Could the DAVA pick be the pick for UKE?

timmit65

Reaction score
I just picked up some of these..... https://www.davapick.com/picks
I did some playing and recording with them on Sop and Concert Uke and they're the first picks that I've used on Uke that aren't too "Attacky" sounding.

Anyone tried them?

I have a bunch of Dava picks in different colors. Not only are they less “attacky” sounding, I also find them easy to hold. They are my favorite (closely followed by the Wedgie pick, which has no attack sound at all).

Ok this is very interesting, thanks for the heads up on these. Their appears to be three materials to choice from, delrin, nylon and gel. Which are you using, have you tried all three or just played one type and liked it and stayed with it???

Interesting thing with picks is that I always get like double the volume from what I get from my fingers, even with nails.
And loose the intimacy when singing at home with them. So I don't need a pick at home when just singing to myself.

Many top ukulele players might have better nail structure from mine, as they never use picks.

These are my favorites too for guitar and uke. I have heavier picks for mandolin. You can get a trial pack with all three types to try them out. I think I like the delrin ones but I don’t object to the nylon. It could be the other way around. I have both in my jar and switch. I’m not 100% sure which are which after I’ve opened the pack, and they don’t have any obvious (to me) identifiers. I don’t particularly like the transparent ones, which I think are the gels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 13
These are my favorites too for guitar and uke. I have heavier picks for mandolin. You can get a trial pack with all three types to try them out. I think I like the delrin ones but I don’t object to the nylon. It could be the other way around. I have both in my jar and switch. I’m not 100% sure which are which after I’ve opened the pack, and they don’t have any obvious (to me) identifiers. I don’t particularly like the transparent ones, which I think are the gels.

Thanks for the info and good to hear you like them for guitar as well. I see you have Dunlop Primetones in your jar. Those as well as the Dunlop Ultex, both in .088 and 1.0 mm are my two favorite guitar picks

In the attached pix, I'm having great luck with the 3 multicolored picks on Uke. The solid green Dava has been around, I, personally, don't like it for anything. Let me know if anyone else buys the multicolored Davas and like them on Uke.

Jan D, weird also my wife's name and initial! I repped Boulder Creek Guitars for a year. At the time, they owned Wedgie. I really like the flex pick on mandolin and 12 guitars. I never found one I liked on Uke. Which Wedgie do you use on uke?IMG_1076 copy.jpg

In the attached pix, I'm having great luck with the 3 multicolored picks on Uke. The solid green Dava has been around, I, personally, don't like it for anything. Let me know if anyone else buys the multicolored Davas and like them on Uke.

Jan D, weird also my wife's name and initial! I repped Boulder Creek Guitars for a year. At the time, they owned Wedgie. I really like the flex pick on mandolin and 12 guitars. I never found one I liked on Uke. Which Wedgie do you use on uke?View attachment 121840

My Dava picks are red, blue, and yellow. Until this thread, I didn't realize that meant they were made of different materials! Other than the color, they all seemed the same to me. Not too discerning, am I? Will need to pay closer attention the next time I use them.

For my ukes, I like the rubber Wedgies. I have them in three different shades of gray (each color represents a different degree of firmness). Hopefully I get bonus points for recognizing that they don't all feel the same. :)

I also like felt picks for my concert uke. I thought I'd hate the thickness but it actually doesn't feel as weird as I thought it would.

I'll have to get some Dava picks to try out. They sound intriguing.

Top Bottom