New uke check list

clear

Reaction score
Hi,

I think a new ukulele checklist can be helpful; ; kind of like the
beginner player checklist

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?145579-The-ukulele-beginner-s-check-list

This list contains the items to check off when receiving a new ukulele.
During the initial days when you make a decision whether to keep it or
send it back.

This video will be public domain, like the beginner player checklist. It'll
be broken up into sections for easy future updates.

Below is the checklist I go thru with a new ukulele.

1. Delivery: match serial numbers/model; received contents,
shipping damage (check packaging); freshness (display model/
handling wear, dustiness, smell).

2. Fit and finish: strings attachment, sharp frets, concaved top/back,
wood/joint/binding dings/splinters/cracks, bridge attachment, internal
damage, uneven finish/discoloration

3. construction: twisted neck/neck relief, symmetry

4. Frets: check levelness, action height, nut/saddle adjustments,
filing cleanliness.

5. sound check: intonation check, buzzing, string stretch/settling in.

Suggestions are welcome.

String alignment over fretboard

Thanks for the string alignment and tuners suggestions. I'll include them.

This is what The Ukulele Site checks for. If you think your dealer isn't as careful, you should check these things yourself.

That's a very good video and very informative too, but it's too detailed than what I have in mind. For example, as a user of the ukulele, I only want to check the action and don't care how it was adjusted; same with frets, I want them level but don't care how it was done. I'm hoping to have a more concise checklist procedure.

I check all new ukuleles I receive, even ones from HMS. It's not that I think a dealer is careless; I check them to decide whether I want to keep them or not.

I look forward to seeing your video.

I have been buying ukuleles on Craig's List, Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp. It would be very helpful to have advice and guidance from experienced ukulele buyers.

Perhaps you can show examples of problems - like what a warped neck on a ukulele looks like, how to spot a bridge lifting up - rather than just perfect examples of ukulele.

I've decided to make 2 videos: a casual look-over and a more detailed check based on measurements. I think many people who buy face-to-face can't do detailed measurements on the instrument so the casual look-over check can help.

These are the topics covered:

Look:
- Model, Serial number
- Signs of trauma
- Strings alignment
- Neck relief

Feel:
- Cracks
- Finish evenness
- Sharp frets
- Bridge attachment
- Tuner play

Listen:
- Tuners working
- Intonation
- Buzzing

Here's the video of casual look-over; it be done in less than 10 minutes. Please let me know your comments.

I plan to make the detailed check video when I get my next new uke; there's no point in re-measuring my existing ukes.

Last edited:
...Perhaps you can show examples of problems - like what a warped neck on a ukulele looks like, how to spot a bridge lifting up - rather than just perfect examples of ukulele.

Examples of problems can take many forms, e.g. a warped neck can twist in many ways, so showing an example may not be very useful since another example might look different. If you google the problems, you can see many examples, so it would be difficult to cover all cases.

To make the video concise, I outline what is correct. Therefore, any deviation from correct is not correct. The judgement of what is acceptable vs unacceptable would be up to the individual based on his/her tolerance deviation level.

I thought that was a nice video, I enjoyed it very much. A couple of comments on some points:

- Neck relief
I believe a tiny amount of forward bend on the neck is acceptable, particularly on larger scale ukes where there's more tension on the strings. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can concur if this is true or not but I think that's what I've heard. If the bend is the other way around and it's causing buzzing on the strings then the uke is basically defective.

- Finish evenness
I've seen a small amount of unevenness on the finish even on some high-end ukes, particularly if it's an open pore finish. Personally, I don't think this alone is enough to dismiss a uke although that's more of a subjective issue.

- Tuner play / Tuners working
It would be beneficial to quickly go through the different types of tuners that a uke can have. Lots of people have issues with friction tuners since they can be tricky to work with especially if they're low quality. Also, some lower quality geared tuners can feel somewhat loose but still hold tuning perfectly fine.

If you're going to go through these same topics in the more detailed video I think it would be beneficial to take these points into consideration. Thanks again for the video. :)

I thought that was a nice video, I enjoyed it very much. A couple of comments on some points:

- Neck relief
I believe a tiny amount of forward bend on the neck is acceptable, particularly on larger scale ukes where there's more tension on the strings. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can concur if this is true or not but I think that's what I've heard. If the bend is the other way around and it's causing buzzing on the strings then the uke is basically defective.

- Finish evenness
I've seen a small amount of unevenness on the finish even on some high-end ukes, particularly if it's an open pore finish. Personally, I don't think this alone is enough to dismiss a uke although that's more of a subjective issue.

- Tuner play / Tuners working
It would be beneficial to quickly go through the different types of tuners that a uke can have. Lots of people have issues with friction tuners since they can be tricky to work with especially if they're low quality. Also, some lower quality geared tuners can feel somewhat loose but still hold tuning perfectly fine.

If you're going to go through these same topics in the more detailed video I think it would be beneficial to take these points into consideration. Thanks again for the video. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll change the neck relief comment based on your feedback. I agree with you that some positive neck relief sometimes may be necessary for the larger sizes.

When I mentioned that the finish should be even, it doesn't mean that I want to reject ukuleles with uneven finishes. I just wanted to say what the perfect finish should feel like.

"loose" vs "play": if "loose" means a higher gear ratio (i.e. post moves slowly) vs "play" meaning lack of tolerance where gears don't fit well (i.e. turning the turner doesn't move anything), then "loose" is OK. In the video, I focused on not wanting any play in the tuners. I can try to clarify that.

I'll record another video.

NUT
Seated properly in slot & flat on bottom and vertically
If radiused fretboard Nut and Saddle are also radiused (Nut slot depth may be different depths to match radius curve)
If you had it strung Low-G, the G string is seated properly in the slot and not just placed into a High-g slot

If you have a pickup on it, do a sound check to make sure all the strings sound of equal strength. Play it to make sure everything works.
Active pickup controls work without noise. The jack is tight and holds the cord. The jack is firmly attached and doesn't move. Especially if you attach a strap to it.

Check intonation

uke republic lists 32 points on their QC/setup page, many of those would apply as well

@Kenn2018, ah, good points on the nut, thanks ; would a low G put into a high-G nut slot produce buzz on the open string? I'll also mention the pickup and jack.

@badhabits, thanks for the info. Sometimes I wonder, like all setup places, Uke republic mentions "Intonation check" but doesn't give the range of acceptable errors... hmm.

@Kenn2018, ah, good points on the nut, thanks ; would a low G put into a high-G nut slot produce buzz on the open string? I'll also mention the pickup and jack.

@badhabits, thanks for the info. Sometimes I wonder, like all setup places, Uke republic mentions "Intonation check" but doesn't give the range of acceptable errors... hmm.

Depends upon the Low-G string. Wound strings often fit the High-g slot without enlarging. Plain Low-G is usually thicker and requires enlargement. I have purchased two used tenors that arrived with Low-G Fluorocarbon strings that were too thick for the slot. The string was laying about 1/3 into the slot. Never had that problem with a brand new uke. I did once receive a tenor that I asked for a plain Low-G and got a wound Low-G.

Sometimes, the second version isn't as good as the first!

This version is way too long due to poor planning:
- using an untuned ukulele and making it worse by twisting the tuning knobs around as demo
- too much unnecessary talk on neck relief
- too much unnecessary talk on intonation

The only good part is that I've incorporated your feedbacks (well, I missed some because I forgot).

After doing the video, I realized that a 3rd version is needed. I'm hoping to keep the entire video under 10 mins.

Look

Feel

Listen

Everything

oh, I noticed I'm wearing the same shirt as the first video. Interesting.

Top Bottom