NUD: Kamaka HF-1 (2019), my first and last Kamaka

AustinHing

Reaction score
Hope this doesn’t bored you. A short story long.

The thoughts of owning a Kamaka been haunting me for a while. I have been saving my ukulele funds for a Kamaka Concert Bell Ohta San. When it finally presented itself in front of me earlier at the local uke shop, I did not pull the trigger on it. It didn’t appeal to me as much as I have anticipated.

Instead, the kamaka that caught my eye is a soprano with the plainest looking koa among the bunch of new Kamaka shipment (2 tenors hf-3, a long neck pineapple, Ohta-San, a long neck concert hf-2L and the HF-1).

I played the soprano and I can’t put it down. I did nicely asked the sales person if I could try it. It’s the lightest uke I have ever hold. Almost weightless and yet is solidly built. In this 2019 build, Kamaka seems to have mellowed on the mirror type gloss finish. More of a satin gloss. The same can be said of all the 2019 kamakas that are hanging on the wall.

About the sound, definitely not the loudest and not exactly a bark when strum hard, when compared to my Martin S1 stringed with m600. But this is with the Kamaka stock black strings, which I like as well. I presumed it is capable of the soprano bark if stringed with the m600.

The sound could be describe as sweet but not mellow. And the body does vibrate strong when not held close to chest. A clear indication of long sustains. Intonations are all good and it still rings fine beyond the 12th fret. Note separation is there as well. The neck is comfortable to play although it is not the widest neck. This uke deserves a 10 out of 10 for sound and playability. I would called it balanced, an all-rounder uke.

And this uke is so good that I kept holding onto it until I finally paid at the cashier. I was so afraid to hang it back onto the wall for someone else could just snatch my prize away. And the shop was filled with customers.

Only after I paid for my kamaka, i felt safe that I can put it down to try the rest of the Kamakas. I then ask the shop owner for permission to try the Ohta San. It was hanged so high up on the wall like a revered holy relic to be worshipped. He naturally obliged since I could potentially buy the Ohta San as well!

The Ohta San is of course the nicest looking of the bunch, with the highly figured koa with a stripe of sap wood running through in the middle. And then I play the Ohta San for the first time. immediately I knew that this is not the uke for me. Everything was great, the sound, the playability but it was just not the ukulele for me. My UAS for an Ohta San ended right there.

And I’m glad i got the HF-1 as my Kamaka to own. Because no way I’m able to get another Kamaka. My wife makes sure of it. Haha!

So here’s a couple of pictures to prove that it happened.

Nice solid case. Nothing fancy and very serious looking.
wl6MPbtl.jpg

And the precious cargo that’s within it. The Kamaka HF-1 standard ukulele. Made in 2019.
o4W3YXLl.jpg

I wish I could take more pictures but I was in a rush to attend to an urgent matter. Will post more pics later!

Congratulations! You got a great instrument, and you were able to play it before you bought it.

Thanks Jerry! I was really lucky to have such a local uke shop with so much quality ukes to try out. KoAloha, Kanile’a, aNueNue etc.

What a great tale! Thanks for telling it, and have a great weekend with your new "friend". :)

(and yes, more pix, please!)

Yes, you are lucky - in a way. If I had such a shop nearby, I'd have even more ukes. Where is that shop?

I believe you are already the man with the most ukes.

It’s located in a tiny island country called Singapore. The shop name is Ukulele Movement and here’s the website. I think they do international shipping or perhaps you could come over for a holiday!
https://ukulelemovement.com

What a great tale! Thanks for telling it, and have a great weekend with your new "friend". :)

(and yes, more pix, please!)

Thanks Kathryn! Defined more pics serving up soon!

Just checked the local uke website and the Ohta San is sold! I’m glad I had my chance to play it. Haha!

Instead, the kamaka that caught my eye is a soprano with the plainest looking koa among the bunch of new Kamaka shipment (2 tenors hf-3, a long neck pineapple, Ohta-San, a long neck concert hf-2L and the HF-1).

Congratulations! And you are very fortunate to have such a well-stocked local uke store.

I can see why you had to have it. Wish we had a uke store with even one Kamaka.

Congratulations!
I really like the look. I know that highly figured koa is something that a lot of people want, but I really like the look of the "plainer" koa like your soprano, too.
But, most important of all, you're really happy with it, and you found a very special ukulele for yourself.
Enjoy it!

Congratulations! And you are very fortunate to have such a well-stocked local uke store.

Thanks, Merlin! The boss said he placed the shipment order from Kamaka more than 6 months ago and they finally arrived 2 days ago.

I can see why you had to have it. Wish we had a uke store with even one Kamaka.

I was almost on the verge of buying from the internet and then the local uke shop updated their website with a page filled with Kamakas. I pressed page refresh for three times to make sure it’s not a page error.

Congratulations!
I really like the look. I know that highly figured koa is something that a lot of people want, but I really like the look of the "plainer" koa like your soprano, too.
But, most important of all, you're really happy with it, and you found a very special ukulele for yourself.
Enjoy it!

Thank you, Joyful! It is my forever ukulele and can’t wait to put some strum marks on it.

Congratulations Austin! The big K, how wonderful :D

Thanks Penny! It’s a huge deal for me to own one of the Ks. I’d consider it an early Xmas present.

Move to downtown Honolulu, mere blocks from the Kamaka shop and showroom. And, if that doesn't do it for you, TheUkuleleSite (HMS) is two blocks away.

That would be a dream to live in Hawaii!

As promised, more pictures! The system allows only 4 images in a post. The rest will come later.

There’s just so many different looks to a koa body. Despite not the Curly Koa type, it still shimmer when the light reflects off at different angles.
OaqrIFLl.jpg

Another full view of the 2019 build, the gloss finish now is more semi gloss instead of the mirror type gloss. No more finger marks!
y46mwYxl.jpg

The only inlay and need no more deco
zuHTBcSl.jpg

Extremely smooth UPT, should be Gotoh.
KIFLLuvl.jpg

More to come!

Still the same label design for 2019 birth certificate
71FvXdVl.jpg

I like Kamaka’s idea of even putting in the actual build date
4nHaq1al.jpg

A single side dot marker. Kamaka still uses rose wood for fretboard
g9Erye0l.jpg

The bone bridge is compensated and the saddle is a slot hole type
IvyzJs0l.jpg

More to come!

There are these dark streaks running across the body. They are only seen at certain light reflection angles. Amazing looking.
flSJWBj.jpg

Also shown on the sides
s6GVY8Xl.jpg

Neck is built out of a single piece mahogany.
qex5Yk8l.jpg

Ok, that’s all for the NUD pics.

And just wanted to say I most probably won’t have thought of owning a Kamaka if it wasn’t for UU forum. This place is such a crazy but good little neighborhood filled with a bunch of enablers. Haha!

And if you kind folks don’t mind entertaining my playing, I will post a sound demo of the ukulele with the stock black strings later.

Wow it's a beauty. Congratulations enjoy your Strumming

Congrats on your new Kamaka!
I've only seen one around here, a vintage soprano owned by an older gent.
He let me try it once, and wow, what a sound.

Congrats on your new Kamaka!
I've only seen one around here, a vintage soprano owned by an older gent.
He let me try it once, and wow, what a sound.

Thanks Nickie! The Kamakas do have a lingering effect once you tried one. And I caught the bug bad. There’s plenty of vintage kamaka sopranos on eBay, you know. ‘Wink’

Top Bottom