. You are spot on. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy I thought it was a piece of junk. He's a very accomplished guitarist, banjo and mandolin as well. I would have thought he'd buy something better.

This caught my eye at the NAMM show. Very classy looking and the prices are surprisingly low for a carbon fiber instrument. They start at $399. I didn't play them so I don't know how they sound.

Ok. I saw this on the main floor and this totally caught my eye also. I think Uke Republic will be selling them. They are carbon fiber and pretty light. Sounded ok (from what I could hear in the loud NAMM show floor). The interesting thing is that they have on board amplification and a speaker in the sound hole so no need to plug into an amp. It sounded pretty good. Also, a lot of fun colors and that case was something else.

IMG_2298.jpgIMG_2299.jpgIMG_2300.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I went back to NAMM today. and wandered around beyond the uke floor. I saw a few interesting additional observations in case any one is interested:

1. Some German company was making ukulele tuners that look like Pegheds, but are not. They look like vintage pegs and they thought they would cost around $100 for a set.
2. Ratio Tuners Tune-a-lele are sending a lot of tuners to Kala and are selling them to the public. I think the cost is $29.95. They are also making them in colors. I saw a gold plated one and an all white one. The white one is pictured below.
3. Cling-on makes a $20 tuner, but they also have a detachable sound-board amp. You put some putty on a magnet and insert it into your sound hole and hold it against the sound board. The plug in with a wire attached sticks to the magnet on top of the sound board and plugs in to an amp. Sounds pretty good without having to drill holes. The reps said that you could remove the putty and magnet inside the uke if you wanted so it is not permanent.

IMG_2305.jpgIMG_2306.jpgIMG_2311.jpg

This is Feng E playing the Lava ukulele and guitar on one of his videos. Possibly a bit too processed to work out the sound quality but souinds amazing in this.

I also saw a carbon fiber ukulele with led lights in the fretboard that could be programmed to light up - presumably to help you remember chords and placement.

It looks like Flight is trying to also capture some of the higher-end market.

The HUG pineapple ukulele is really interesting. The soundboard is made of Mango wood and the back and sides are acacia. It is hand carved in the back and the top is matched. It literally looks like someone took a real pineapple and cut it perfectly in half. There are only 12 of those in existence and the company is based out of the big island. Sounds pretty good also.

IMG_2314.jpgIMG_2315.jpgIMG_2316.jpgIMG_2317.jpgIMG_2318.jpg

Curious if the Lava U are carbon fibre like the Enya Nova U or more like the KLOS? I suspect the former. Sound sample was cool. Feng E is very accomplished. Great video and nice song. Also, are the Lava U, concert scale. It looked that way one size. So that also,makes me think it’s a carbon fibre/ polycarbonate Uke. If anyone can clarify.

Back to Fender, agreed BAZ, all this resources. And for electronics and DIFFERENT, Lava U is way cooler.

Thanks all for reporting and pics. Still no HMS video that I can find. Curious if they did one this year.

Also, no UU video coverage?

Regarding Graphtech and ratio tuners, it appears Kala has fully endorsed these tuners as a lot of their new ukuleles show at the show have them stock. I always thought that was a natural fit and makes me wonder, it Graphtech had a bad batch of tuners where plastic mix was slightly off and post were breaking. I’m not sure I like white colour and reserve judgement until seeing in person. Good for Graphtech is they have these figured out. At the price, I’d go ahead and try a set despite the noted issues.

I’m still of the notion, I’d want Gotoh UPT on a Elite Kala but certainly would buy them on the import lines.

Wondering aloud , if Graphtech reps , had anything to say about any of this or a second, metal version?

Again, thanks to all for comments.

Regarding Graphtech and ratio tuners, it appears Kala has fully endorsed these tuners as a lot of their new ukuleles show at the show have them stock. I always thought that was a natural fit and makes me wonder, it Graphtech had a bad batch of tuners where plastic mix was slightly off and post were breaking. I’m not sure I like white colour and reserve judgement until seeing in person. Good for Graphtech is they have these figured out. At the price, I’d go ahead and try a set despite the noted issues.

I’m still of the notion, I’d want Gotoh UPT on a Elite Kala but certainly would buy them on the import lines.

Wondering aloud , if Graphtech reps , had anything to say about any of this or a second, metal version?

Again, thanks to all for comments.

I have then on my LoPrinzi soprano and I really like them - no issues at all.

At the price, I’d go ahead and try a set despite the noted issues.
My issue with just trying out the Graphtechs ( I have tried them, but on somebody else's uke - I mean fitting them to my own) is that they require screw holes drilling. If they failed I'm left with screw holes that will be on show.

Top Bottom