Ratios on a Martin

Jerryc41

Reaction score
A friend has a Martin OX Bamboo, and would like geared tuners. Have any of you put Ratio tuners on a Martin? The reason I ask is the rather long length of the posts on the Ratios, and the thin headstock of the Martin. Yes, Gotoh tuners would be better, but at more than twice the price.

A friend has a Martin OX Bamboo, and would like geared tuners. Have any of you put Ratio tuners on a Martin? The reason I ask is the rather long length of the posts on the Ratios, and the thin headstock of the Martin. Yes, Gotoh tuners would be better, but at more than twice the price.

Might be ok 'cause the OXK has a thicker headstock than the S1. For example the S1 works with Gotoh UPT tuners while the OXK needs the longer UPTL tuners.

I would like to find a planetary tuner that would fit the Pre WWII Martin Sopranos. The tuners from that era have problems of slippage or stiff turning when adjusted for slippage. The thickness of Martin heads is 10.5 or so mm. Gotahs won't work at that thickness. Replacing wooden peg with Pegheads works well, But they don't have a front collar to cover up the marks that are left on the heads of newer ones.

I would like to find a planetary tuner that would fit the Pre WWII Martin Sopranos. The tuners from that era have problems of slippage or stiff turning when adjusted for slippage. The thickness of Martin heads is 10.5 or so mm. Gotahs won't work at that thickness. Replacing wooden peg with Pegheads works well, But they don't have a front collar to cover up the marks that are left on the heads of newer ones.

Dave, why wont UPTs work on a 10.5mm vintage Martin headstock? The HMS website says they work on 10-12mm headstocks. I've had on 2 vintage Martin sops, and they were fine.

I cringed at the title as you'd be drilling screw holes into the headstock, but I could see them looking okay on an OX bamboo. Just not sure about the material. Definitely don't do it without pilot holes (if that's not already painfully obvious).

I cringed at the title as you'd be drilling screw holes into the headstock, but I could see them looking okay on an OX bamboo. Just not sure about the material. Definitely don't do it without pilot holes (if that's not already painfully obvious).

One caveat, the OXK head stock wood is softer than it looks.

Dave, why wont UPTs work on a 10.5mm vintage Martin headstock? The HMS website says they work on 10-12mm headstocks. I've had on 2 vintage Martin sops, and they were fine.
Thanks I thought that the GraphTech had too long of a post. I'll try them.

Thanks I thought that the GraphTech had too long of a post. I'll try them.

Dave, yes, the Graphtech Ratio tuners (they call them Tune-a-Lele http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/...-string-nickel-ivoroid-9mm-tuners-y4h2m-5979b ) do indeed have long posts, They work fine, but some may find the look of the long posts objectionable. On the other hand, Gotoh UPT tuners have shorter posts, and look great and work very well. Of course, the Gotohs cost almost 3x more. Pic of a Ratio below, compared to a standard Gotoh 9B or 9W.

36.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, yes, the Graphtech Ratio tuners (they call them Tune-a-Lele http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/...-string-nickel-ivoroid-9mm-tuners-y4h2m-5979b ) do indeed have long posts, They work fine, but some may find the look of the long posts objectionable. On the other hand, Gotoh UPT tuners have shorter posts, and look great and work very well. Of course, the Gotohs cost almost 3x more. Picolf a ratio. com[patred to a standard Gotoh 9B or 9W below.

View attachment 122298

That's a great comparison photo John. Especially if someone is avoiding "ears" on their uke, they're pretty concerned with aesthetics and a detail like this is worth pointing out. UPTs are a bit chunky on the back, Pegheads are long at the back, and these have long posts. Which details are you good with? The alternative is to get used to friction tuners. :)

Dave, yes, the Graphtech Ratio tuners (they call them Tune-a-Lele http://www.pohakuukulele.com/store/...-string-nickel-ivoroid-9mm-tuners-y4h2m-5979b ) do indeed have long posts, They work fine, but some may find the look of the long posts objectionable. On the other hand, Gotoh UPT tuners have shorter posts, and look great and work very well. Of course, the Gotohs cost almost 3x more. Picolf a ratio. com[patred to a standard Gotoh 9B or 9W below.

View attachment 122298

Another consideration with the longer posts is the possibly reduced angle from the nut to the tuner. It would be nice if they could offer them in both long and short posts for thick and thin headstocks.

May I suggest that anyone who wants shorter spools on the Ratio Tune-a-Leles, contact Graph Tech and ask them to do it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

May I suggest that anyone who wants shorter spools on the Ratio Tune-a-Leles, contact Graph Tech and ask them to do it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I bet that would raise the price to near Gotoh levels. That's something I'd almost try myself - cut the post and drill another hole. I said almost. : )

Putting a spacer between the Ratio and the head stock would act to lower the post. If the spacer were shaped to match the base of the Ratio , it would be nearly invisible.

Here is a pic of Ratio tuning machines on my Little Loprinzi Spanish Cypress/Sitka custom soprano. It originally came with Grover friction tuners. Mike McQueen of Uke Republic changed them out to Retros. I love the looks of them, and so far, they work great.

4F06BB27-0B64-4878-993E-60B0C68ABF3E.jpg

Tom

Here is a pic of Ratio tuning machines on my Little Loprinzi Spanish Cypress/Sitka custom soprano. It originally came with Grover friction tuners. Mike McQueen of Uke Republic changed them out to Retros. I love the looks of them, and so far, they work great.

View attachment 122326

Tom

Looks great...that stripe doesn't hurt either!

Sorry, I know this is an old thread. Just wanted to say that I've seen a few examples of UPT's installed on old Martins. Here's one example:

Style-0_UPTs_#4.jpg

Top Bottom