Ohana SK-35S

40mm

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Just picked up an Ohana SK-35S at my local music shop. This was an impulse stop and purchase so I honestly didn't do my typical research. In my mind, since I'm a beginner and just mess around with ukuleles for fun and to relax, a laminate makes more sense to me because I don't want to worry AT ALL about "taking care of" or babying the instrument. I just want to pull it out when I have time and relax. I could've sworn that the sales guy told me the SK-35s is a laminate instrument, but when I got home and started looking it up, everything I can find says that it's solid mahogany construction. Can anyone verify one way or the other and please tell me if this ukulele is temperamental or will need special care and attention? Thanks!
Edit:I live in north Texas and don't plan on doing any traveling with this use outside of maybe taking it to a friends house or camping on occasion.

Last edited:
Yes, the SK35 is solid mahogany. I've had mine for at least twelve years and have bought a number of more expensive ukes in that time, but the Ohana still doesn't disappoint. I've never used a humidifier with mine, but I live in the British Isles where it varies from slightly humid to very humid. Dryness is not a problem, here! The only negative thing I would say, is that quality control on the Ohanas could be better. The back popped off mine (insufficient glue) but I was able to fix it myself. A friend of mine has one which sounds every bit as good as mine, but another one passed through my hands that sounded very dull indeed. I couldn't see anything wrong with it, it was just a duffer.

Hopefully, yours will be a good one, and it should give years of tuneful service.

John Colter

I owned an SK-35G and loved it (sold when I was downsizing my collection). You will need to humidify it. I didn’t one winter and a small crack developed between the sound hole and the fret board. Had to have it glued and cleated. It’s a fine instrument.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m sure it’s a great instrument but I was not looking for a hid that needs this type of care. I’m a bit annoyed because the sales guy told me directly that it was a laminate instrument. Oh well. Maybe he wasn’t sure about himself. I’m contemplating swapping it out for something else. Can anyone recommend a good laminate instrument under $200? How about the Ohana sk-14.

Last edited:
While those models are fine, to me a care-free and camping uke is one that is much less than 200. I'd look at flight Tus models or even kmise, or whatever that local music store stocks and allows you to exchange for.

Anyone have experience with the Ohana SK-10 or SK-14. Baz seemed to like the SK-14 for what it is. I agree with you that well under $200 is a good idea for a care free uke. Will the 12 vs 15 frets be a hindrance for someone who is just learning?
While those models are fine, to me a care-free and camping uke is one that is much less than 200. I'd look at flight Tus models or even kmise, or whatever that local music store stocks and allows you to exchange for.

Hey folks,
Just picked up an Ohana SK-35S at my local music shop. This was an impulse stop and purchase so I honestly didn't do my typical research. In my mind, since I'm a beginner and just mess around with ukuleles for fun and to relax, a laminate makes more sense to me because I don't want to worry AT ALL about "taking care of" or babying the instrument. I just want to pull it out when I have time and relax. I could've sworn that the sales guy told me the SK-35s is a laminate instrument, but when I got home and started looking it up, everything I can find says that it's solid mahogany construction. Can anyone verify one way or the other and please tell me if this ukulele is temperamental or will need special care and attention? Thanks!
Edit:I live in north Texas and don't plan on doing any traveling with this use outside of maybe taking it to a friends house or camping on occasion.

Like another respondent I too have an Ohana CK35. I

Hey folks,

Like another respondent I too have an Ohana CK35. I’m pleased with mine now, it took a bit of time to start to open up and for a while I thought that I’d made a mistake. The SK35 is liked and if you put Martin M600’s on it it will sing even more nicely - as you tube’s headless ukulele player advises, and he knows what he’s doing. Some solid Ukes are built more lightly than others, I wouldn’t regard my CK35 as obviously fragile (more the reverse of that) and doubt that the SK35 is different in that respect. Basically play what you have and enjoy what is a decent Uke, get a hard case and a humidifier, I don’t recall Texas as being a place that's really hard on Ukes so all might be well for years - play it into the ground.

If you look around and keep your eyes open then the SK10’s can sometimes be had for not that much at all. Baz Maz did a review of then a few years back, see: https://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/09/soprano-ukulele-shootout-ohana-sk-10-vs.html. You won’t be wasting your money but if you’re happy to spend more then to my brief chance to hear one the SK14’s sound quite nice, IIRC they have a slightly bigger body than the SK10 which might be a hindrance for a camp Uke ... if you can afford it then I’d go for the SK14 ahead of the SK10, but that’s just me. The SK10’s come in colours as well as plain, it’s a case of what do you prefer (painted or plain).

Mum demonstrates an SK10: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iIFkb6jgGig
Baz demonstrates an SK14: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DsTIjM01vmM
The headless Ukulele Player, SK35: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPkX0f-GEzI
Look out his other videos too ... I’d have an SK35 for myself, well if a second hand one came my way for sensible money.

Ahead of the standard shape model I’d be tempted by the Pineapple version of the the SK10, the PK10.

Whatever you buy make sure that it gets well set-up or learn to do it yourself.

Last edited:
the 10 models come in a starter pack, with bag, tuner, other goodies. as far as number of frets, a true beginner will not miss them, won't be playing up that high
the funny thing is I'm still waiting on my newer CK-35 to open up, and have started looking at other options... glad to know that some more patience is required

the 10 models come in a starter pack, with bag, tuner, other goodies. as far as number of frets, a true beginner will not miss them, won't be playing up that high
the funny thing is I'm still waiting on my newer CK-35 to open up, and have started looking at other options... glad to know that some more patience is required

I replaced the nut and the saddle on my CK35 with what I know to be bone and know to be well fitted. I put Martin M600’s on it and played it for an hour every day for months, it’s come good and I’d be loathed to part with it now - not my loudest Uke but it’s my best sounding and more than fine for my purposes. Ohana makes (badges?) some nice instruments and sometimes they are offered at quite affordable prices, one probably gets more than one pays for but some folk say that they have experienced variable quality. Mine has what might be a few blemishes and I had set-up work to do too, but solid wood Ukes can be a lot more expensive than I paid for mine ... I’m happy enough and would repeat the purchase.

Last edited:
All great info everyone, very much appreciated. I've been looking at videos on proper uke setups to get the best out of the instrument. I can all but guarantee the Ohana SK-35 I purchased hasn't had any setup done to it. Wonder what the difference between a properly setup Sk-14 vs a not setup SK-35s is. What I mean is, wonder if I have a better experience with say a properly setup SK-14 from Mim than I would with a "better" all wood uke that hasn't had any setup done.

Last edited:
I don't think that question can be answered, just depends on how "bad" it is from the factory and/or how mismatched it is from your needs/preferences. Supposedly ohanas get a good qc check, whatever that entails. You might also look at the "good laminates" thread... Just played son's kmise soprano and am amazed at the sound...I want to know how an sk-10 or 14 compares to it. For $40 that could be the ultimate care-free/camping uke.

Yes I read through the good laminate thread as well. I'm hitting the point of over analyzing for sure! Mainly because where I live we've been hit by a freak storm and power outages and snow have semi-shut things down. This hasn't allowed me to get back to the shop and look for a laminate replacement of this Ohana. Being a beginner I'm sure I can save $100 and still have something that suits me just fine. My novice ears may even like how it sounds BETTER than an all solid wood uke! In the grand scheme I'm looking to get it all settled and just focus on learning and playing. Have the best time playing ukulele with my daughter. :eek:
I don't think that question can be answered, just depends on how "bad" it is from the factory and/or how mismatched it is from your needs/preferences. Supposedly ohanas get a good qc check, whatever that entails. You might also look at the "good laminates" thread... Just played son's kmise soprano and am amazed at the sound...I want to know how an sk-10 or 14 compares to it. For $40 that could be the ultimate care-free/camping uke.

Being a beginner I'm sure I can save $100 and still have something that suits me just fine. My novice ears may even like how it sounds BETTER than an all solid wood uke! In the grand scheme I'm looking to get it all settled and just focus on learning and playing. Have the best time playing ukulele with my daughter. :eek:
Even with all the years I noodled with my guitars, my ears were always better than my playing ability :biglaugh: . Have fun with your daughter! It's a wonderful thing to be able to share the joy of making music.

Just some detail shots of the Ohana I'm needing to return or exchange. Two things that I somehow missed when in the store. The back room where the ukes were wasn't super well lit but I can't believe I didn't see these spots.

thumbnail.jpgthumbnailaa.jpg

Last edited:
A set up SK-14 from Mim would be a good choice. It wouldn't sound better than the SK-35 without setup, but it would probably be nicer to play and the intonation might be better - so I suppose it could sound better in that respect. Any Ohanas from SK-20 and up potentially have solid tops to all solid construction, from what I recall.

My novice ears may even like how it sounds BETTER than an all solid wood uke! In the grand scheme I'm looking to get it all settled and just focus on learning and playing. Have the best time playing ukulele with my daughter. :eek:

Your novice ears are valid. I think it’s useful to regard how ukuleles sound as different rather than better or worse. Though some sound better or worse to me. I’ve heard laminates that I like a lot. Like that Kmise.

Top Bottom