eBay Koaloha

Good question, hadn't heard that it was in production.

These prototypes are from at least a decade earlier. In video, they found them when they moved to their new location. So back in the "oughts" they went into production, but Pops stopped when he could not keep up with demand since he was personally making them.

From an earlier UU post from Ed Fiscella:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?143151-Sharing-a-note-from-Pops
Firstly, the Pineapple Sunday has been out on the market for over 15 years or so and has acquired a famous status around the world as a unique designed ukulele that also sounds incredible. The original version with the debossed grid also adds tremendously to the effect of creating the "look" of a pineapple's exterior without detracting from the koa wood face grain texture. This combination worked successfully well and I couldn't keep up with orders placed by large dealers as well as individual customers so I decided to stop production because, after all, I am the only person handcrafting each one meticulously. The debossing process involves a lot of time and when I recently decided to reactivate this version, I edited the debossing grid lines to a bare minimum which worked in favor of exposing the grain even more on the face. This satisfies the "purists" who want to see ukulele faces with curly grain configurations. I am presently handcrafting these minimal grid face PIneapple Sundays along with the painted versions

Last edited:
My observation of ukes being sold on eBay from Japan, they're tremendously overpriced. Just saying.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

My observation of ukes being sold on eBay from Japan, they're tremendously overpriced. Just saying.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Generally speaking that's true - like $800 for a Flea - but this Scepter is reasonably priced. I'm amazed that there's no description of it, and look at the title: Ukulele KOALOHA Beauty products. I see it has the Crown Bridge. I wonder how many were made with that. I'm guessing it's a tenor, since the tuning knobs are sticking out the side. The concerts have the friction knobs behind the headstock.

EDIT: One reason that crown bridge was discontinued was production difficulties. It was very difficult for the workers to sand and spray it multiple times because of the intricate shape, as Pops say in the video linked above. I take back what I said about the tuners. It looks like they were added by a previous owner. They open-geared, and they don't line up very well with the shape of the headstock. Also, this uke has seventeen frets, the same as the concert.

Last edited:
Top Bottom