Priorities!

I believe most people are not "hoarding", but preparing. There are some bad apples and some who overbuy. But the recommendations is to prepare to have at least a 14 day supply, which is good advice since many or most of us have some exposure to the virus. My two children are teachers in Santa Clara County with the most cases in CA and believe that they likely have been exposed. They have stocked up, not hoarded, as their schools have closed for the next three weeks.

It would be wonderful if you are not required to hunker down. But beware the consequences of being unprepared and now having to have other people provide you with the necessities that you did not acquire. They would be putting themselves at risk to assist you due to your belief in not acquiring what is recommended should you be affected.

Hog wash! People could buy what they need and still leave some for others. I saw a guy in a pickup with the whole bed full of toilet paper — stacks of it. I hope he gets constipated!

“Nice” people can talk about “preparing”, but the store shelves are completely empty. Apparently some people really, really need to be prepared more than the rest of us.

I’ll bet when the stores get stocked up again, more people will line up down the block to get even more prepared. AND people are hoarding no matter how greedy it sounds. I hope when the “prepared” people are sitting back with plenty of good frozen food and meat and other stuff stacked in their freezers, they think of their fellow Americans just making do. Enjoy your toilet paper folks. :eek:ld:

Saw this quote today, which seemed appropriate:

"I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks

Definitely! That's been a proven technique for years. Give a panicky group something definite to focus on, and their panic declines. It seems that competing for toilet paper is the latest project. :D

Y'know, you are absolutely right! I was right there with kookoolele - I don't have a single canned vegetable or can of soup in the house, but I have the stuff to make soup, and both fresh and frozen food... So for me, canned stuff is the wrong direction. But yeah, I see people who eat nothing but fast food, and the canned stuff would be lower in sodium and fat for them.

So I may not have enough... the farmers market where I do most of my shopping was closed today...

-Kurt​

I generally don't eat canned food, but I wish I had a supply now. My freezer is pretty full - pizza, ice cream (the essentials :D). I'm going to buy sugar and flour today because I want to bake a cake or two.

I believe most people are not "hoarding", but preparing. There are some bad apples and some who overbuy. But the recommendations is to prepare to have at least a 14 day supply, which is good advice since many or most of us have some exposure to the virus. My two children are teachers in Santa Clara County with the most cases in CA and believe that they likely have been exposed. They have stocked up, not hoarded, as their schools have closed for the next three weeks.

It would be wonderful if you are not required to hunker down. But beware the consequences of being unprepared and now having to have other people provide you with the necessities that you did not acquire. They would be putting themselves at risk to assist you due to your belief in not acquiring what is recommended should you be affected.

It seems to me that there is a point beyond which being prepared becomes hoarding and that such folk care little for their fellow man and woman. One of my children overheard an interesting conversation between two young women and I suspect that there will be many others like these two. The gist of the conversation was that they literally had no spare money with which to buy additional items and that if and when the stores ran out of food then they and their families would literally starve.

The U.K. is perhaps not as wealthy as some other countries, so perhaps my point isn’t valid everywhere, but I’d be very surprised if the USA doesn’t have some pensioners and ordinary working folk who just don’t have spare funds with which to fill their pantries. Hoarding robs poor folks of the chance to buy items when they need and can (eventually) afford them.

Are folks required to hunker down and what does that mean in this case? So long as folk can in some way earn and we can keep the food chain going all might be well enough. Schools and public places closing doesn’t automatically produce a crisis, well not one that can’t be handled with some rational thought and care for your neighbours and fellow human.

Last edited:
The U.K. is perhaps not as wealthy as some other countries, so perhaps my point isn’t valid everywhere, but I’d be very surprised if the USA doesn’t have some pensioners and ordinary working folk who just don’t have spare funds with which to fill their pantries. Hoarding robs poor folks of the chance to buy items when they need and can (eventually) afford them.
That is a very true statement - problem is - the rich just don't care! :(

Finding food is getting more problematical for us now, as the rich have cleared the shelves, again!

Will we all have to go to food banks now.......if they even get their supplies(?!).

(Perhaps the Government will have to use their (armed forces) reserve supplies to feed us....

Last edited:
That is a very true statement - problem is - the rich just don't care! :(

Finding food is getting more problematical for us now, as the rich have cleared the shelves, again!

Will we all have to go to food banks now.......if they even get their supplies(?!).

Good point, USA pension er here. Working part time. Not bad off. But your point is well taken. Some people do live paycheck to paycheck and con not stock up, hoard or what ever. They really suffer. Some people really shine in situations like this, some people have their inner animal come out.

We were gonna go shoppin’, but everyone says there’s not much left to buy. The hoarders took it all. My wife grocery shopped Thursday, so we’re okay with food for a while. Also, some friends are bringin’ us a coupla rolls of TP just to help out. It’s good that some people still have the “help yer neighbor” spirit.

I guess we’re okay for a long week or so, but we’re almost outta wine! :eek:ld:

We should stock up on MRE. :D
I don't think that's a bad idea, but I'm someone who has two weeks of non perishable supplies assembled as part of my personal emergency kit, which includes MREs, sanitizer, water treatment, first aid, etc. There are actually lower sodium MREs available, but the salt content is lower relative to the regular ones and not actually low salt food. These supplies have to be rotated out and replaced periodically. It is definitely an investment of time and money to keep up a kit, though components can be assembled over time.

I have been tracking back to find out what an MRE is and whether I should have stocked up on them. Please enlighten me, someone!

MRE means Meals Ready To Eat. They replaced K-Rations ( army grub) in the military. I think they sell them now in outdoorsy stores. The meals are in plastic bags, and one adds water and shakes ‘em up. There’s other stuff to use or eat in the box too.

Not too bad if one is hungry. Bon Appetit! :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Top Bottom