Martin OXK

BTW - what is this book you are talking about? I would like to get a copy. Thanks, fellow Konter uke owner!!!
I hope the link works in Canada: https://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-Uku...onter+Ukulele&qid=1566601795&s=gateway&sr=8-1

As for the sound between that and the 5K, there were only 4 ukuleles of Martin's on display, no one came to talk to me about them, and I just played them a while. The 5K looked beautiful, but just didn't sound alive. The Konter is finished very simply...as it already has all the signatures on it already...and just resonated, much like my S1 (which I didn't have with me, nor would I be allowed to bring it into the vendor area...they kicked me out with my Outdoor Soprano as it was). Both the 5K and the Konter are Koa...but every ukulele can be different.

I hope the link works in Canada: https://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-Uku...onter+Ukulele&qid=1566601795&s=gateway&sr=8-1

As for the sound between that and the 5K, there were only 4 ukuleles of Martin's on display, no one came to talk to me about them, and I just played them a while. The 5K looked beautiful, but just didn't sound alive. The Konter is finished very simply...as it already has all the signatures on it already...and just resonated, much like my S1 (which I didn't have with me, nor would I be allowed to bring it into the vendor area...they kicked me out with my Outdoor Soprano as it was). Both the 5K and the Konter are Koa...but every ukulele can be different.

You are totally right that every uke can be different. I never liked my 2k soprano. My first 3 cherry soprano had a terrible sound but I got it replaced and the second one is my fav. soprano uke to date. The S1 is great but my S2 trumped it. Hey, I did a YT video review about an Outdoor Ukulele soprano uke a few years back. I gave it away to a uke friend. I was following Marie Kondo's ukulele decluttering strategy... hehehe

Thanks for the BOOK LINK! It works! Thanks! Great! Available in CANADA by Amazon.ca. I'm ordering it right now.

Petey

Last edited:
I am partial to my Konter. Martin did everything right with this ukulele. It's light as a feather, built like the vintage style 1's and just has a resonance and feel that make it stand apart from the rest. As you can tell, it's among my favorite Martins. I too have the hardcover book to go along with my Konter. I've had mine about 6 months. Here's a couple pictures.

Konter-2.jpg

konter-1.jpg

Jim

I am partial to my Konter. Martin did everything right with this ukulele. It's light as a feather, built like the vintage style 1's and just has a resonance and feel that make it stand apart from the rest. As you can tell, it's among my favorite Martins. I too have the hardcover book to go along with my Konter. I've had mine about 6 months. Here's a couple pictures.
Jim

Great pix. Thanks.

Petey

I keep thinking about your Konter, and the one I played at Summer NAMM was a lovely ukulele (better sounding than the 5K, in my opinion).

Yes, the price was pretty good, at $1,399, compared with a street price of $1,999. Mine is indistinguishable from a new one, and it came with the Martin case.

Great price Jerry.

Hey, I just noticed we've probably hijacked the OP's thread. If you want to start a thread just about Martin Konter owners, I'll participate and we can post photos and chat about the Konters. I have quite a few photos I can share with some closeups of the signatures, etc.

Jim

Yes, the price was pretty good, at $1,399, compared with a street price of $1,999. Mine is indistinguishable from a new one, and it came with the Martin case.

Do these instruments have the new Martin premium strings? I have not seen much mention of them on the forums or other places. I would be interested in hearing what people think. I have used them on a couple of instruments and have favorable impressions.

Konter-2.jpg

konter-1.jpg

Jim

Excellent!

Do these instruments have the new Martin premium strings? I have not seen much mention of them on the forums or other places. I would be interested in hearing what people think. I have used them on a couple of instruments and have favorable impressions.

Mine was used, and it came with red strings. They were wound the wrong direction on the G and A pegs - another hint that they are not original. I like the look.

That Bamboo model is made from HPL and has the appearance of bamboo, correct?

Yes, it has those Bamboo splotches on the HPL. Originally I thought they were manufacturing defects. LOL My Bamboo was the 2017 one with the non-rosewood fretboad and natural color. That's why I can bring it across borders without worrying about CITES.

Yes, the thread's topic has evolved but the original question was completely answered about the OXK being discontinued. We expanded on what Martin has been discontinuing and the original poster realized he should probably get a Bamboo OX through the discussions which is very helpful. Yeah, the Konter uke went off the rails but it's all good. However, we can continue on about the Konter uke here:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140850-Konter-Uke-Book-Arrived

Petey

Last edited:

Konter-2.jpg

Jim

Did you change the strings? I notice the G and A strings are wound to the inside of the pegs, rather than the outside. Does yours have a wonderful smell?

No worries on the thread, the conversation evolved and became more interesting than the original subject.

I found a natural bamboo for $240, and that was reasonable. I'll post pictures when it arrives, but I think we all know what it looks like. :D

All this talk put me in the mood for a bamboo. I ordered one off reverb for $299. As cheap as I could find one.

Top Bottom